starting strength gym
Page 620 of 659 FirstFirst ... 120520570610618619620621622630 ... LastLast
Results 6,191 to 6,200 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I really jacked up my back with those squats. Bad muscle spasms beset me immediately afterwards and I have had to get adjusted Friday, Monday, Tuesday and then again today after lifting this morning.

Cycle 4, Week 1, Sets of 5@ 90% of 1RM.

Deadlift: 95-5, 185-5. Too sore to continue.

Hammer Leg Press: 390 lbs. @ 65%, 450 lbs. @ 75%, 515 lbs. @ 85%.

Music: Run Through the Jungle, Fire Down Below, Shipping Up to Boston, Tusk, Gimme Shelter, Purple Haze, Hot Blooded, We Will Rock You, Folsom Prison Blues, Madman Across the Water.

44 minutes average HR 131 BPM @ 87% of MHR.

The back issues have lingered over the weekend and I wasn't up to squats this morning. So it was rounds of speed bag, cable rotations, elliptical, heavy bag, plate halos, crunch, and supine ball toss.

34 minutes average HR 125 BPM @ 83% of MHR.

I have another session with the chiro this morning. My back hasn't been this messed up for years. Not the best time for it with 6 weeks out from the North American Championships either. I may have to adjust my goals and settle for setting a new national record in the bench press rather than an additional new world record for the deadlift. It's my own fault too, I let too much time go between routine tune ups.

Still nursing the back, so more conditioning in the gym today. Rounds of medicine ball slams, speed bag, side bends, SciFit, and heavy bag. Interspersed with that were some air squats to depth followed by some more with the bar on my back just to check on how just the movement affected my knee and back. Felt fine.

30 minutes average HR 155 BPM @ 104% of MHR.

Cycle 4, Week 2, Sets of 3@ 90% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 155 lbs. @ 70%, 175 lbs. @ 80%, 190 lbs. @ 90%.

Push Press: 95 lbs. @ 70%, 110 lbs. @ 80%, 120 lbs. @ 90%.

Pulldown: 130 lbs. @ 70%, 150 lbs. @ 80%, 1165 lbs. @ 90% 6 reps.

Cable Curls: 195 for 3 sets of 8.

Music: Better Be Good to Me, Lincoln Park Pirates, Devil in a Blue Dress, Marine Corps Spirit, Hot Rod Lincoln, Requiem, The Boys Are Back in Town, Smoke on the Water, Start Me Up, Copperhead Road, White Rabbit, Star and Stripes Forever, Kashmir.

49 minutes average HR 114 BPM @ 75% of MHR.

My goals definitely have to be reconsidered at this point. My knee and back are limiting my ability to squat well. Earlier this year, I learned that a danged rooskie had set a world record in the bench press at 242, and over the weekend I learned that my national record in the bench press had been beaten at 237. I can't possibly do better than 220, and maybe 225 as my bench press seems to have declined by 10 pounds in the last 18 months when I had been managing a 235 bench press. No more. That leaves my national and world records in the deadlift intact, so I have to be content with those I suppose.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu tonight. Between the knee and my back it's been tough trying to teach. Besides the purple belt techniques tonight, I warmed Ken up with some visualization exercises to help him work with his flow of energy through his hands without having to flex muscles. In other words, avoid putting on the gorilla suit. It seemed to help since he started moving through the techniques a little more easily.

Near the end of the session I introduced some blocking techniques I had seen over the weekend in a Zoom session from the home dojo in SoCal. I had learned these myself but forgotten about them until I saw them again. One is called a flag block. The blocking hand is left open and blocks outward and down with a loose wrist that snaps down at the same time just before impact. It's a painful block (for the attacker) and opens them up for several follow up counters. The other is a two handed alternating block that causes the attacker's arm to drop.

This was a little taxing on my back so I'm relaxing with a heating pad on it now.

Deadlift: 235 lbs. @ 70%, 270 lbs. @ 80%, 305 lbs. @ 90%. Rep #3 was hard but not a killer. I probably had one more in me, but was grateful for the back handling this much as well as it did. So I declared victory.

Hammer Leg Press: 420 lbs. @ 70%, 480 lbs. @ 80%, 545 lbs. @ 90%, with 6 reps.

Music: Star Wars, Immigrant Song, Takin' a Ride, You Shook Me All Night Long, Discombobulate, Respect, Ghost Riders in the Sky, George of the Jungle, Hawaii 5-0, Round and Round, Hot Legs, Break on Through to the Other Side, Build Me Up Buttercup, Rescue Me, Haka, When the Levee Breaks.

59 minutes average HR 135 BPM @ 90% of MHR.

Best night's sleep I've had in forever. Probably the cooler weather. My back was around 90% plus which is a huge bonus.

Seated Press: 115 lbs. @ 70%, 135 lbs. @ 80%, 150 lbs. @ 90%.

Pullover and Press: 95 lbs. for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer Row: 230 lbs. @ 70%, 250 lbs. @ 80%, 280 lbs. @ 90% 5 reps.

Cable Curls: 195 for 3 sets of 8.

Music: Also Sprach Zarathustra, Locomotive Breath, Tainted Love, Walk This Way, King of Pain, Rescue Me, Dragnet, Double Vision, Day-O, Pain jody call, Ballroom Blitz, Crazy on You, Sledgehammer, 18 Hammers, Runaway, Black Dog.

58 minutes average HR 128 BPM @ 85% of MHR.

While working at the Ducky Derby for Special Olympics was not physically demanding, it did take a toll on my back. So time for another adjustment with the chiropractor. Also my neck got cramped up the night before. All of which made for a really bad night's sleep last night. Even so, I limped in and got in all my reps and then some. I have got to get my back squared away for next month or the meet will just mess me up even worse.

Cycle 4, Week 3, Test singles @ 90% of 1RM.

Squat: 170 lbs. @ 75%, 195 lbs. @ 85%, 215 lbs. @ 95%. I tried another single at 235 but doubt I made depth. My back started to twinge.

Music: Ride of the Valkyries, We Will Rock You, In the Hall of the Mountain King, Shaft, Canadian Railroad Trilogy, Weird Science, Marine Corps Spirit, Think, Gove Me Three Steps Mister.

51 minutes average HR 130 BPM @ 87% of MHR.

So far so good on my back. Also my neck, which was so jacked up since Sunday, I could barely turn my head to drive safely. Although this does not bode all that well for a good total from an anemic squat.

Bench Press: 155 lbs. @ 75%, 175 lbs. @ 85%, 195 lbs. @ 95%. I tried another single at 220 after enlisting a spot from a young guy who looked like he was trying for a part as an extra in some viking movie. It went up with a slight grind. I probably could have made 225 if Id tried it instead of 220.

Push Press: 100 lbs. @ 75%, 110 lbs. @ 85%, 125 lbs. @ 95%. Made another single with 135.

Pulldown: 125 lbs. @ 75%, 155 lbs. @ 85%, 175 lbs. @ 95%. Made another single with 195.

Cable Curl: 100 for 3 sets of 8.

Music: Whole Lotta Love, Lunatic Fringe, Chain of Fools, Cantina theme.

51 minutes average HR 120 BPM @ 81% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program

Deadlift: 95-5, 135-5, 185-3, 245 lbs. @ 75%, 280 lbs. @ 85%, 315 lbs. @ 95%. I took a shot at 355, thinking it was close enough to the 358 I'd need to break my own world record. The plates broke off the floor without too much trouble, but I began to stall as the bar got just under my kneecaps, a typical sticking point for the lift. I considered hauling hard and going for it, but then considered the consequences of an injury. Hopefully I can get this at the meet.

Music: Mars the Bringer of War, Gloria, Rhapsody in Blue, Relax, Hazy Shade of Winter, Don't Stop Believing, Mustang Sally, Phantom of the Opera Overture, Rollin' on the River.

48 minutes average HR 123 BPM @ 83% of MHR.

I'm paying for that run at 355 on the installment plan. My bum right knee is aching and my back is feeling the strain. Not bad strain, not like a couple of weeks ago, but needing some recovery.