starting strength gym
Page 624 of 659 FirstFirst ... 124524574614622623624625626634 ... LastLast
Results 6,231 to 6,240 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Another Special Olympian coaching and training session. Cycling the poundage back up with Jereth gradually to get him ready to exceed his earlier efforts in the regional qualifier and later the Summer Games. He's a little undecided if he'll compete in powerlifting or maybe try to blow out his old state record in the shot put. I told him that his decision on that is entirely his own and he won't disappoint me if he picks the shot put. Either way, his work in the gym will get him stronger for any event he picks to compete in. The was Summer Games is set up, the track and field events take place at the same time as powerlifting, but a mile or so apart. So an athlete can't do both.

He hitched up his belt for deadlifts and the last hole was still a little loose. Jereth hasn't lost any weight since Summer Games, so he has clearly put on muscle mass and leaned out. Good signs. I have the belt I got for him and am going to get some more holes punched in it.

Cycle 6, Week 4, Sets of 5-5-5 @ 90% of 1RM. Deload.

Warmup: Rowing, lunge stretch, deep squat hold.

Squats: 95 @ 40%, 115 @ 50%, 135 @ 60%. Good thing this was a deload. My back was still feeling that 355 deadlift last week.

High Pulls: 70 @ 40%, 90 @ 50%, 115 @ 60%.

Music: 1812 Overture, All Along the Watchtower, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Fame, Canadian Railroad Trilogy, Ramble On, Tush, Round and Round Tarzan Boy, Rock Steady.

48 minutes average HR 126 BPM @ 85% of MHR.

A late start to the gym had me doing a quick Graded Exercise Protocol (GXP). This consisted of ramping up the intensity on an elliptical for 5 minutes getting the heart rate up to 85% of Maximum Heart Rate, keeping it there for 5 minutes, then cooling down for 5 minutes.

ycle 6, Week 4, Sets of 5-5-5 @ 90% of 1RM. Deload.

Bench Press: 80 @ 40%, 110 @ 50%, 130 @ 60%.

Swiss Press: 55 @ 40%, 70 @ 50%, 80 @ 60%.

Swiss Press: 55 @ 40%, 70 @ 50%, 80 @ 60%.

Pulldown: 90 @ 40%, 110 @ 50%, 130 @ 60%.

Cable Curl: 85 for 3 sets of 8.

Music: We Are the Champions, Peter Gunn theme, Tusk, Volga Boatmen, Smoke on the Water, Dragonstone, Miami Vice.

31 minutes average HR 126 BPM @ 85% of MHR.

Ball Cap.jpg

Back to working on what looks like the final stages of Ken's progress in Purple Belt 2nd degree. His movements are coming together with very few flaws. Next step are the chokes and strangles along with some other things of Green Belt. He'll be promoted soon.

I was a total slug and slept in today. Despite resolving to get into SOME gym (SIU Rec Center is closed for the holiday) to lift. My back recovering from my deadlift last week was a big factor for not lifting. So off to the chiro for an adjustment. Much better. Tomorrow then. There's a price to be exacted for some successes in the gym.

Cycle 6, Week 4, Sets of 5-5-5 @ 90% of 1RM. Deload.

Deadlifts: 145 @ 40%, 180 @ 50%, 215 @ 60%.

Hip Belt Squats: Sets of 8, 145-145.

Music: Hair of the Dog, You Dropped a Bomb on Me, Suicide Blond, Pain, Haka, War Requiem, Chain of Fools, Living in America.

48 minutes average HR 126 BPM @ 85% of MHR.

I lifted at the Carbondale Legacy. It's only a few miles from Casa de Hurling por Lago and although I paid $10 for a guest pass, I wanted to support the gyms that accommodate the Special Olympians for free.

It's been a tough slog the last several days. I've been battling my back being out and dreary weather and a general malaise. So no lifting or other such until the back settles down at least. Maybe then I can overcome my case of the blahs over training myself.

But tonight was about coaching the Special Olympics folks. Still cycling up the poundage and allowing for the upcoming state bowling championships so the lifters won't get dinged on their performance at that.

Then there's the promotion to Green Belt for Ken tomorrow at Jujitsu. Gotta keep at stuff.

Ball Cap.jpg

Just back home from Ken's promotion to Green Belt tonight. I managed to round up the Karate and Aikido teachers to witness and congratulate him, along with the students of the Aikido class. Since he was being promoted to a new belt color a little ceremony was part of the proceedings from the California dojo. We kneel across from each other and bow. He folds his purple belt into quarters and sets it on the mat. I set the green belt on the mat in front of it. We bow and I take the purple belt and hand him the green belt to tie on. Then I tie the purple belt into what we call the knot of knowledge so as to preserve all the sweat and effort he put into that belt. One last bow and done.

Then off to begin teaching the arts of choking and strangling. It's serious stuff but not nearly as ooga-booga dangerous as the absurd misinformation ill-informed community organizers, media, and politicians have made of what they are. It was a short session tonight starting with the anatomy and physiology of the difference between choking (pinching off the air in the windpipe) and strangling (pinching off the carotid arteries to the brain). Then some practice and application. It's been over 6 years since I have done this and I told Ken it might take a session or so before I got back into the swing of putting someone under in 4 seconds with a strangle. But on the second round of practice he tapped out in 2 seconds. Still got it.

As mentioned earlier, I've been battling through body issues and the blahs for over a week. I may be overtrained. Again. Dang it. So maybe a hiatus from lifting is in order to recover. I find I am sleeping A LOT at night, which is not entirely a bad thing, and then napping for 45 minutes to sometimes 2 hours in the afternoon. And STILL feeling like my brain is slightly out of it.

Time to choose. Break from my own lifting for a bit or maybe get burnt out to the point I can't deliver for the people who have come to rely on me, like the Special Olympic athletes and Ken. I've already had to cancel some Jujitsu sessions because of injuries in the gym. Gotta get recovered to do better. Or at least not worse.

starting strength coach development program
    Mark, what is your programming like these days? I sort of came up with one (really bits and pieces of other programs) that I really like.

In short it’s 3 weeks of regular LP programming followed by a recovery week, then 2 weeks of alternating higher volume with high intensity (sort of like the Texas method) also followed by a recovery week. Then it’s a week of testing 1RM and maybe some goofing off, also followed by a week of recovery.(for lack of a better name I call it the ABC program)

Recovery weeks should consist of active recovery, optimal is probably 2 light workouts. Sometimes those workout don’t happen, and it’s ok too.

Start with conservative loads, and each 9 week cycle add weight to what you did 9 weeks ago. You don’t have to always progress each part of the program. You might add 5-15 lbs to a lift every 9 weeks, or depending on how wiped out you were last time, maybe a deload would be in order
    I’ve been trying to get a massage on recovery weeks.

Anyway, you get the idea. It didn’t seem like something that would work with 3 of 9 weeks being recovery, but I set lifetime PR’s doing that about 6 years ago. I’m running it now and remembering why I liked it.

In any case, good luck balancing your training and life.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 11-30-2022 at 10:29 PM.