starting strength gym
Page 628 of 659 FirstFirst ... 128528578618626627628629630638 ... LastLast
Results 6,271 to 6,280 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The Special Olympians were training tonight. Sheridan's balance continues to improve in the squat, and she was getting the bar off the bench press rack with less effort and more stability. Jacob far exceeded my expectations in all of his lifts tonight. Lena is working on closing in on her state record of last year in the bench press and making some small tweaks to her deadlift form to do even better in that lift. Jereth too is closing in on his state records and will almost certainly blow past them with ease. Kaydee's bench press work requires very little spotting and is inching up in poundage. Her deadlift form is coming along well too.

It was a great night to be a coach, seeing the athletes getting better.

Hepburn routine starting with 4 singles @ 90% of 1RM, working up to 10 singles and a backoff set of 5 @ 75% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 200, 1-1-1-1-1 and 165 for 5.

Hammer High Row: 260, 1-1-1-1-1 and 220 for 5.

Hammer Curls: Sets of 12, 150-155-160.

Knee and hip flexor stretches, cable dislocates.

Music: Hot Blooded, Fire Down Below, Prussia's Glory, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Kickstart My Heart, Under Pressure, I Want to Be Sedated, Chain of Fools, Maniac, Star Wars Cantina, Hard Work, Crazy on You, Let It Ride, Blinded By the Light.

62 minutes average HR 117 BPM @ 79% of MHR.

Ball Cap.jpg

The start of the first Jujitsu session of the new year with Ken. I was thinking a few new students might show up, but nope.

We began with working on the rear naked choke and the rear naked strangle. I'd shown them to Ken in January in a general way, but tonight I had him apply them both on me. The choke is an easier technique to learn and he picked up on it pretty quickly, with a little tweak and fine tuning here and there. The nuances of the strangle require some finesse in getting the neck muscles sitting over the carotid artery retracted. It hurts a lot, even when not done correctly, and I had to tap out from the pain several times until he began to get it a little better. He's got a fair amount of work ahead of him to master this technique.

From there we worked on the front choke. It's taught from the defender blocking a roundhouse and throwing a low ridge hand to the groin and then encircling his neck, choking him, and then grabbing his chin in a neck crank and taking him down with it along with a hearty blow to the shoulder blade. He got the choke down reasonably well. The rest will sort itself out in time.

I took a break from the chokes and strangles with some teaching on the yawara (short stick) on grabs, blocks and strikes with it. It was a much needed respite for me.

We finished with practicing a very pinning and smothering technique. It's generally regarded as strictly a move for competition, but it has it's uses when used to constrict the ability to breathe.

Hepburn routine starting with 4 singles @ 90% of 1RM, working up to 10 singles and a backoff set of 5 @ 75% of 1RM. 5 singles today. At least that was the plan.

Rowing, knee and hip flexor stretches, cable dislocates. My lower back was feeling strained and dodgy and I was seriously wondering if I should squat today. But I did anyway.

Squat: 215, 1. I'm not sure I hit depth. My back felt the strain coming up from the bottom, so I stopped. I must be doing something wrong in my form. I think I may need some knowledgeable evaluation and coaching to fix this.

High Pulls: 160, 1-1-1-1-1 and 120 for 5. Strangely, this does not bother my back at all. No clue what is going on. But I can't complain about this at least.

Music: Rock You Like a Hurricane, Procession of the Nobles, Fire on High, Back in Black, Rise, Canadian Railroad Trilogy, Fortunate Son, Thunderstruck, We Aren't Going to Take It.

56 minutes average HR 124 BPM @ 83% of MHR.

This morning was rounds of speed bag (my timing was off and I struggled for some reason), SciFit, cable rotation, medicine ball toss, crunches, heavy bag, rowing, hip flexor and knee stretches, shoulder dislocates, overhead hangs.

34 minutes average HR 136 BPM @ 91% of MHR.

Hepburn routine with 5 singles @ 90% of 1RM, working up to 10 singles and a backoff set of 5 @ 75% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 200, 1-1-1-1-1 and 135 for 5.

Pin Press: Sets of 5, 15-165-165.

Hammer Row: 305, 1-1-1-1-1 and 250 for 5.

Music: Run Like Hell, Mars the Bringer of War, Another One Bites the Dust, I'll Be There, Haul Away Joe, Any Way You Want It, Semper Fidelis, Land of Confusion, Get Up Offa That Thing, We Bad We Nationwide, Fired Up, Big Bad John, On the Edge of 17, Gonna Make You Sweat.

64 minutes average HR 134 BPM @ 90% of MHR.

Ball Cap.jpg

Round two of self defense for the Girl Scouts. This was for the older girls, although it looked like some younger ones got in on the mix. All three martial arts folks were doing the demonstration with the Karate people going first. Ken and I taught the girls from the ground up, with falling first, and then how to defend yourself from the ground with kicks and sweeps. This included how to maneuver on the ground to keep their feet between them and the attacker.

From there we had them practice how to deflect a shove, attempt at a grab, or a straight punch. They stepped forward and to the outside and pushing the hand and arm away and across the body of their attacker.

Moving on they learned to escape from unwanted gropes and touching. First from seated positions and then from standing. It included using a right angle hold (sankyo) for an over the shoulder reach like what happens at a movie. Another counter was when a hand strayed to the upper thigh. They were shown how to grab and bar the fingers painfully and then get up and get away.

We finished our teaching segment with how to use ordinary objects at hand to put the hurt on an attacker. Pens, flashlights, umbrellas, and fire extinguishers were the weapons of choice.

At the end of all the segment demonstrations all of us of some of the advanced and flashy techniques. I took Ken down from a punch with a strike to the liver and a trachea grab spinning him into a back fall for the first technique. In the second attack Ken grabbed for me and I took him backward to the ground with a wrist flex, then stepped over his neck and applied a standing armbar and drew my foot back into a choke with my Achilles tendon across his throat. Very unpleasant. I attacked Ken with a roundhouse punch for the last technique and he countered with a ridge hand groin strike into an elbow strike to the back of my neck, moving to a front choke and finishing with a chin lock and slam to my shoulder blade that twisted me into a pretzel and augered me into the mat.

There was a fair amount of moving of mats and equipment for this to set up and then take down again afterward. A tiring afternoon but a rewarding one.

Hepburn routine working up to 6 singles @ 90% of 1RM, working up to 10 singles and a backoff set of 5 @ 75% of 1RM.

Hammer High Row: 260, 1-1-1-1-1-1 and 220 for 5.

Hammer Curls: Sets of 12, 150-155-160.

Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 12, 160.

Music: Locomotive Breath, Death of Siegfried, Black Betty, 18, Lady Marmalade, Cold as Ice, Hair of the Dog, Here We Go, Somebody Like You, Game of Thrones, Suicide Blond, Hold on Loosely, Tush, Ghost Riders in the Sky, Madman Across the Water.

68 minutes average HR 117 BPM @ 79% of MHR.

This was a real test of will. Although my knee has been fine since squatting last week, my back was pretty uncomfortable. This made getting up and down from the bench a real drag. Gonna get cracked later.

The Special Olympics athletes outdid themselves tonight. Sheridan got her feet in position for squats on her own without me putting down some footprint cue guides. Her balance and stability continue to improve, so I don't have to spot her as closely, and and she blew past last week's 50 pounds with a 65 pound squat. Likewise with her bench press, which she has gotten off the rack with no real problems. Her confidence in her deadlift and her warmups prompted me to have her try a 125 pound top single which she did with ease.

Kaydee made a 75 pound bench press, which was 5 pounds more than her 1st place record of 70 pounds at the state Summer Games last year. She is improving her deadlift form by keeping her knees from curving inward and she beat her qualifying record of 145 by 5 pounds with indications she can do even more. Jereth's work with her during the week is paying off.

Lena made a brave effort at benching 100 which is coming for her soon. The cue of pulling her shoulder blades together is paying off in keeping the bar closer to her legs in the deadlift. She's closing in on her Summer Games record of last year.

Jacob beat his Summer Games best of 100 in the squat with what looked like an easy 105. His bench press is coming back as well. He is within 5 pounds of his 175 deadlift last year. This is great progress for two weeks back in lifting.

Jereth blew past his previous best squat by 10 pounds for a 205 piece of cake. He made a 135 bench press with a little strain, and will grind out still more weight soon in this lift. He insisted on trying a 285 deadlift and wants to break 300 in Summer Games. Since his best last year was 265, he seems on course to make it.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing the improvements these brave athletes are making each week.

starting strength coach development program
    Nice to read the progress your having with the trainees.