starting strength gym
Page 629 of 659 FirstFirst ... 129529579619627628629630631639 ... LastLast
Results 6,281 to 6,290 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Nice to read the progress your having with the trainees.
    Thanks Jerry, but the progress is all theirs. I'm still just stumbling my way through helping them be better versions of themselves. Sheridan in particular is really inspiring. The others had been lifting before I got started coaching Special Olympics. Sheridan only started a few weeks ago and has some mild cerebral palsy and has trouble translating verbal instructions in how to move. It took some creativity and patience to crack the code for getting her form to improve. She and a couple of others have some work to do even still, but Sheridan started from noting in all of this.

Some conditioning rounds of plate halos, speed bag, crunches, elliptical, heavy bag, supine medicine ball tosses, hip flexor, knee, and hamstring stretches, finished off with dislocates.

36 minutes @ 117 BPM @79% of MHR.

Ball Cap.jpg

The Karate guy asked if I would teach a class on breakfalls tonight. I included some ground defense along with counters to common takedowns. It was something of a revelation to the Karate folk. They are used to stand up striking and being put in a two dimensional horizontal plane having to defend an attack while on their back on the mat was new to them. Some research I had been doing on vulnerable points on the back added to preparing them for a double leg takedown shoot that they could counter with a sprawl and nasty attack to a hitherto unknown nerve center plexus between the shoulder blades that takes the wind out of the attacker. Along with some advice on things they already knew, like strikes to the back and sides of the neck, and cranks to the neck, they felt better prepared to deal with grapplers.

Deadlift: 95-5, 185-3, 255-1, 325-0, 325-0. Looks like the accumulation of fatigue from Sunday's demo to the Girl Scouts, Monday's lifting and coaching, then Tuesday's conditioning along with the Jujitsu last night whacked me pretty good. Added to that I woke up with a fairly sore back and my knee had me gulping down 800 mg of Naproxen and deciding to start taking Meloxicam for the knee. I could barely break the plates off the floor on my first try. After some real disgust and a few minutes waiting, I tried again. Nada. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow depending on how I feel. This getting old business sucks.

Music: Up Around the Bend, Highway to Hell, Semper Fidelis, Shipping Up to Boston, Copperhead Road, Smoke on the Water, Thunderstruck, Marine Corps Spirit.

38 minutes average HR 122 BPM @ 82% of MHR.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 01-25-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Deadlift: 95-5, 185-3, 255-1, 325-1-1-1-1-1-1. I took another run at it since I woke up feeling reasonably good. Or at least what passes for feeling reasonably good at age 72. I had to dig really deep for the last two singles but managed to eke them out without feeling injured. So far anyway. With nothing else left in the tank, I declared victory.

Music: 1812 Overture, Patton, Takin' a Ride, Gladiator Waltz, Sharp Dressed Man, Cocaine Blues, Rocky, Tainted Love, Rite of Spring, Another One Bites the Dust, Devil with a Blue Dress, Whip It.

55 minutes average HR 131 BPM @ 88% of MHR.

Hepburn routine with 6 singles @ 90% of 1RM, working up to 10 singles and a backoff set of 5 @ 75% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 200, 1-1-1-1-1-1 and 135 for 5.

Pin Press: Sets of 5, 15-165-165.

Hammer Row: 305, 1-1-1-1-1-1 and 250 for 5.

Music: Magnificent 7, Peter Gunn, British Grenadiers, Finlandia, Flashdance, Fire on High, Respect, Dragonstone, Keep Your Hands to Yourself, We're Not Going to Take It, George of the Jungle, Pinball Wizard, Gove Me three Steps Mister, Walk This Way.

57 minutes average HR 117 BPM @ 79% of MHR.

Deload @ 70% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 155,1-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Hammer High Row: 205,1-1-1-1-1-1-1..

Hammer Cable Curl: 100, 12-12-12.

Music: Star Spangled Banner (Hendrix). Smuggler's Blues, Scotland the Brave, The Boys Are Back in Town, Hot Rod Lincoln, Here I Go Again, Tarzan Boy, Shotgun, Midnight Special, Once Bitten Twice Shy, King of Pain, Phantom of the Opera.

44 minutes average HR 131 BPM @ 88% of MHR.

It's been a murderer's row of events since last week. First the cross training of the Karate folk on Tuesday, followed by the failed deadlifts on Wednesday, followed by the successful deadlifts on the next day (Thursday), lifting Friday, another Saturday afternoon selling Special Olympics t-shirts at a girl's softball tournament on crummy folding chairs (killing my back), then teaching self defense to the Brownies on Sunday. Which only doubled down on my back's fatigue. I slept something like 11 hours Saturday and Sunday nights and then a 90 minute nap this afternoon in recovery, thank God. This was after lifting this morning on a much needed planned deload. Powerlifting training for the Special Olympians got cancelled due to a one-two punch of icy rain last night moving into sleet earlier this afternoon. Then Jujitsu tomorrow.

The Brownies were a delight to teach. They were actually better behaved than their older counterparts the Girl Scouts. But the age range was 7-9 so I had to reach back into the Iddy-Biddy Jujitsu simplified kids course I assisted with back in SoCal. It was better suited for kids that age and their shorter attention spans. They really enjoyed the demonstration of advanced counters, takedowns, strangles, and arm locks Ken and I put on at the end. Even better, they helped take up the thin puzzle mats after everything was over without anyone asking. Those little girls just stepped up and volunteered, attacking the task like a company of army ants.

Deload @ 70% of 1RM.

Squat: 170, 1-1-1-1-1-1-1.

High Pulls: 130, 1-1-1-1-1-1-1..

Music: We're an American Band, Maniac, Hard Work, Land of Confusion, Haka, Crazy on You, Blinded by the Light, Living on a Prayer, In a Big Country, Some Like it Hot, Dragnet, You Dropped a Bomb on Me, Hair of the Dog, Heart of Rock and Roll.

63 minutes average HR 135 BPM @ 91% of MHR.

Not an easy session, despite the deload. While my knee seems to be holding up so far, my back has been growling like a suspicious Rottweiler all week.

The knee is still good, happily. So I cranked out some box jumps this morning, along with the speed bag, side bends, supine medicine ball tosses, pummeling the heavy bag, plate haloes, finished off with rowing, hip and knee flexor stretches, and cable dislocates for the shoulders.

32 minutes average HR 130 BPM @ 87% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program
    Deload @ 70% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 135, 1-1-1-1-1-1.

Pin Press: Sets of 5, 95-9595.

Hammer Row: 250, 1-1-1-1-1-1.

Music: Locomotive Breath, When the Bullet Hits the Bone.

37 minutes average HR 121 BPM @ 81% of MHR.