starting strength gym
Page 630 of 659 FirstFirst ... 130530580620628629630631632640 ... LastLast
Results 6,291 to 6,300 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hepburn routine with 7 singles @ 90% of 1RM, working up to 10 singles and a backoff set of 5 @ 75% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 200, 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 and 165 for 5.

Hammer High Row: 260, 1-1-1-1-11-1-1-1-1-1-1 and 220 for 5.

Hammer Curls: Sets of 12, 150-155-160.

Knee and hip flexor stretches, cable dislocates.

Music: Immigrant Song, Hot Blooded, Dueling Banjos, Here I Go Again, Rescue Me, On the Edge of 17, Unchain My Heart, Hell's Bells, Rock Me Amadeus, Let's Get It Up, Washington Post March, Runaway.

What a night training the Special Olympians! There were a couple of muttonheads by the squat racks using a LOT of weight and squatting badly and unsafely. I decided to not have anyone squat tonight because I didn't want to be within 50 feet of them. We moved over to the bench press. Sure enough, one of them ended up on the floor moaning.

Several of the lifters were recovering from a basketball game this past weekend where the team they play for won 3rd place. Two others were snowshoeing in the Winter Games the week before. Even so, they all put their best efforts into deadlifts. Their form in this lift continues to improve and Jacob and Jereth knocked out 10 reps and 6 reps respectively on their last sets of what were supposed to be 5 reps. Lena is keeping her shoulders back and Kaydee has improved greatly in keeping her knees from caving inward.

Even though we didn't squat tonight, I wanted to work with Sheridan to work on her squat form. Some people have problems facing a mirror when they squat, it's not uncommon, and Sheridan is one of them. Unfortunately Legacy, like many gyms, has mirrors all over. Including by the squat racks. So I have had her facing away from the mirrors and walking the bar out forward to get her squat form grooved. You work on one thing at a time and then move on to the next element of what to tune up.

I explained what I was planning to do and told her to not look at the mirror, but at the chrome strip at the bottom. First with no bar on her back until I was satisfied she had the concept down. Just to be safe, I asked if she had kept her eyes open so it wouldn't compromise her balance. She handled those things just fine, so I had her try squatting with an empty bar on her back. Jereth stayed after to assist and give her some tips as well. Turns out, he's a fair hand at coaching himself. She has improved so much from the start. I wasn't sure she could squat safely at first, but she has come along quite well.

Nice work Mark.

Thanks Jerry. Working with those athletes is tiring but very rewarding.

Hepburn routine with 7 singles @ 90% of 1RM, working up to 10 singles

Deadlift: 95-5, 185-3, 255-1, 325-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Hip Belt Squats: 185, 8-8.

Music: O Fortuna, Rawhide, Back in Black, The Battle (Gladiator), San Quentin Blues, Discombobulate, Working in a Coal Mine, Shaft, Lunatic Fringe, Dream On, My Granddaddy Was a Horse Marine, Black Dog, Round and Round.

71 minutes average HR 130 BPM @ 87% of MHR.

Between deadlift sets I noticed a young woman across the way doing squats with pink collars on the bar. Never having seen those in the Rec Center before I walked over and asked if those collars were hers.

"Why yes they are."

"Well they bring a nice splash of color to the weight room."

We both had a chuckle.

Ball Cap.jpg

Last week's snow/sleet/ice storm shut down coaching the Special Olympians and Jujitsu. But back to both now.

I was working on chokes and strangles with Ken. But first we reviewed something he had texted me about earlier this week during his training session in Shotokan Karate. His instructor in that art detailed out some techniques found in one of their katas that no had explained to HIM until he was a 2nd degree black belt. I don't get that kind of thinking in general, but then Mushin Ryu doesn't teach some things by intention until students reach a particular point in their learning either. As it happened, the technique Ken was describing was very similar to one taught in Mushin Ryu with a crossed arm lock.

Then, on to refining Ken's choking and strangling technique. I had to fine tune his forearm and wrist placement again. These are small details, but getting them just right make all the difference between the techniques taking effect in around 10 seconds or less, or struggling with an adversary longer than necessary. Once I got him dialed in on the strangles, he got me feeling dizzy and woozy for the rest of the session. In fact, I still am feeling the effects. So, progress.

Busy day today. Started out with a quick session of conditioning at the rec center. Rounds of speed bag, cable rotation, supine ball toss, elliptical, heavy bag, plate haloes, hip flexor and knee stretches, shoulder dislocates.

42 minutes @ 121 BPM @ 81% of MHR.

After the rec it was off to Carterville Bowl for logistical and other support for Special Olympics bowling.

Rounds of speed bag*, SciFit, crunch, supine ball toss, kettlebell swings, heavy bag, rower, hip flexor and knee stretches, shoulder dislocates.
    34 minutes @ 133 BPM @ 89% of MHR.

*Some young black guy popped in the boxing room and got me on video blasting the bag. He said he was amazed. Not bad for an old fart.

Hepburn routine with 7 singles @ 90% of 1RM, working up to 10 singles and a backoff set of 5 @ 75% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 200, 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 and 135 for 5.

Pin Press: Sets of 5, 175-175-175.

Hammer Row: 305, 1-1-1-1-1-1 and 250 for 5.

Music: Prussia's Glory, Gimme Shelter, Folsom Prison Blues, Rise, Star Wars Throne Room, My Generation, Keep Your Hands to Yourself, Taiko Drums, We Bad We Nationwide, Fired Up, Get Up Offa That Thing, Head Games, Better Be Good to Me, Let It Ride.

61 minutes average HR 128 BPM @ 86% of MHR.

Hepburn routine with 8 singles @ 90% of 1RM, working up to 10 singles and a backoff set of 5 @ 75% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 200, 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 and 165 for 5.

Hammer High Row: 260, 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 and 220 for 5.

Hammer Curls: Sets of 12, 165-165-165.

Knee and hip flexor stretches, cable dislocates.

Music: Fire on High, The Boys Are Back in Tow, Ghost Riders in the Sky, Pop and Circumstance, I Got a Line on You, Everybody Wants You, Another One Bites the Dust, I'll Be There, Hot Legs, Sympathy for the Devil, Conga, Taking Care of Business, Dirty White Boy, No Pain No Gain.

61 minutes average HR 128 BPM @ 86% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program
    The athletes of the Special Olympics gave it their all again tonight. The small kinks in lifting form are gradually getting ironed out. They pushed themselves hard to get a few more reps out on the final set of 3 but with the option of As Many Reps As Possible (AMRAP). Mostly they were successful.

I downloaded an audio file of Chewbacca growling away, figgering it was a good representation of the Big Muddy Monster that is the centerpiece of the Big Muddy Iron Crew, the team name. Not only did the lifters love the sound, the parents that got to hear it did too. It'll be the team cheer to fire up the lifters before they make their attempts at meets.