starting strength gym
Page 632 of 659 FirstFirst ... 132532582622630631632633634642 ... LastLast
Results 6,311 to 6,320 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know how you feel. I have mentioned in my posts before a book I have Gray Hair and Black Iron. It mentions prorgarns for when you get older and have trouble recovering. I guess it's true. Reminds me about a joke I read many years ago.
    An old man walking down the street sees little boy sitting down at the curb crying, he walks over and asks " what's wrong " the boy answered " I can't do what the big boys do". The old man sat down next to him and started crying too.

Mark
    I hope you feel better. You should be really proud of yourself for all the work you do with the kids. I can relate to your losing friends. I just lost of one of over 40 years. It's rough. Whether we like it or not we have to adjust at our age and can't do what we used to, or our bodies will take it on us. I rode my skateboard today for the first time in a few months. I finally slept enough. I used to go to the point of riding down hills where I was at my limit before I would fall. If I went any higher I'd crash. Every time was a different limit. Now, I stop a little lower than the limit. I don't go as fast. It's still fun. The risk isn't worth it. I wear a lot of pads that I never used to even a few years ago. If I break a limb, it will take too long to heal at the age of 74 in a few months. We are doing things not many people our age can do. We have to appreciate it, as hard as it is sometimes.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to negotiate my way through this period of my life. Bargaining with my body and the responsibilities I've taken on with coaching and teaching Jujitsu. For the next few days, or as long as it takes, I am concentrating on those two things. I feel an obligation to the athletes I train and the student I am teaching. Both take their own toll on my body, my energy, and my recovery.

It seems I might need to re-think who I really am now rather than what I thought I could continue to do for much longer than reality and my body can support. This could include competing. I dunno. Yet. But I will, and I'll have to get reconciled with it.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu tonight teaching more strangles, chokes, interspersed with a few other things to recover from the neck tweaks and dizzies. Ken's technique is getting better and my peripheral vision is getting grey faster than ever when he applies the chokes. Tonight he learned one of the cross hand strangles, and the two hands on one lapel choke. He had a little trouble getting the body positioning coordinated with the hand and arm movements for the latter. But once I got him tuned in to it, and it took a lot of fixing, it went on fast and I barely time to tap out before my knees gave out.

In between trials on these techniques I inserted some escape and counter-attacks to grabs and strikes with the yawara short stick. Except since there's no sensible reason for someone to carry a short stick, we used a 6" bright flashlight. Also some alternatives to pinning someone on the ground. If the pin won't go, throw on one or another very painful arm bars.

I emphasized through the pins, chokes, and strangles that while they are good effective techniques, they may not be the go-to if the attacker has friends ready to jump you while tied up with him. You have some possibility of maneuvering the attacker in front of incoming helpers with standing chokes, but not much. Especially if you get target fixation and zone out other potential threats and attackers.

I got my neck tweaked a little from all this, and, once again, the dizzies. The price of showing up to get things done for someone else.

Back into the breach! That week's rest seems to have done the trick. Also back to a 5-3-1 routine. Ramping up

Cycle 1, Week 1, Sets of 5-5-5. Deload.

Bench Press: 95@40%, 115@50%, 135@60%.

Hammer High Row: 115@40%, 145@50%, 175@ 60%.

Curl: 65 for 3 sets of 5.

Music: When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Run Like Hell, Death of Siegfried, Start Me Up, San Quentin Blues, Lunatic Fringe, Pinball Wizard, Heat Wave.

40 minutes average HR 127 BPM @ 85% of MHR.

Sure makes sense that we can't go full bore every workout. Cycling the load seems to be the way to go.

Fingers crossed Jerry.

As much as I love living here, the internet service can be erratic. So I've been in solitary for a day or so.

Monday night was dedicated to the Special Olympians who are closing in on the Qualifier for Summer Games in powerlifting. The lifting is coming along well, showing promise of good performance in a couple of weeks. The key now is to pay attention and wait for commands. The anticipation for and excitement over the meet is hard to overcome, for me included.

Tuesday conditioning was speed bag, SciFit, crunches, plate halos, supine medicine ball toss, heavy bag, rower with hamstring, knee and hip flexor stretching.

31 minutes average HR 147 BPM @ 97% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program
    Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu last night had Ken practicing existing strangles that he has already learned. Also getting better at as well as learning more variations of cross-hand and other chokes and strangles. His technique on the rear naked strangle had me tapping out in 4-5 seconds. Not bad work for a relative beginner.

Then there are three variations of cross-hand chokes, and Ken learned the other two last night. Like me, interestingly, he is best at a mixed grip application, one hand up and one hand down. I had to tap in 2-3 seconds and barely stayed conscious. This is really good work and surprising from having just been introduced to it.

In between these, and to give us a break to recover, we worked on some variant applications of the gooseneck control hold on the wrist. He had asked last week if it was only used offensively and I promised to give that some thought. So I worked out how to apply the hold from an attacker's cross wrist grab, a straight punch, and a grab to someone else.

We finished off with using a belt to block a punch and then looping it around the attacker's neck from behind. This included blocking a punch with a standard left deflection into a rear bar arm takedown into a rear naked choke.