starting strength gym
Page 143 of 659 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243643 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Something else to take note of Sully that I forgot to mention. My doc is fairly knowledgeable about sports medicine and sidelines at high school events just in case he might be needed. I don't think he is quite to the point you are on the gray iron kool aid served here, but he doesn't dispense much if any of the horrendous nonesense I see others post about their docs. But his comment on the DL was that none of the top athletes he knows in high school here in the South Bay are in the 900 Club for a total. Which is pretty surprising because there are some big boys (like Samoans and other Pacific Islanders and others of all backgrounds) in sports here. Redondo High actually had a strength coach when our daughter went there. Don't know about now.

It just kind of tags along with some of the comments in the Elderly section where we talk about if "would it have made a difference in high school." At least now there is some improvement on training even if not the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Had a routine evaluation of my blood and blood pressure this afternoon for the meds I take and WHOO HOO! BP 106 over 80. Really good for me. Also the doc, who has been our GP for years and knows the kind of nut case patient he has, asked me how lifting was going. So he wants a photo of the 405 (or so) DL to put in his waiting room as an ad for his senior growing population of senior patients. He said that not even his younger athlete patients DL at all, let alone that much. So I have to muster up Dearly Beloved and her camera for next Sunday's run at 415. I'll probably have to check in with the gym to see there are issues about photos in there too.
    That is absolutely awesome!

Get the picture, get it up. It would be awesome. But to make it right, oil up first and do it wearing only a G-string.
    Last edited by Oldster; 11-28-2012 at 12:45 PM.

I guarantee you, no one wants to see that photo. Especially not me.

Weight: 251.5

Jujitsu last night had the kids suffering from full moon fever. Goosey as all get out and it was hard to keep the cats herded. But the star pupil a 4th degree blue belt girl was given the task of teaching the newbies to fall and the basic white belt course. Master Bellman is convinced she'll stay the course and go all the way to black blet. Very dedicated and serious, but cheery along with it.

The adult class was lightly attended because it was rainy and God forbid people in SoCal get wet. I got assigned to one on one teaching with the new white belt a very intelligent and fast learning 14 year old girl. She picked up everything faster than anyone I have ever taught at any age. At least the rough carpentry basics we begin with. There's a lot of refinement to come, but she'll do fine. As is the case with many of the younger and especially the girls it took a LOT of coaching and persuasion to get her to really lash out in escapes and countering elbow strikes from the escapes. I had to keep telling her "Hit me harder! Knock me back a half step!" No mean feat since I weigh twice what she does, but eventually I got to hit me hard enough to actually feel like it would damage someone not expecting it.

I am frankly babying myself a little because I'm storing energy and avoiding injury for the next DL coming up on Sunday. It's odd too, because I'm feeling muscle contractions from the shoulder blades to the thoracic midback. They are like slow rolling flexes which I've never noticed or felt before. No pain involved, just a novel phenomenon.

Did a GXP in the gym this morning.

Weight: 252

5 minute warmup on the bike. Week 1 75% of 1RM

Bench Press: 205, 3 sets of 2. Right shoulder achy.

Power Snatch: 105, 3 sets of 2. I'm paying more attention to starting set up and form in this as a means of rehearsing the same setup for DL's.

Stretched. I wore the heart rate monitor to see of lower reps made a difference in aerobic effect. The total session was 30 minutes long and average heart rate was 133 for 84% of MHR. The 20 minutes I was lifting it was 141 for 89%.

Weight: 251

Master Bellman made a comment about all resistance being linear earlier this week and it struck some resonance with me. I've been turning it over since then and it struck me that it was a corollary to what Rip teaches with respect to lifting. All effective and efficient lifting occurs in straight lines, hence linear.

The example in jujitsu was countering a grab or other attack by off-balancing the attacker by moving his head. At some point the resistance will lock up from the hips to the neck and it gets hard to impossible to move them further. So the way to overcome that resistance is to use circular or elliptical movement. Then the attacker gets moved off balance and falls or is at least very vulnerable to counterattack because they can't marshal any effective strength or resistance of their own. This creates a moment arm, in effect. We use this principle all the time, except we call it anatomical misalignment, back up mass, the basic rule of resistance, and circular/linear. Just a few of the 30 principles that our style has. But those happen to have some commonalities with lifting and the expression of strength. The other distinction is that what we do is break down strength to overcome it. At some point I am going to do a side by side comparison of moment arm, linear lifting, and the other movement cognates shared between how mushin ryu is taught that share the inside/out concepts taught by Rip.

I tried having some discussion about this with Master Bellman this morning and just got nowhere. For some reason he thought I was talking about how to be strong in executing the techniques and evidently I was doing a poor job explaining where I was coming from. Because while what we do is overcome strength I thought it might be useful to explore the understanding of how strength is expressed and exerted. To no avail. It seems to be off the table thinking about how the strength occurs or how to capitalize on the strength we have when we counterattack. But I intend to pursue this line of thought. I'm debating whether to bring it up with Rip.

In any event I got to practice my own belt techniques today again. It afforded me an opportunity to polish them some more. The downside was my right knee is aching and for the life of me I can't think of what happened during the session to hurt it. I don't think it can keep me from the DL tomorrow because I have been experimenting with the set up and stance and feeling what it's like to straighten up. The question is under how much load.

Weight: 252.5

5 minutes warmup on the bike.

Deadlift: 135-3, 225-3, 315-1, 365-1, 415-1 PR!, 425-1 PR!. These are lifetime PR's no less. The 415 was easy again, and the 425 while a good deal less easy, was not the top just yet. But lest one tempt the Iron Gods with hubris, one retreats from the incremental triumphs at the palisades of ambition and awaits the next shot at glory. So it came to pass that Beowulf lived on after Grendel to slay the dragon in his latter years.

Rolling Dumbbells: Sets of 12, 25-35-35. Taking this easy so as to not aggravate the elbow again.

Hammer Curls: Sets of 12, 35-35-40. I decided to use dumbbells for these too.

Then stretched the hamstrings, back, and shoulders to a fare thee well. The back feels solid as can be as I type this.

I don't know that it is strength that helped me accomplish this as much as getting the form down. My right knee cycled up into a huge world of pain last night, so much so I took a vicodin to make sure I could sleep. After some more pondering it must have been from a single leg takedown we do in jujitsu where the forearm turns out the leg and then a shoulder is driven in and the leg gets pulled. Hence the knee being made unhappy. I guess.

Dearly Beloved came with camera in hand and did the video from which she will extract the photos for our docs to advertise the fruits of their labors by keeping me more or less shipshape. Now I am subjecting myself to the discipline of 8 week cycles as I head a few more leagues down the road less traveled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    415-1 PR!, 425-1 PR!. These are lifetime PR's no less. The 415 was easy again, and the 425 while a good deal less easy, was not the top just yet. But lest one tempt the Iron Gods with hubris, one retreats from the incremental triumphs at the palisades of ambition and awaits the next shot at glory. So it came to pass that Beowulf lived on after Grendel to slay the dragon in his latter years.
    Very awesome, several PRs on your deadlift in a month or so!
    Also, I think it makes sense to look at jujitsu through the strength lens. We want the mechanical advantage, and we want to prevent the other guy from having it. If concepts like moment arm can help make kuzushi more clear, that is gold.

Weight: 251.5

Did a GXP this morning.

Thanks Gwynn. I've encountered this blind spot more than once over the years but now it just seems so intuitive I don't understand why the resistance to thinking in that way. What's terribly ironic is that principles taught in mushin ryu like body alignment and back up mass capitalize on minimizing our own moment arms. Hence making us relatively stronger and better able to use our own strength. But, like I said, it doesn't play well in Peoria at the dojo. You should see the other black belts eye's roll up in their heads when I talk about how a 90 degree angle on a joint makes it a stronger joint in either exertion of force or resistance to force. Which is also ironic since we use 45 and 90 degree angles to deflect and block strikes. I just don't get it. So I'll keep my thoughts to myself on the mat.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks to the technical efforts of Dearly Beloved, who is almost more amped about this than me, these are the results of my efforts.

The first one makes it look all too easy at 415. http://youtu.be/UEx_SSgRfR4

The second one is a little longer and you get to see some of my idiosyncrasies like shaking out my hands. Something I do at odd moments to release tension. http://youtu.be/-ICzZtIS4_Q
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 12-03-2012 at 05:44 PM.