starting strength gym
Page 153 of 659 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253653 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    OK, here it is. Hot off the presses.

There is a raw meet in Santa Barbara on April 27. So for me, this is just like one more construction project schedule, except this time I don't have to rely on the Facilities or the guys in the construction trades to keep things on track. Just me. Once you know the need date, you start planning backward to determine what you have to do to get there in good order.

Thanks of Meshuggah, I now have the last 4 weeks on fly by wire. I have a total of 16 and a half weeks to get ready and 12 weeks to cycle up to the best I can do for the big day.

My prep for this will also be observing the American Cup at the LA Convention Center on January 19-20. I'm a firm believer in doing a recon run whenever possible. I want to hear, see, and hopefully get to know the environment before I immerse myself into it. That way I can better concentrate on what I am there to do rather than react to the externalities. Or at least minimize them.

I haven't competed for 30-40 years. Judo in college and shooting matches after I got out into the real world. It gives me the goosies, but I am by-God going to see this through.

Hot damn, Mark. Outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Thanks for that. I have Wendler's book in hard copy and didn't recognize that bit of information. I just pulled it off my bookshelf at home and sure enough, not there. Interesting that his ebook had that but not the print version.
    That is from the 5/3/1 For Powerliting version, I also have the regular 5/3/1 hard copy in my strength library.
    On your singles days Wendler recommends 1X1 @ 85% and 1X1 @ 92% of your meet goals.
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 01-02-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks bob.

And thank you Meshuggah (again) for 'splainin' the provenance of that information and giving me even more detail. That was gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    It gives me the goosies, but I am by-God going to see this through.
    Thats why you are the man, Mark. Awesome!

Weight: 252

I did a GXP this morning.

I have now gotten the 5/3/1 template and tapering plan in my excel spreadsheet I use as the hard copy for the gym. Next step, sign up for the LA Fitness Expo where the American Cup will be held. Then the entry form for the Santa Barbara Open and join the USPL as required.

Default Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

Very cool, Mark. Looking forward to hearing all about it. I suspect you will do really well. :-)

Thanks Gwynn. I'll probably get boring describing some of the preparations for this. But just one more thing to juggle. I can't wait.

Mark, glad to hear you're going to compete...now you've gone and got me thinking about trying to complete my comeback at a meet up here in the "frozen north!" There's a meet near Rochester, NY in April that I'd really like to make, if I can just keep these aches and pains in check and keep progressin'. That's where I had my "big" meet in 2010, before my infamous fall. I'll be following your progress closely, while trying to keep my own going, also. Do you have any goals in mind for your meets yet? I believe I can improve on the 215 BP I did in 2010, but as far as the SQ and DL, I really can't say at this point.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks fiftyfit. My goals for the meet are DL: 445, SQ: 335, BP: 270. My two biggest concerns are being sure I'm deep enough in the squat and the pause on the chest for the bench press. I've done 275 in gym on the bench but not with a pause. So I'll be practicing getting used to that.