starting strength gym
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: mastering the force

Default mastering the force

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    my other log lost a bunch of shit so I'm using it as an excuse to start a new one.

19yo
    191 lbs (on a deficit currently)
    5'10
    mon: bench, squat, chinups
    wed: press, deadlift, chinups
    fri: bench, squat, chinups, fuck around
    Lost ~7lbs this week, mostly water for sure and it should slow down, I'm eating quite a bit I just cut the milk out of my shakes.

Last weeks workouts:
    1/23: BW: 198lbs - Bench 180 x 5/5/7 ; squat 270 x 5/5
    1/25: BW: 193lbs - Press 120 x 4/4/4 ; deadlift 320 x 5 ; chins +5 x 5/4/3
    1/27: BW: 191lbs - Bench 190 x 5/5/3 ; squat 270 x 5/3/3 ; chins +30 x 1 max
    I decided to switch to 3x3 and continue linear progression while on my sight deficit and see where it takes me. I do hill sprints from time to time so my heart/lungs stay healthy. Should be a good 2012, cheers~
    Last edited by skipbeat; 02-26-2012 at 05:51 PM.

1/30 Monday
    BW 193 ( Cheated just a tad .. )

Bench 195 x 3,3,3
    not hard .. hit the pins on 2nd rep of 2nd set, was rather annoying
    add 5

Squat 275 x 3,3,3
    rather easy .. it's kind of sad that my squat is this close to my bench atm, I feel like "one of them"
    add 5

Chins*
    +32.5 x 1 - 2.5lb PR (plus extra 2lb BW)
    +37.5 (got chin over, but not to chest; doesn't count)
    +20 x 2
    +10 x 3

*I'll only be recording the sets that are.. well, worth recording

Going on a date, wish me luckz.

recovery day.. 1/31
    BW: 190
    waist: 33.5" (down from 34" on saturday)

sleep: kind of shitty
    diet: ate less than planned, less than adequate protein .. tmrw will be a bitch

kind of excited that I haven't outright stalled, which is usually the case when I diet. Will probably need to start microloading the bench soon. Not aiming for a specific bodyweight, going by mirror, and not going for absors. Just want my chest to stick out farther than my stomach

02/1 Wednesday
    BW: 191

Press 125 x 3,3,5
    oly-style. these were easy today, my form is much stronger since I widened my grip to produce vertical forearms.
    add 5

Deadlift 335 x 3, 1, 1
    the last two were technically singles because I rested 30-45 seconds between them. did the first 3 in a row. Going for 3+ on these from now on (only stall if I can't pull 3)
    add 15

Chinups
    +37.5 .. 5lb PR
    +20 x 3 .. rep PR
    +10 x 5 .. rep PR

bench 210 x 1. was going to go for 230, arms were pretty fried though.

had to take a dump since the chinups. I believe that warrants an award of some kind.

recovery day ..02/2
    BW: 190

not sure why I'm recording the recovery days, but just felt like sharing some info. Those deadlifts kicked my ass, I was hungry all day today! Looking forward to waking up tomorrow, I should be 18x for the first time in many months. Seems to be going well so far, body composition has drastically changed in 2-3 short weeks, and I haven't been hungry the whole time!

Didn't I tell ya?! And you were all freaking out about the chubbiness. Goddamn. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by jmoye View Post
    Didn't I tell ya?! And you were all freaking out about the chubbiness. Goddamn. Lol
    well fuck, first time I've actually had a good diet, and it's going way better than i could've imagined! My sex lines are visible now, and I have you to thank for the sunday cook-a-thon idea. take that as you will.. haha

..no homo
    Last edited by skipbeat; 02-03-2012 at 01:11 PM.

2/03 Fuckthis friday
    bw 192 / waist < 33 in. (hmm? i didn't have any junk food.. must be muscle since my waist went down)

i got to the gym today in a daze. 5 hours of sleep, couldn't think straight, couldn't get mad at the bar, i was just disconnected from my body today. my shirt was slipping off the bench, my coffee tasted like soap, and I was wearing that pair of underwear that's always at the bottom of the pile and you only wear in emergencies.

Bench 200 x 3,3,2 (FAILURE)
    like I said, I was really just not feeling it today. I should have gotten the last rep, but I couldn't get angry or any emotion at all, and I got pinned. I probably didn't rest as long as I needed to as well.

Just said fuck it and left the gym right there. I knew it wouldn't be a productive day today.. gonna stay in and catch up on sleep. Re-do this workout Monday. Maybe i'll do a little cardio tomorrow so I don't feel like a lazy punani. Also, when I do outright stall on triples, I'll probably switch to doubles, and once I stall on those I'll switch to ramping sets / backoff sets like I do on the chinups, since they seem to be going up without a hitch. Just for the remainder of the diet, anyways.

2/06 Monday
    bw: 191

bench 200 x 3,3,4
    no problem here.. last rep my left arm lagged behind but I got it.. i've been having great luck with the spotters keeping their hands off
    add 5

squat 280 x 3,3,3
    pretty hard but no problem.. i'm starting to think my dress shoe heel is a little too much. gonna pick up some real shoes soon..
    +5

chins
    +40 ; 2.5lb PR
    +30 x 2 ; rep PR
    +20 x 3

press
    140 x 1
    form work - a few singles at 130

made up for friday. i saw a gothapotamus at the gym today, she was looking at me like she wanted to pierce me full of silver and then eat me

starting strength coach development program
    2/08 wednesday
    bw: 195

press 130 x 3,3,3
    if I was on strict LP, I'd start microloading now. but I'm a bawss, so I'm going to 135 and switching to doubles if necessary.
    add 5

deadlift 350 x 2,1
    rested ~30 seconds to chalk up after second rep. in retrospect, I should've done another rep .. but I didn't want to kill recovery.
    add 15

chins
    +45 .. got chin over, not to chest. fail
    +25 x 3 .. PR
    +15 x 4.8 .. not so bad since I gained weight somehow

seems like I suck at being in a caloric deficit. I think my diet is pretty good though, it's pretty much paleo. It's probably just delayed weight gain from the weekend, or possibly because I weighed in before I took a mighty shit. Anyways, it's about to get more interesting, the weights are near old PRs (except squat).. albeit for triples instead of fives. I'm 15lbs lighter, though. Some feedback on what I'm currently doing would be much appreciated! I'm thinking of adding in some light intensity cardio in the future, I'm unwilling to change my awesome diet which is pretty damn clean, so I'll have to burn some extra calories somehow. Might save that for the summer, though - body composition is still improving.

edit - oh, forgot to add. I tried power cleaning 190 and looked like a total tool today haha. i'm a dumbass, that would be like a 10lb PR for me and I haven't been doing them except as DL warmups. doh.
    Last edited by skipbeat; 02-08-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast