starting strength gym
Page 2 of 384 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Puttering along

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks Stagger Lee, but I think it will most likely be impressively boring. My workouts are short and I don't do much different other than a set/rep changeup. Occasionally a bench and rolling dumbells instead of a close grip, a TBDL instead of a Front Squat. Other than that, I don't do much.

Lifted @ 6 a.m.

Front squat--up to 335x3. Hammer curls--after warmups 60'sx3 sets of 12.

You're a strong old bastard. Good lifts, and much respect for not giving up after injuring your back. Most people would use that as an excuse to be lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
    This is a seriously impressive log.
    I second this! You are one strong SOB.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I just keep a 'puttering' along!

My lifting partners are the STRONG ones. One (about 6'3" and 330lbs) deadlifts just about everything he has in front of him. Not good for much else, but he is a deadlifting machine. The other (a few inches shorter than me and 30lbs heavier) is a very good bencher and military presser. We both bench and close grip in the low 400's raw, but he can take 25lbs more than my 1 rep max in the military and bang out 5 reps like it was nothing.

Oldster
    Last edited by Oldster; 09-14-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Hurt my neck a bit yesterday. I think a vertebrae slipped a bit and have visited a chiropractor but it is still hurting.....a LOT. Did just a little bit of work this morning.

Close grip bench--325x3 sets of 5--335x1 paused, lots of pain. Stopped.

I probably won't be doing a whole lot until this issue is resolved.

Struggling with this 'pain in the neck', so to speak. It didn't get better so I went to a different Chiropractor yesterday. The difference is night and day. I still hurt this morning but can feel things healing. A little pain while lifting so I did nearly the same workout as last week.

Dips--up to 101#x5. Military--up to 190x5. EZ bar curls--up to 150x5

Oldster
    Last edited by Oldster; 09-17-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Good lifting again despite the discomfort. Have you tried ice for your neck, or for that matter whenever you get the hurts? I've used a regime of 10 minutes of coldpack, 10 minutes off followed by 10 minutes of heat with one or more additional cycles of the hots and colds with 10 minute gaps. It's helped me wherever I used it, whether it was my lumbars, my neck, my deltoid, or the occasional elbow. Oh, and Celebrex has postively been a gift from the gods. It has always worked faster than anything else for me in clearing up the joint aches when they get to be too much to soldier on with.

Ice has been my friend. I don't even hardly feel the ice pack when I put it on my upper back/neck area anymore........ I wouldn't be lifting if I didn't keep an ice pack handy!

I think I am going to live now. Nearly a week with very VERY little sleep, little sound sleep that is. Right now I'd say my pain level is back down from a 9 or 10 to a more managable 2 or 3. I'm sure in another few days I'll be 100%.

Thanks!

Dumbell bench--up to 112's for 3 sets of 15 reps.

My neck injury was complaining a bit so I didn't do a 4th set, nor any militaries or chins. I think I will lay off front squatting tomorrow and see if it gets any better before my next Chiropractor appointment. This is becoming a bit of a bother.

starting strength coach development program
    Close grip bench press--up to 330x4 sets of 5--345x1, 365x1-paused.

A few chins and DB curls--up to 60'sx3 sets of 12

Neck still hurting a bit. Gettin' old is HELL.

Page 2 of 384 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast