• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    11/15

SQ 310x3x5
    185x2x10

PR 145x3x5 PR
    95x2x10

Didn't pull today,was going to. DL but short on time ..got to go work on someone who complains about my calluses....deads tomorrow

Well hell man, celebrate those PR's! Use a bold and colored font. Good work!

Haha- Hey Mark- I would, believe me- except that Im putting the log up while Im in the sauna- and between waiting for my droid to blow up from the heat and violating the no cell phone in the locker room policy- its all I can do to enter it. Tonight was hard, and not sure I could have pulled even if I had had the time. So my pleasure at PRS is offest by the knowledge that Im close to my limits- and thats fucking depressing and de motivating- some kind of psychological barrier for worksets around 315 and presses above 150 to me.
    Thinking this will be the last week of linear progress and Ill go back to Texas Method- only this time a little stronger- frankly, I cant wait to have a light day on Weds! Hopefully this next run will make me stronger. Thanks for the encouragement.

You're welcome. Get some recovery time and don't sell yourself short. You just might be surprised how much a little rest can make the next PR happen. You're still young yet, but I firmly believe if I had given more attention to recovery earlier . . . I have confidence in you.

Something I found a little later from my last post. tertius found this from Dan John:

http://danjohn.net/2009/12/rest-the-definitive-answer/

Thumbs up

Dan John is cool as hell... I realize that analogy has some holes in it. That was a great essay too.

Thanks for the words Mark- still going in and deadlifting today, just cause... but great advice.

Yeah, going back into a linear progression- but then doing back off sets with little rest might not be the best protocol. I really enjoy back off sets though- great to focus on the movement without the fear of heavy weight messing with me.
    Im at that juncture I was before I took a little time off- right around 3 wheels for worksets, and nervous and squatting high because of it- so Ill deload and start TX method next week I guess.

With respect to DL- I wonder at what what 200lb people (like me) start using chalk and straps.. my best ever was 335 for 3 (no chalk/straps) and while I didnt notice grip issues- seems like it should be way stronger.

fucked around in ends and pieces too long- no time to eat and almost late for work- was hungry as hell but made it out- deadlifted first, treated squat as light day- will go for intensity on that Fri and do some assistance. Will be day after a late gig, hungover and no sleep - but somehow intensity days are especially rewarding when you power thru a hangover. (liquor is free at this club and I avail myself- its my only drunk of the month- not heavy drinker otherwise)

11/17

DL- 315x1 x5 320 x1x4- ouch- it came up easily- but, fail on last rep- I want this lift at 350 by new years.
    back off - 190 1x9 1x8
    BP- 185 3x5
    SQ - 275 2x5 - had no idea what to load up with as I rarely do squats last- this worked well enough- Fri will be for triples and monday Ill de load and start 5x5.
    Also dont know if the back off sets are particularly useful for the deads- I suppose they are since Im such a weak puller- but very unsure of where to put Deads in the week- Mon or Fri- and also where/how to program halting deads- or any assistance work for failing at the bottom. Still not using chalk. but it seems like strength and not grip issues. I work my grip all day at work- so assume that its strong enough rather than overtrained- who knows?

on a brighter note, bbq chicken in the dark- perfect golden brown - thats hard to do. My boys are up from bed beggin for meat.. ha ha- go yaw.
    Last edited by JM3; 11-17-2010 at 09:24 PM.

11/19.

Sq - 315x3,320x3, 325x3
    190x2x10

Pr 140x3 ,145x3 150x2
    90x2x10

Chins- 7,6,5,

Only had an hour and 15 mins on my lunch break- did two sessions before including a lifter so grip was fried for chins- wanted to do cleans- but afternoon sessions were all females including some I didnt know- they dont like the calluses so I skipped cleans.
    Given time constraint, I decided to limit my rests to 2 minutes on all lifts (gym is 5 mins away from my office and I try very hard to never make anyone wait on me- hate to be late for anything) so I had to hustle. Given that I had wanted to do an intensity day had to sacrifice pounds (30 on squat and maybe 5-10 on press) for getting it in. Also,massages are done in a squat position- so two hours of that will wear on my low back and quads- depending on how fat the client is can be a quarter or half squat with a cantalever position - I also have an extra wide table- which is good for fat people- but terrible for small people as Im compromised position to get to them.
    It was a weird workout- but I feel fantastic- nice combo of heavier weights and a conditioning effect (1 minute rest between backoff sets) Another workout on an empty stomach- except for the 4 cups of coffee I guzzled before 10am. Im about to throw some boss chicken and beef on that grill- Dales Pale ale and for fucks sake- here come the little shits... kid wall ball shots for time...

Next session- 5x5s and cleans

I had problems with calluses until I got a tweezerman callus shaver. It's like an old school Gillette razor with little blades. It works real well in taking then off without leaving some snags behind. Kind of like using a wood plane. So you do body work too, huh? I got my cert years ago to help with my wife's back problems and actually did some work on the side out of a chiro's office for while. You're so right, massages are a killer on the low back of the person doing the work. It might help with your situation and allow you some more training flexibility. You know in spite of out initial differences, I'm glad we can find some common ground on a lot of things. I'm discovering there are some real strange, real unpleasant folk here. Testosterone poisoning is real, it is alive, and I'm sorry to say it is well on display here. Good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    I use callus away- you soak and buff them down- cant cut when Im working on peoples skin. I dont get physically sore any more- I get sore from having to be nice all day, ha ha... Testosterone is great- Im drinking an OX NUTS cocktail right now- can feel the hair falling out of my head..

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast