starting strength gym
Page 1 of 140 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Log

Default Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I dedicate this thread to my mother because i'm a not so money-blessed college student that couldn't buy his own bulk of food. Thank you mom for understanding my barbell training needs and cooking extra servings just for me.

Height: 5'6-7
    weight: 170
    BF: don't know, don't care, but probably 15%
    GF: we're together for 4 years now

lifting background:

I wanted to dunk so i decided to hit the gym using Kelly Baggett's program. Hard to say if it did work because for 2 months i was squatting 150 with no idea of progression. and no i did not increase my squat to 150, what i meant was that for the entire 2 months on that program i just put 150 on the bar and squatted it.
    Then i found SL, then God talked to me in my sleep, and I jumped immediately to DTP sans GOMAD coz i'm asian.

my best lifts on my first stint w/ SS were:
    Low bar SQ: 280x5x3 >>stalled due to lack of calories
    BP: 145x5x3 >> stopped due to RC tear
    Press: 115x5x3>> stalled also
    PC: 160x3x5 >> but were definitely "muscled" so i'm not proud of it
    deadlift conventional 325x3

then fucked w/ TM a bit and hit 300x5 on squat

then 5/3/1 :

where i didn't really know if i gained anything from it, probably muscle from BBB but definitely not strength

Low bar regressed
    press 140x1
    deadlift (switched to sumo) hit an ugly 285x11 here watch NSFB(not safe for back):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ6hyVs_SJc
    ^ the funny thing is i didn't tweak my back til after I did dome seated GM's with 50lbs after that

then now I decided to try SS again and here are my current stats:

SQUATS (switched to high bar): 275x5x3 , 5lbs off my previous low bar PR that were doubtedly high to begin with
    press: 105x5x3
    deadlift: 145x5 << reset to 115 to get back into things slowly
    chins: 20x3x3
    Last edited by simonsky; 12-01-2010 at 03:39 AM.

Diet:

My diet sucks. It consists of what my mom cooks which in our country is usually rice + another dead animal having dish to complement the rice. then, i just add some eggs and tuna to give more protein. so my protein consumption at the best days are probably even just below my BW in grams which is obviously YNDTP.

My life sucks, i can only hit the gym from friday to sunday. so SS twice a week. fuck. life. sucks.

what's worse is my gym also sucks. it has :
    1. only one squat rack
    2. 2 bars that fit the squat rack, one w/ a tampon, and the other bent. these bars are only about ~20lbs so they wobble even at 1 plate each side. fuck
    3. ultra low benches with ultra high non adjustable uprights that are narrow to begin with. my grip has to be either for close grip or wide grip, no in between..fuck

after i graduate from business school, i'm really leaning towards operating my own gym.

Default Against all odds

after travellling and feeling a bit hesitant of going for it due to the long travel...i hit a PR

tennis ball , baseball bat mashing
    MWOD hip capsule stretch 2 min each<< highly recomended
    hip flexor stretch 2 min each<< also a must for sitting ducks such as me

dynamic warm up

Squat 280x5,4,5 PR weeeeee
    press 107.5x5x3
    chins 10PR
    DB rows ea 100x6 PR
    power cleans 115x3x5

golf ball, baseball bat mashing
    hip capsule stretch
    hip flexor stretch
    some dynamic warm up for lower body

chins 20x3x3
    squat 285x4,5,5 PR
    press 110x5x3
    some more chins about 15

**if some stupid stranger clicked on my log, please help me with warm ups. the first set is tough and the second one is probably the easiest. i know its individual but feel free to send some ideas..
    here's what i did today:

barx5x3
    120x5
    160x4
    200x3
    240x2
    work sets.

Light day

chins 10xBW
    squat 225x5x2
    press 112.5x5x3
    PC 120x3x3

set 1, wanted to go balls deep

set 2, cut depth and i wanted to see if i'm still below parallel

power cleans, please critique if you can bear poor quality and angle

sorry for the quality, i just shot it using my phone, couldn't bring camera to the gym due to it being too crowded and i'm uneasy with the people. some douche might steal my phone while doing some squats and that gives him about a few seconds advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    squat 285x4,5,5 PR

**if some stupid stranger clicked on my log, please help me with warm ups. the first set is tough and the second one is probably the easiest. i know its individual but feel free to send some ideas..
    here's what i did today:

barx5x3
    120x5
    160x4
    200x3
    240x2
    work sets.
    You're putting 45lbs on the bar before your work set. Your body says "wtf is this!?". Personally, I like to hit a single about 15lbs under my work weight before I grab a drink and refresh before my work sets. Do you refresh before your work sets?

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    You're putting 45lbs on the bar before your work set. Your body says "wtf is this!?". Personally, I like to hit a single about 15lbs under my work weight before I grab a drink and refresh before my work sets. Do you refresh before your work sets?
    well, you're not stupid. i can assure that.

i have 500 posts and this is the only time it hit me that i may not be warming up properly. 15lbs seems "too close" but it's a personal thing. i might go for 16-17lbs.

starting strength coach development program
    Haha... don't confused post count with knowledge! I just realized that I broke 3000 posts this morning. More to do with a boring job and internet addiction than knowledge about lifting!

Page 1 of 140 1231151101 ... LastLast