starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary fuckery and experimentation

Default Temporary fuckery and experimentation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am no longer doing the program. This is for two reasons.

1) My knee cant take the squatting at the moment. Every time I squat, I need to hobble around for two days. Although this is probably a form problem, I dont have access to a coach at the moment, and I really dont want to permenantly fuck up my knees.

2) I can now no longer assume that I'll be able to make it to the gym three times a week, and its a large possibility that I will miss a few weekly chunks, so I'd rather leave SS till the summer when I can focus on it, and get a coach to help me with my knee.

You can shout at me, abuse me, do whatever you want really. I'm going to take the next few months to experiment with my body, and see what works with it. By the summer, my main goals are to bench two and a half plates, and deadlift 4 plates. I would also like to be able to press one and a half plates. I would also like to lose some fat, so that when I spend my summer on the beach instead of doing SS, I at least look semi good. Im currently 5'10, 195 lbs.

I may reach this, I may not, but I would like to experiment a bit, push my body, and see what I can do.

This means, I will probably try out several programs over the next few months. I would also like some arm growth. Its all very well to be squatting 4 plates and have 15 inch arms, but I cant squat at the moment, so Im not happy with my 15 inch arms. Also, I want more pussy, so most of the arm work is for that.

The first program Im going to be using is the bear, from Pavel's PTTP. A quick outline, I will be deadlifting 3 times a week, benching twice and pressing once. Due to the high volume of deadlifting, I dont know how long I'll be able to continue it for, but we'll see how it goes. Its basically, begin with your 5rm, lift it for 5 reps. Lower the weight 10%, lift it for 5 reps. Lower the weight another 10%, and perform as many sets of 5 reps as you can. The first time you miss the 5th rep, you call it a day. Add 5 lbs to each set each workout for as long as I can, figure out what the fuck to do when this stops working.

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated
    Last edited by aron; 01-13-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Todays Workout:

Curls: 30 kg 8,8 Reverse Curls: 25 kg 6,6

Dips: BW 5,5,5

Bench: 70 kg 5
    62.5 kg 5
    55 kg : 10 x 5, 1 x 4

Deadlift: 110 kg 5
    100 kg 5
    90 kg 7 x 5

A lot of stretching after: lower back was fried

Good luck with your program, I commend your lofty goals. You'll need to eat even more than SS to do that Pavel routine.

Also, the size of your arms has nothing to do with getting pussy. You get pussy by having confidence and/or money.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrong View Post
    Good luck with your program, I commend your lofty goals. You'll need to eat even more than SS to do that Pavel routine.

Also, the size of your arms has nothing to do with getting pussy. You get pussy by having confidence and/or money.
    Cheers. I realised that tonight. Ive had two shakes and three chicken sandwhiches since I got back from the gym two hours ago. And all jewish guys are overly confident and rich as fuck. Therefore, I need an advantage.

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

The size of your arms may influence the getting of the pussy, but only if said pussy is very freaky indeed. Be careful out there, it's a crazy bar scene nowadays.

Just weighed myself, 200.02 lbs bitches!! waist has increased maybe an inch with the last 20 lbs ive put on. Oh, and I just closed my CoC #1 for the first time with my right hand. Only about half way there with the left. Been trying for about a week now.

aron,

The Russian Bear program is not quite what you've described based on my reading of Power to the People.

Pavel is big into frequent training of an exercise. If you are training two different pressing movements that is not the bear. The recommended pressing movement in Power to the People is the one arm side press. He also has other press exercises as options but the idea is to pick one exercises and do it each training session.

Pavel is also big on not missing any reps. He says never to attempt a rep if there is a chance it will fail. So you don't do the 80% back-off sets until you miss a rep. You do them until you can no longer do sets with good form. Anywhere between 5-25 sets is the range mentioned in the book, I believe.

And there are no other exercises in the program: no curls, no dips. At the very least, the dips will detract from your bear press movement training.

Teh bear is brutal. Don't fuck with it. Don't miss your sleep!!!!!! Eat like... like a bear. It is FUCKING brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    aron,

The Russian Bear program is not quite what you've described based on my reading of Power to the People.

Pavel is big into frequent training of an exercise. If you are training two different pressing movements that is not the bear. The recommended pressing movement in Power to the People is the one arm side press. He also has other press exercises as options but the idea is to pick one exercises and do it each training session.

Pavel is also big on not missing any reps. He says never to attempt a rep if there is a chance it will fail. So you don't do the 80% back-off sets until you miss a rep. You do them until you can no longer do sets with good form. Anywhere between 5-25 sets is the range mentioned in the book, I believe.

And there are no other exercises in the program: no curls, no dips. At the very least, the dips will detract from your bear press movement training.
    I just replied to a post of yours on another thread about this before I saw this. I've fucked with the bear program a little bit, but kept the main premise the same. I deadlift every workout, and do a press every workout. I'm too novice to even attempt something like the side press, but Pavel speaks about the bench or military press being used as well. I realise Im sacrificing something by using two pressing movements, but I dont want my overhead to suffer.

I get that about the reps, thats why when I didnt think I would hit the last rep of my last bench set, I racked the bar and called it a day instead of trying to, and I make sure my form is consistent.

The curls and dips are my own addition, and Im keeping them low so as not to fuck with the other stuff. If the dips begin to affect my pressing, Ill take them out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    aron,

Just reread this, are you saying that you should do your 5rm until you can no longer do 5 reps, and then use 80%? Im going to reread the section in PTTP to confirm this now.

EDIT: Taken from PTTP:

The basic PTTP program which develops strength without bulk calls for one heavy set of 5 reps and one set with 90% of that weight. A little comrade who wants to become big brother should not stop there. Reduce the weight to 80% of the first money set, and then keep doing short sets of 5 reps, with short 30-90 second rest periods. When you have had enough, that is you cannot lift 80x5 with good form, call it a day. It might take 5 or 25 sets, everyone is different. Just do not call it quits too soon.
    Last edited by aron; 01-14-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast