starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SS Novice 6 Months In - Rugby Season Starting in 3 Weeks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dutch - you are right that below parallel on squats is a bitch, but very much needed.

I felt overly tired today as I drove in to the gym this morning. I had a rough weekend that was marked with a 6 hour stay in the ER on Saturday morning when my wife's gall bladder attacked her. I think I need another good night's sleep to recover from that failed night's sleep.

I prepped up 4 days of meals yesterday (Sunday) which includes 1.5kg of pork shoulder meatloaf with onions, tomatoes, and spinach. A 26 egg, cheese, and spinach omelet, and 4 x 6 eggs over easy (for pre-workout meal). I decided not to take pictures this week as my wife kept giving me funny looks last weekend.

Back Squat
    bar x5
    50 x5
    70 x 5
    90 x2
    130 x5 x3 Squats felt ok (taking into account how tired I felt) I will put on 132.2 on Friday

Chin-ups

Press
    bar x5
    30 x5
    40 x5
    67.2 x5
    67.2 x3
    67.2 x4

I have been stuck at 67.2 for 3 weeks now and haven't put up 5 full reps for each set as of yet. I am thinking I might need to drop down a bit and then re-attack the weight. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Sprint training today...if you can call my fat ass running as fast as possible "sprints". 8 x100 with 50m walking rest. The pitch is still frozen - combined with random holes and dips it made for an interesting training session. I think I will be on the track from now on as I don't want to do my ankle in while running on the grass.
    Also hit 22 x5 GHD situps.

Felt good today, at least at first. We decided to switch up our routine a bit as we used to get after front squat, bench, and dead lift on Wed mornings - today we did bench first.

Bench
    bar x10x2
    40 x7
    60 x5
    92.2 x5
    92.2 x5
    92.2 x5 - spot on 5
    bar path came forward a bit on 4 and I think the readjustment took some power out of rep 5 - still happy with the progress

Front Squat
    bar x5
    40 x5
    60 x5
    80x5x3
    I dropped the weight by 5kg today to focus on form - I am still struggling with this lift and staying tight all the way through for 3 sets of 5. It is a bit frustrating.

Deadlift
    70 x5
    100 x5
    180 x2 - failed on 3??!!
    170 x5

Not sure what is happening here at 180 as I hit 4 reps last week, reset a hit my 5th - today I struggled with my 1st rep and 2 almost didn't make it up. I'm thinking I will hit 172.2 next week, the week after is an off week as we are on Spring Break - then I will go after 175 the week after and up by 2.2kg the week after until I can solidly hit 180 again. Frustrating.

Felt good this morning as I got a good amount of sleep last night and have been eating my face off. Weight today was 106.6 (with chucks on, which is what I weigh in with each morning)

Back Squats - still not getting as low as I would like - thinking it is a bit more mental than anything else. Will back down to 130 next Monday and hit it solid.
    Bar x10
    50 x7
    70 x5
    90 x2
    132.2 x 5 x3
    120 x1
    for depth analysis

Split Jerk
    bar x 5
    30 x5
    40 x5
    72.2 x 5 x 3
    Felt really strong on these this week (second time doing them).

Power Cleans
    bar x5
    40 x5
    60 x 5
    70 x5 x3 I hit a couple of these spot on and they felt good, but I also pulled a couple too low and they felt like shit. Need to get the muscle memory sorted so I can start to pull the weight that I am capable of.

Had a great weekend full of sleep, food, and beer. Was looking forward to getting into the gym this morning.

Back Squat
    bar x10
    50 x 7
    70 x5
    100 x 2
    130 x5 x 3
    120 x 3

Depth was really good today as I backed off last Friday's weight to focus on hitting it deep and clean. Added in the final 3 reps at 120 to keep the volume up.

Pullups
    8 (last 3 were a bit cheeky)

Press
    bar x5
    30 x5
    40 x5
    67.2 x5 - strong
    67.2 x 4
    67.2 x 3

I have officially stalled on my press weight.

I have off next week and I am looking forward to the break. I need to decide if I am going to drop my press weight down for the week when I come back, or if I am going to stay at 67.2 and hope that the week off helps get me over that hump.

Had my first training session for rugby last night. Did a bit of contact (tackling drills) and fitness. Got home and to bed a bit late by my standards, but it wasn't too bad. Woke up this morning to a sore lower back and a couple of knocks and bruises.
    Made a relatively big jump in my bench today, but I didn't pull it off as strong as I would have liked.
    Bench
    Bar x10x2
    40 x7
    60 x5
    95 x5 - spot on 5
    95 x 5 - spot on 4 and 5
    95 x5 - spot on 3, 4 and 5

Front Squat
    bar x5
    40 x5
    60 x5
    82.2 x 5 x3 - good depth and form

Deadlift
    70x5
    100 x5
    170 x5 - 170 felt heavy today.
    150 x 5 - focused on form.

1 more session to go on Friday before I have a week off.

starting strength coach development program
    Today was a tough day - actually, last night was a late night, which made today a rough day.
    I had practice again last night - a bit of contact and a bit of running. Got home at 10 and gave the wife a break by sending her off to bed while I waited up to feed the little man his sleeping bottle at 10:45. Last night I got a bit less than 6 hours of sleep and I was feeling the effects today. I also have a week off for Spring Break, so mentally I was ready for the end.

Back Squat
    130 x5 x3 really good depth on these, save for the 4 and 5 on the 3rd ws where I was just hitting parallel.

Push Press
    82.2 x4
    82.2 x3
    80 x3
    my form was suffering today as was my energy - I was hoping to hit 82.2 all the way through, but I was too knackered for that.

A week off should do me good.
    I'll also start taking some creatine the first week back from break and I am interested to see how my progression goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12