starting strength gym
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: zen and the art of strength training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tuesday May 10

Kettlebell Press 5 x (1,2,3,4,5) x 53

This was a late night workout. Most of my pressing had been horizontal the last few months, so decided to take an evening and do a bunch of kettlebell presses. Did 75 reps with the 24kg kettlebell over about 45 minutes. Felt pretty good and not sore the next day. It was a beautiful night (mid-60s) and pretty nice working out in the driveway.

Saturday May 14

Deadlift 5 x 1 x 355
    Incline Bench 3 x 5 x 165
    Lying Tricep Extensions 3 x 10 x 45
    One Arm Row 3 x 10 x 70

I think that I am going to deload on the deadlift. Gone pretty hard four weeks in a row, and only progressed ten pounds over three weeks, and the 355 still felt very heavy. The flat bench was taken so I did incline bench instead. It was pouring rain so no tire flips. Pretty average lifting week.
    Last edited by kopp; 05-21-2022 at 05:33 PM.

Wednesday May 18

Squat 3 x 5 x 95
    Bench 195 x 5,1,2

My main goal for this workout had been to make progress benching 195. I was thinking about the fact that my bench press is much better on the weekends than during the week. My hypothesis was that this was because I did deadlifts first on the weekend; during the week I go right to bench. Maybe the warmup was why I bench better on weekends. I decided to do squats beforehand as a warmup. I haven't done a back squat in probably ten years. These weren't hard in the sense that I could have done more weight. They were hard in the sense that midway through my second set I felt like someone had beaten my quads with a golf club. Either way, the bench went terrible, felt very heavy. Moving forward I am going to keep squatting as that is the obvious low hanging fruit to get stronger.

Saturday May 21

Squat 3 x 5 x 115
    Dumbbell Bench 120 x 7,7,7,7,10
    Deadlift 12 x 1 x 275
    Lying Tricep Extensions 3 x 12 x 45
    One Arm Row 3 x 12 x 65

The squats went much better, not nearly as sore during or after. The bench was being used so I decided to sub in dumbbell benchpress instead. For the deadlifts, I had been grinding at heavy weight for a few weeks in a row and so needed a deload. These were on the minute. All felt very solid.

This week was pretty unremarkable. Didn't make progress on either bench or deadlift. Though I guess the fact that I have finally started squatting is a positive, and I should hopefully be set up for continued progress moving forward.
    Last edited by kopp; 05-21-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Wednesday May 25

Kettlebell Press 2 x (1,2,3,4,5) x 60

This was a late night workout in the driveway. Beautiful evening. Did 30 kettlebell presses with each arm with 60 pounds.

Sunday May 29

Deadlift 5 x 1 x 355
    Bench 195 x 5,5,5,4

The first four deadlifts went well; the last one was pretty slow. Afterwards my hips/butt area felt pretty ragged. I'm thinking through the risk reward of these. I'm not a competitive athlete - just somebody trying to stay injury free, feel good, be able to move, etc... It seems I might be better off keeping the deadlifts in the 275-315 region, focus on pulling the weight fast, decreasing rest periods, and keeping perfect form, as opposed to grinding through heavy reps. Something to consider moving forward. Didn't have time to do squats. On the bench, not sure why I'm having so much trouble at this weight. I had no problem at 190; but 195 feels heavy. This is basically the same as what I was benching in February. Pretty frustrating.
    Last edited by kopp; 05-30-2022 at 07:05 AM.

Wednesday June 1

Squat 3 x 5 x 115
    Bench 3 x 5 x 200
    Lying tricep extensions 3 x 10 x 55
    One arm row 3 x 10 x 75

Monday June 6

Squat 3 x 5 x 125
    Dumbbell Bench 3 x 7 x 140

Spent the weekend at my parents house, didn't get a chance to squeeze in a workout. Today's workout was just before close, so had to end it pretty early. Pretty mediocre but glad I'm squatting again, these feel pretty good.

Thursday June 9

Squat 3 x 5 x 135
    Incline Bench 170 x 5,5,5,3,3

Squats are feeling good. The flat bench was occupied so I did incline instead. I had a pretty narrow window to lift so I only finished the big lifts.

Sunday June 12

Squat 3 x 5 x 140
    Bench 5 x 5 x 200
    Deadlift 5 x 2 x 275; 5 x 1 x 275

Really good lift today. The squats are getting easier. 140 was easier than 135; 135 was easier than 125. I think there's a pretty long runway to improve on the squats. Knees and back feel really good, form was pretty spot on, so far as I can tell. Today's bench session was great, really felt like I'm making progress. I think I'm done deadlifting progressively for a while. Going to focus on bench and squats. Every other week or so I'll do deadlifts similar to today, work on getting plenty of reps with good bar speed. I rested about a minute between each set on the deadlifts, so these went pretty quick. Total workout time was right around an hour.

Wednesday June 15

Squat 3 x 5 x 145
    Dumbbell Bench 5 x 7 x 140
    Lying Tricep Extensions 3 x 12 x 55
    Dumbbell row 3 x 12 x 75

Saturday June 18

Squat 3 x 5 x 155
    Kettlebell press 5 x 7 x 53 (24kg)

Typically I squat at a rack where there is a mirror directly to my front. That rack was taken today so I used one without a mirror. One benefit to the mirror is I know when I've gone far enough down. Today I found that when I get down I didn't really know when to stop, so these were somewhat inconsistent. I think on many I went too deep and ended up losing tightness at the bottom. I just haven't squatted enough reps for it to be muscle memory yet. The benches were occupied so I decided to go home and do kettlebell presses in the driveway. It had been a while since I pressed overhead, so I felt like this was a good use of my time. Will probably repeat 155 on the squats and tackle 205 on the bench this week.

Thursday June 23

Squats 3 x 5 x 155

I had a very brief window mid day to workout. Only was able to get in squats. Didn't move the ball forward, but even getting in a short workout hopefully slowed detraining. It has been a very busy few weeks at work.

Saturday June 25

Deadlift 6 x 2 x 295
    Bench 205 x 5,5,3
    Squat 4 x 5 x 155

Good workout today. The deadlifts were on the minute, so I did 12 reps in about 6 minutes. A few were mixed grip but most were double overhand. They felt pretty solid. I did the bench and squats in a superset because I had a pretty short window to workout. By the third set of bench I was feeling pretty worn out. Overall happy with the bench though. I decided to tack on another set of squats since I'd been at this weight for a few workouts. The squats felt really good, felt like I got in plenty of solid reps.
    Last edited by kopp; 06-25-2022 at 07:22 PM.

Saturday July 2

Deadlift 10 x 1 x 305
    Squat 3 x 5 x 165

This was a really long week at work, and I didn't manage to squeeze in a workout mid week. The bench and squat rack were occupied when I got to the gym, so decided to start with deadlifts. Ten singles more or less on the minute. Including drink breaks, the deadlifts took a little less than 15 minutes. The squats went pretty well. The last two sets I used a belt. They started out so strong that I thought I might go for five sets, but at the end of the third set I got a bad cramp in my right hamstring. I probably hadn't had enough water to drink, though not sure if there's another reason.

I bought some Adidas powerlifting shoes that came on Thursday. This was my first workout with them, thought they really felt good. Way more secure than the crappy sneakers I've been lifting in.

Sunday July 3

Dumbbell Bench 5 x 5 x 150
    One arm row 3 x 15 x 75
    Kettlebell Press 3 x 8 x 50
    Last edited by kopp; 07-03-2022 at 02:11 PM.

Wednesday July 6

Squat 3 x 5 x 165

Had a very narrow window to lift on Wednesday during the day and was only able to finish squats.

Saturday July 9

Squat 5 x 5 x 165
    Dumbbell Bench 150 x 6,6,5,4

Squats went really well, felt strong. First sets of dumbbell bench went well, but I may not have rested long enough and the fourth set felt pretty heavy. I was pretty spent by the end of the workout. The last few times I've tried to barbell bench press my shoulder has felt a little irritated. The dumbbells feel a lot better. I can keep my elbows tucked closer to my body. I'll probably do dumbbell bench for a while and then switch back to barbell bench once I plateau.

starting strength coach development program
    Monday July 11

Kettlebell Press 5 x 8 x 53 (24kg)

Wednesday July 13

Squat 3 x 5 x 175
    Dumbbell Bench Press 150 x 6,6,6,5,5

Sunday July 17

Squat 175 x 5,5,5,3,3,3
    Deadlift 6 x 2 x 275
    Kettlebell Press 5 x 8 x 53 (24kg)
    Pullups 3 x 5 x BW

Today's workout was at the beach. Took my time, felt like it went really well. Felt very strong.

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast