Thread: zen and the art of strength training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    week 2

Monday, 6/3 Kettlebell snatches -- 50 in 2:26
    Tuesday, 6/4 Pullups 14, 8, 6, 6, 3
    Thursday, 6/6 Pullups 10, 10, 8, 8
    Sunday 6/9 kettlebell swing, tabata style, 9 sets: 12, 12, 11, 12, 11, 11, 12, 11, 11

It rained a bunch this week. And my gf's parents came to visit, which took up my nights. So not as much kettlebell work as I would have wanted. Nonetheless, the swings today went really well. Hoping to get 3 kb sessions, and 2 pullups sessions in this week.

week 3

Tuesday, 6/11 Pullups 15, 8, 6, 5, 5
    Wednesday, 6/12 3 x 1 minute max kettlebell swing: 33, 32, 32
    Friday, 6/14 Pullups 8, 8, 8, 6, 5, 5
    Saturday, 6/15 Kettlebell snatch 66 reps in 2:38, 1 minute max swing, 31
    Sunday, 6/16 swings 1 to 1 work to rest ratio 1:30, 47 reps, 1:00, 32 reps, 0:30, 16 reps.
    Last edited by kopp; 06-17-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Week 4

Wednesday, 6/19 Pullups 15, 5 --- bicep started cramping
    Friday, 6/21 Pullups 3 x 10
    Saturday, 6/22 10 sets x 15 kb kettlebell swings. Each set was on the minute. Unfortunately the skin on the outer portion of my ring fingers were rubbed completely raw. Really painful, as the outer layer of skin was completely torn away. In the future, I need to make sure I grab the bell with all 5 fingers, and not have my pinky curled underneath.

I am going to start this page up again - I enjoyed keeping a blog back when I worked out more regularly, and it might motivate me to stay consistent. Fast forward eight years from where this left off. Now have a job, wife, two young kids. Mid thirties, not early twenties. Not a lot of free time. My goals are different - before I wanted to be as strong as possible. But now the most important thing is feeling good, and not being hurt. That's an important distinction because injuries seem to come a lot more frequently, with a lot less cause, than they did a decade ago.

Since 2013 I've worked out on and off - some periods were more consistent than others. Fortunately, I haven't gotten fat - I still weigh 205, which is where I was when this blog ended. I had a year where all I did was pullups (got up to 15 deadhangs). Other times I joined gyms and deadlifted or squatted, but never got nearly as strong as where I was when I kept this. Since COVID started I bought a 28kg and 32kg kettlebell. One benefit of the pandemic was no traveling or any of the interruptions that lead to missed workouts. I did a lot of kettlebell swing / press routines. My main accomplishment was finishing the rite of passage with 28kg: basically, pressed 5 sets of a ladder consisting of 1,2,3,4,5 reps, or 75 total reps with each arm.

Last month I got a membership to our gym down the street and have been going twice a week. I'd like to get back into barbells, and need a change from kettlebell work.

My goals by the end of the year:

Deadlift 1 x 5 x 345
    Bench 3 x 5 x 215
    Pullups BW x 15
    Kettlebell press - 5 x 5 x 32 kg

Today's workout:

Deadlift: 5 x 135, 185, 225, 265
    Bench: 3 x 5 x 175
    Pullups: BW x 7 7 7 7

I get a vasectomy next Friday so there will be a week or two where I'm not working out. I'll view it as a forced reset. Hopefully there won't be any interruptions the rest of the year.

Hopefully the vasectomy goes well. I had one many years ago. I heard the stories of how sore people were that had that procedure but in my case, I couldn't even tell I had anything done. It never hurt at all, even right after. I hope you have the same fortune. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Hopefully the vasectomy goes well. I had one many years ago. I heard the stories of how sore people were that had that procedure but in my case, I couldn't even tell I had anything done. It never hurt at all, even right after. I hope you have the same fortune. Good luck!
    Thanks! I've talked to a few people who have all had different experiences. Hopefully mine won't be too bad.

Today's workout:

Deadlift 5 x 135, 185, 225, 275
    Incline Bench 5 x 5 x 145
    Pullups BW x 7

My lats were killing me, so I only did one set of pullups. There was a line for the flat bench so I did incline instead. These felt pretty good. About two months ago I irritated my left knee hiking, this evening as I was walking up the stairs it felt quite bad. Hopefully that isn't an issue in the future.

I will probably do some kettlebell work on Thursday, which I may or may not record. Will probably not lift with a barbell again until the week of the 13th.

Back again. The vasectomy went well, though I felt like I got kicked in the balls continuously for about 10 days. Then I was playing with my daughter and hurt my neck, and then went on vacation. So it was a solid month of no exercise at all. Started lifting again at the start of October, and tonight got back to around where I was when I left off above.

Deadlift 5 x 275
    Bench 3 x 5 x 170
    Pullups BW x 7,7,7

I tried to do some squats at the end but my left knee felt really irritated. I somehow hurt it back in July and it feels tight and sore when I run up the stairs or do other stuff that bends it. I keep hoping it will feel better, but it hasn't yet. Deadlifts and Kettlebell swings don't irritate it, presumably because the knee doesn't bend very much. I'll play it by ear I guess, though I'd like to start squatting again too.

Workout took about 45 minutes, felt pretty good.

Bench 3 x 5 x 175
    Pullups BW x 8,7,7

Tire Flip x 5/4/3/2/1; Pushup x 10/8/6/4/2

The tire flips and pushups were done as a superset. I took breaks as needed but tried to keep it moving. Didn't time myself or anything, but heart rate was pretty elevated by the end. Thought the pushups were actually quite challenging, probably because I'd just benched. Our gym has a pretty large tire for flipping and some space to do these sorts of workouts. It was a beautiful day, so glad I could do some of this outside.

There's 9 weeks left to the year, so if I can add 10 pounds to my DL and 5 pounds to my bench per week, I'll still have some buffer to hit the year end goals.
    Last edited by kopp; 11-10-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Wednesday October 27

Overhead Kettlebell Press 50 x 5 x 5

I only had time for a short workout and was exhausted from my kids not sleeping well and waking up at the crack of dawn, so I stopped after the presses. Next time around I'll probably use the 24kg (53 pounds), should be able to get 5x5 no problem.

starting strength coach development program
    Deadlift 5 x 285
    Pullups BW x 8,8

Today I did the other half of the workout from Wednesday. Morning session before work, took about 30 minutes. After each deadlift I stood up and counted to five, then reset and did a perfect rep. Double overhand, belted. They felt pretty heavy.

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast