• starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thursday July 21

Squat 5 x 5 x 175
    Dumbbell Bench Press 5 x 6 x 150

Sunday July 24

Squat 3 x (1,2,3) x 185
    Kettlebell Press 5 x 5 x 60
    Deadlifts 10 x 1 x 325

Good lift today. I woke up feeling really stiff, and my knees felt very tight. Didn't know how it was going to go. But the squats actually loosened me up quite a bit and my legs and hips felt pretty good throughout. The main goal was just to get a decent number of quality reps at 185. On the deadlifts, I was originally just going to do a few at 275 but felt very strong and decided to go up to 325, which is the most I've deadlifted in a few months. 7 of the 10 reps were double overhand. They all felt very solid, good form. All in all a good week.

Thursday July 28

Squat 185 x 5,5,5,3,3
    Dumbbell Bench Press 150 x 7,7,6,6,6

Sunday July 31

Squat 5 x 5 x 185
    Kettlebell Press 3 x 3 x 70

Squats are going really well. My knees have never felt better. Both days I was pressed for time so focused on the squats and pressing, but not much else. Went jet skiing yesterday for the first time; today my body was sore in all sorts of weird ways, though I don't think it negatively affected the lift. Have slight elbow pain from the squats, especially in the left arm.

Tuesday August 2

Kettlebell Press 5 x (1,2,3,4,5)

This was a late night workout in my driveway. It was a beautiful warm summer night, took me about 90 minutes to complete. I'd originally thought I'd only do three ladders of 1,2,3,4,5, but I was listening to Joe Rogan's interview of David Goggins, which motivated (shamed) me into doing 5 full ladders. The first set was with the 53 pound kettlebell; the second, fourth and fifth sets were with the 60 pound bell; the third set was with the 70 pound bell. These probably weren't strict presses; on the 70 pounder for sure they were more like a push press. 75 total reps with each arm. All in all a really enjoyable session.

Friday August 5

Squat 3 x (2,3,5) x 185
    Deadlift 2 x 2 x 275
    Pushups 2 x 10

Goal for today was to get 30 reps on the squats, which I did. This was quite taxing though. Afterwards I did some deadlifts and pushups but then my hamstrings cramped and I started feeling nauseous so I declared victory and stopped.

We drive to Massachusetts to visit the in-laws this weekend. We are staying the night in NYC and then finishing the trip on Sunday. I'm planning to bring my lifting shoes and will aim to get a normal lift in sometime this week.

Tuesday August 9

Deadlift 10 x 1 x 315
    Dumbbell Bench 3 x 7 x 150

Friday August 12

Squat 5 x 3 x 195
    Dumbbell Bench 5 x 7 x 150

Was on vacation visiting my inlaws last week, so both of these were at a different than normal gym. Both went well. I'll probably repeat the dumbbell bench workout a few times before jumping up to the 80 pound weights. The squats went well.

On Saturday and Sunday we drove back. Long time in the car. Then we stopped at a jungle gym to let the kids stretch their legs. I can't help myself at some of these parks, I inevitably end up chasing the kids all over the place, jumping on the equipment, etc... Yesterday and today my back and hamstrings were killing me. I feel like a cripple. So weird how the most random things can leave you so sore. Hopefully it doesn't derail things.

Thursday August 18

Squat 195 x 5,5,3,3,3,3,3
    Dumbbell Bench 4 x 7 x 150

Squats went well, they were a solid improvement over last time. I was a little pressed for time so on the bench I didn't take long enough breaks and my chest cramped on the last set. Had planned to go for 5 sets, but called it quits after 4 sets for that reason.

Sunday August 21

Squat 5 x 5 x 195
    Kettlebell Press 3 x 10 x 50
    Pullups 3 x 5
    Pushups 3 x 10

Squats felt really good, I am set to move up to 205 this week. I tried to keep the presses as strict as possible, they were pretty solid throughout. By the time I got to the pullups and pushups my body felt like lead.

I've been taking time after the squats and at the end of the workouts to stretch for 5-10 minutes. I'm going to try and make this a priority, even on non-lifting days. I am very stiff and inflexible. One goal for the end of the year will be to be able to lay on the floor with my butt against a wall, and have my legs extended flat against the wall. Not close to able to do that now.

Wednesday August 24

Deadlift 10 x 1 x 335
    Pushups 7 x 10

Saturday August 27

Squat 3 x (1,2,3) x 205
    Dumbbell Bench 5 x 7 x 150
    Loaded Carries

Default End of Year Goals

Primary Strength Goals For End Of Year

Squat 5 x 5 x 255
    Dumbbell Bench 5 x 7 x 170
    Deadlift 10 x 1 x 355

Secondary Strength Goals

Kettlebell Press 3 x 10 x 60
    Pushups BW x 30
    Pullups BW x 12

Non-strength Fitness Goals

Ruck 10 miles with 40 pounds in <3 hours
    Lay on ground with butt against wall and be able to extend legs straight against wall

For the most part I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing: squatting or deadlifting every workout, coupled with at least one pressing exercise. I am going to make an effort to add pullups throughout the workouts moving forward.

One additional thing I've started doing is really focusing on stretching after the squats and again at the end of the workout. I'm really inflexible and improving my flexibility is a key goal for the next few months.

Now that the weather is cooling off I'm going to start rucking - aka hiking, or "humping" as we called it in the Marines (obvious why "rucking" and not "humping" caught for the equivalent in civilian world). I have a two track plan to hit the rucking goal. I plan to go out early in the morning once during the work week and hike with 20 pounds. I'll probably start with 2-3 miles, and plan to add one mile every few weeks so that by years end I'll be doing 6-7 miles as the mid-week ruck. I'm also planning to meet a friend every other weekend or so to do a hike, which I'll load up heavier and gradually add distance until we get to 10 miles. For the next month or so i don't expect we'll be going very far so doubt that this will interfere with strength training. As we get deeper into the Fall the weekend hike might replace the weekend lift. We'll have to see how well my body tolerates it.
    Last edited by kopp; 08-28-2022 at 06:18 PM.

Tuesday August 30

Squat 205 x 5,5,3,3,3
    Pushups/Pullups

Good lift in late afternoon. Squats went well, my body felt like lead during the pushups and pullups. Not sure how many I did, but definitely not enough to write about.

Thursday September 1

Ruck: 3.2 miles; 53 minutes; 20 pounds

I felt surprisingly good with the one exception that I got some blisters on my heels. I was wearing new boots and I foolishly thought 3 miles was not far enough to get blisters. Learned that I need to take moleskin on these going forward. But my muscles and joints felt good and I never got out of breath. Compared to knee or hip pain, blisters are a relatively easy fix.

Saturday September 3

BW: 214

Squat 205 x 5,5,5,3,3,3,3
    Dumbbell Bench 5 x 5 x 160
    Carries
    Planks

Great day of squatting. Should be in a good position to get 5 sets of 5 at 205 on my next lift. Form felt good all the way through, went deep, just felt strong from top to bottom. Really happy with the progress on the squats.

Sunday September 4

Ruck: 4.5 miles; 1:14; 20 pounds

After each workout did 15 minutes of stretching. Can already start to tell a difference.
    Last edited by kopp; 09-04-2022 at 10:21 AM.

Tuesday September 6

Kettlebell Press 3 x 10 x 53 (24kg)

Did these while watching a movie late in the evening (Bone Tomahawk; quite disturbing). Plenty of rest between sets.

Wednesday, September 7

Deadlift 10 x 2 x 295
    Pushups 10 x 10 x BW

The squat racks were in use so decided to do some deadlifts. These were all solid. Superset them with the pushups, which were probably the more challenging part of the workout. Tried to take my time between sets but toward the end my heart rate was pretty elevated. A little surprised I was able to do 100 pushups with good form. Got 10 reps on all 10 sets.

Friday September 9

Squat 3 x 5 x 205

Not a great lift. I went right before it closed and there was someone on the squat rack so worked in with them. Felt rushed, didn't go through my normal warmup. I just felt off, so decided not to push my luck and stopped after 3 sets.

Sunday September 11

Squat 5 x 5 x 205
    Dumbbell Bench 160 x 6,6,5,5,5
    Carries

Had originally planned to do a 5 mile ruck today with a friend, but it was pouring rain. This was a solid morning lift, the squats felt really good. Only issue is my left bicep hurts, not sure why. Something to watch for I guess.

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday September 14

Kettlebell Press 3 x (1,2,3,4,5) x 60

I've had a crazy and very stressful week at work, and the kids have been sick. This was about 45 minutes late at night in the driveway. I could have done 5 sets easy with my right arm but my left bicep was hurting so I decided to stop after three sets.

Thursday September 15

Ruck: 1 hour; 20 pounds

Early morning pre-work hike. Not sure how far I went. I did about thirty minutes and then turned around and walked back. Kept a pretty good clip, and felt good throughout.

Sunday September 18

Ruck: 1:15; 4.5 miles; 20 pounds

Beautiful morning, started at about 7 am and hiked with a friend. Felt good throughout.

Overall, this was a pretty weird week. I had planned to lift Friday but I felt under the weather, might have had a mild version of what the kids caught. Had considered getting up early to do squats on Saturday before spending the day at my parents' house. But the kids were up all night and I was way too tired Saturday morning to workout. All in all it is fine, I'll try and squat either tomorrow or Tuesday, and keep things progressing.

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast