starting strength gym

Thread: James's never messing my back up again log

Default James's never messing my back up again log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Previous PR's: 380/245/345 @ 240lbs

I effecively lost half of the past year due to various reasons while living out in Denver. Most of the lifting I did get in though was volume based since the gym I went to did not have adjustable safeties. I was my strongest around January. I would hit reps, add weight then deload a tad and add more reps.

210lbs and biking 16mi 4-5 times a week, below is sets x reps
    Sq: 5x2 295, 265x5, 245x5
    B: 5x3 200, 185 2x5
    DL: 315x5 Hex plates and if i had to cut a lift the DL was it, which i did often.
    WC: 8x3 + 20lbs
    Dips:8x3+25lbs

I recently moved back to NJ and committed to going back to the gym and rushed into heavyish weights on the squat since I felt strong, then I fucked my QL pretty good on the last warm up of squats at 245 and had to go to the ER.(I'll post that video soon, my pained faces were hilarious) My technqiue felt real shakey, but I was bull headed since the gym floor wasn't squishy and 265 @ 207lbs was feeling light inspite of bad technique. (My stance was too narrow and i relaxed to get depth) So I took a week off and had no signs of sciatica days after the event, by the end of the week i was 100%.

This time I'm committing to developing solid technique, so i deloaded all my weights after the QL event.

Current numbers and programming:
    BW ~210lbs ~30%bf

Day A - Sq 3x5, B 3x5,P 5x2 - I may switch the press and bench around since i really want to bring that up. Adding 5lbs a session to each lift

Day B - Sq 3x5, WC 5x2, HP 5x2, DL 5x2 - I really need to practice pulling and put myself in a position to address what I suck at. I'm just using high pulls as warm ups before deads. Once i get the motion down I'll transition to the power clean and adjust the programming accordingly.

Sq - 135 5x5 - this week I'll start basic LP and should be at 225 by the end of the month. I wanted to try flat shoes, but all mine compress as i found out today hitting 135.

B - 3x5 160 - Deloaded from 200lbs and holy fuck does weight loss make benching feel less stable. I also keep fighting hip flexor cramps in my right leg after squats messing up my arch, I don't know how to address that but moving it after pressing might be a work around.

P - 5x2 115 - I'm aiming for 185 this year, I'm practicing 2.0 style and if i wait for the pop then the weight just flies up.

DL 5x2 250 - figuring this out finally, I'm getting my chest up on most reps and the bar isn't drifting away.

HP 5x2 135 - feels cool, it really is more of a test of my patience, but i'm getting there.

Chins - I spam triples and doubles between sets and warm ups of everything. Today was 3,2 until I hit 45. Once I hit 50 i'll be trying 4,3 until I'm back to 50 with that rep scheme. I did eight in a row about a month ago when i was hovering around ~200 which was cool, i never got that many reps straigtht through.

Weigted Chins - 5x2 10.5 - followed by BW chins until I match the last sessons number

This maybe riddled with typos and errors, I'm not use to using my tablets keyboard yet. I'll link videos later.

Squat 3x5 185 - These felt very solid, my last warm up was 225x2 and it felt like butter. I decided though to stick to the plan though and did 185.

WC 12.5lbs 5x2 - I did these between ses of squats
    Chins 36 12x3 - Felt good despite rope climbing/swinging into a river all day yesterday.

HP 140 5x2 - Again these felt good, I forgot to film them.
    Deadlift 5x2 265 - I need to widen my grip some so I can lift my chest up. I felt stronger when my hips were higher, I did get a bit loose though.

Squat 3x5 225 - YouTube

The last few felt better, afterwards I focused on pushing out my knees more so they stay parallel with my feet. I'll get more angles tomorrow so I can post a form check.

Never say never.