starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing the ICNDTFP program while I wait for/recover from surgery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Congrats on making it to the other side. Pretty soon you'll be back in full swing!

I'm back, and sadly, a bit weak, but working on it .

Leg press, good leg
    378x3x5--since I'm climbing back on the horse not bad.

Barbell bench
    165x3x5--A bit too tough thought crutching would help this.

Lat pulldown
    200x5,3,3--crutching did payoff here, but didn't improve. redoing.

Seated ohp
    85x5, 90x5, 95x5--tough but maybe I do 100 next time

Dl
    155x1--tried it in the boot. No pain but probably best to wait a week or two.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John Bono; 08-18-2011 at 05:58 PM.

2nd workout postop, plus a new exercise, seated good morning:

seated gms:
    95X5X2, 115X5 -- Kind of a funky movement, a bit of a pita to unrack the weight.

Leg Press, right leg:
    393X5X2, 393X8--getting hard. If only my right glute is sore tomorrow, does that make me half butthurt?

Seated OHP
    100X5,5,4--missed the last rep. redo.

Bench press
    170X5,3,3 -- I figured I'd fail this, doing it right after the press. Tuesday I reverse the order

Lat Pulldown
    200X5,3,3 -- one more try, then reset.

Therapy today, plus gym.

Therapy--Lots of funky exercises that probably any 5 year old could perform, but are friggin' excruciating if you are recovering from surgery.

Gym:

Made a couple of changes to the workout. I yanked all pulling movements from today's workout along with seated GMs. Tomorrow I'll do seated GMs, lat pulldowns, planks, and one or two other pulling movements tbd.

Anyway, today's workout:

Leg Press, good leg:
    423X5X3--Hard. 10 lb increments from now on.

Bench
    170X5X3--Idiot spotter made me have to do an extra rep. Just because I have a boot on my foot doesn't mean I'm "special" and need extra help when I'm under the bar..

Seated OHP
    100X5X3--Not too bad; Doing this belted from now on.

Lower back was sore today, so pulled seated GMs. I'll be doing those with the press, Bench, and leg press. What was left was the following:

Funky PT stuff. Hard to explain, mainly concerned with ankle ROM, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Planks:
    30secs, 40,40,50, 60--first time I've done these in a very long time. Used a foam roller to isolate my foot from any stress.

Dumbbell Row:
    85X5, 90X5, 95X5--doing this in a bit of a nonstandard way. I use two weight benches parallel to each other, and put my knees on one and the off hand on the other. That takes all stress off the not-quite-yet ready to lift foot. Doing 100X5X3 on Fri.

Lat Pulldown

200X3,4,3--too hard now that I'm doing rows. Time to reset.

Another day, another workout:

Funky PT stuff. Yep, hard to explain, not gonna, yada yada yada.

Leg Press:
    433X5X3. Hard, but I'm going to have the most badass right leg in the gym. My left on the other hand....

Seated Press:
    105X5X3

Seated GM
    135X8X2, 135X10

Elbows are killing me, so abandoned bench today. Didn't want to aggravate the tendonitis.

Yesterday'sOff day workout:

Kroc row(yes, it is a dumbbell row, but I discovered that the way I am doing it actually has a name attached:
    100X5X3--I'm going to start transitioning to higher reps on this before increasing the weight, since it is an assistance exercise. I think I'm going to move this over to my primary day, since it does tax the spinae a bit much.

Planks:

30, 30, 50 Pussed out--just wasn't feeling the plank love.

Funky PT crap--again, I won't describe it, but I did it.

Lat Pulldown
    175X5X3--starting reset--damn hard after doing kroc row.

Some changes to the program. Off days will consist of just PT crap. Dumped seated good mornings for kroc rows, and added seated dips. When I can do 5XBW(and the foot has healed to the point that I can jump), I'll switch to standard dips.

Leg Press, right leg:
    443X6,5,5 Getting hard, thought I might have cheated a tad on the first set, did a punishment rep.

Bench:
    175X5X3--Easy Peasy. Maybe I'll rocket past my PR in the next two weeks.

Kroc Row:
    100X10,10,7--Did a crapload of reps because the next dumbell I have to use is 110.

Seated overhead press:
    110X2 and done--I need to rearrange my lifting to deal with the extra intensity of the rows. Even though I press and bench every workout, I alternate the order, so the second one is an assistance lift, and the first lift actually counts, if that makes sense.

Lat Pulldown:
    180X5X3--reset in progress, easy peasy

Funky PT crap
    yada yada yada

Seated Dip
    206X5,216X5,226X5--new exercise, exploring my 5RM. Hopefully I can do BW on this before the foot heals.

News so far:

Dumped the last wedge from my boot today. Figured at this point, it would be a good time to add some risky business to my therapy:

Been nearly two months since I've driven the old girl. Felt nice.

Default Icndtfp(bitmpssimbatdiah)*

*I Cannot Do The Fucking Program(But I Think Maybe Possibly Someday Soon I Might Be Able To Do It Again, Hopefully)

I am now booted only part time. It's both a good and bad thing. The good thing is that now some standing lifts are OK. The bad thing is that the weakest link is still my foot, so it is really important that I make certain that I don't do anything that will cause the tendon to rerupture.

PT stuff--
    10 min recumbent bike
    one-legged 1mph treadmill walk for gait training(forcing myself to walk heel-toe, etc)
    balance board
    calf stretch

Gym:
    Leg Press BOTH LEGS(woohoo!)
    103X15X3(empty sled)--Yes, this is very wimpy. I'm going to load 20lb/workout at high reps until I'm certain that tendon is hooked up to my foot good and strong. Goal is to get weak leg to catch up to strong leg.

Leg Press--(good leg only)
    453X4--failed the first set, pussed out a bit. This is probably the last time I'll do a single leg press anyway. Now it is more important to start getting the weak leg to catch up to the strong one, than to spend time strengthening a leg that isn't to shabby too begin with.

Deadlift(WOOHOO!!)
    135x10x2(unbooted), 185X5(booted)--Next time, I'm doing 140X10X3 unbooted. I'm getting my volume for high rep/low weight, again, until I know for certain that tendon is good and healed.

Standing OHP(WOOHOO!!)
    110X5,4,5--I missed a rep on the middle set when I tried resting at the top position rather than the down one. I discovered that while that is easier seated, standing, it is better having it in the rack position. I'm going to bump the weight next time regardless of the missed rep.

Lat Pulldown
    185X5X2--simply ran out of time, gym was closing, had to bail.

And the theme for today's workout:

"The marvel is not the bear dances well , but that the bear dances at all"

starting strength coach development program
    Another day, another ICNDTFP workout:

Leg Press--two legs
    153X15X3--Yeah, I said I'd only bump it 20 lbs. However, I discovered a limit to my pussydom, and my self respect made me add 50.

Bench press:
    180X5X3--MUCH easier than I had expected. When I had first "come back" from surgery, 165 was brutal. 180 was a piece of cake in comparison. Maybe if I get lucky, I can break 225 by the end of the month.

Lat Pulldown
    185X5X3--Reset in progress.

OHP Press:
    115X4,1-- I expected to do a bit better at this. When I do the press today, it counts as an assistance exercise, not primary, so I'll do it again Tues.

Deadlift:
    140X10X3--Yeah, it's light. Yeah, I'm repping like a crossfitter. When you have to do reps in a fucking medieval torture boot, you can bitch and moan about how I'm a pussy. Until then, FOAD. LOL

Stride training(treadmill)
    10min at 1MPH--Slow, just trying to walk in a normal fashion without overstressing the foot.

Balance Board
    fore/aft 2min
    left/right 2 min--Not really for balance, more for exploring the limits of my ankle mobility.

Seated Dip
    236X5X3 -- Add another 50 some-odd lbs, and I can transition to regular dips.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast