starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing the ICNDTFP program while I wait for/recover from surgery

Default Doing the ICNDTFP program while I wait for/recover from surgery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I blew out my achilles tendon a little over two weeks ago, and as a result, ICNDTFP. On 7/19 I go in to surgery to get it repaired. I am assuming that my rehab protocol will be something like this.

Since I will be unable to do SS probably until the first week of October at the earliest, I developed a program to allow me to maintain/enhance my existing strength and preserve as much of the leg strength in my bad leg as I can. I will be doing this in the run up until surgery(last workout will be 7/15), and as soon I can do light weight bearing on the leg(meaning I'm on crutches, but can use leg to balance). Adjustments to my program will depend on therapy, etc. I may introduce some SS movements as I get stronger.

Anyway, here are the pre-injury stats(all stats in lbs):
    Squat 305X5X3, PR 315X1(yes, my depth sucks--don't remind me)
    DL 295X3, PR 315X1
    Bench 195X5,3,2
    Press 130X5,3
    PC 135X3X4, 135X2(yes, that sucks too--I'm a latecomer to this exercise)
    Personal stats(5'10", 290lb, 45YO)

Today's workout:
    Leg Press(good leg)--N%BW+190X5X3(your body weight moves the sled. I don't know what %, though. Plate loaded, I can do 370, but trying to rack up plates one legged on crutches is a royal PITA.

Leg Extension(both legs)--290X5,305X5X2--That's the full stack. Now I gotta do each leg individually.

Resistance band(bad leg)
    Ham/glute - 14 reps
    abductor - 12 reps
    adductor - 10 reps

Ab crunch -- 55X15X3(again, maxed it out--next time I'll do 20)
    DB Bench-- 80X5X3--Trying to probe out what my actual work weight is. I think I might try 90 lb next time
    Pushups -- BW+35X10X3--Usually, I support the bad leg w/ a foam roller. Today I crossed bad leg over good. That was a little rough on my good foot. I'm going back to the roller.

Tried doing the pull part of the workout today. Looks like any form of row is now officially now the province of "Silly Little Machines" until I can walk. Spinae will have to be worked via hypers on the floor. I'm also moving everything to a MWF schedule. Anyway, here's what I did:

Lat Pull
    180X5,185X5,190X4--On Fri, I'll do 185X5X3

Went to beach--hobbled 100 yards, swam maybe 50 yards

And the way my traps feel from all this hobbling, they're going to be friggin' huge by the time I can walk.

Ok, this is a post for two days, 7/8 and today:

7/8--Easy easy day.

Crunches--BW+55 X20X3

I had spent 7/7 off crutches chasing the dog. The surgeon says I'm allowed to do that, since I get a new achilles a week from Tues, I am currently on a "beater foot". However, since I'm walking with one foot 2" longer than the other, it isn't a good idea . My "good" leg was feeling a little loosy goosy in the knee, so I bagged the leg workouts. Doing something that could fuck up the good leg is a Bad Thing, so I'm back on crutches. Also, I have tendonitis in both elbows. Pressing, pushups, and lat pulls may be out for a while. I haven't tried doing rows yet. I'll try it Tuesday and see how it goes.

7/10* --

Leg Press(R) --200 X5X3
    Leg Extension(R) 150X5X3--I limited my good leg to the number that my bad leg is capable of.
    Leg Extension(L) 150X5X3
    Abductor Band(L) - 10 reps
    Adductor Band(L) - 10 reps
    Ham/glute Band(L) - 10 reps
    Crunches BW+55X25X3
    Back Hypers - N(Next time, I promise, I'll count them)

I may have to bag separate leg extensions. I was noticing it is starting to load the back off-center at heavy weight. That is also a Bad Thing. I may just stay with a two legged stack for the time being, and work up to a zillion reps. I may redo my workout to doing stair climbs(on crutches) and one legged hops to a step, and pulling everything else except two legged leg extensions until I can walk. The tendonitis in my elbows is really FUBARing any upper body work(Did a single rep of seated DB presses at a fairly light weight, and that was it). Again, my traps are godawful sore.

*L - bad leg, R - good leg.
    Last edited by John Bono; 07-10-2011 at 03:52 PM.

I think I'm turning into a crossfitter or something. Every time I go to the gym, I forget to do something, so my workout turns essentially random. Didn't do anything for the arms today, except pushups, because of the tendonitis issue.

Stairclimb--5 flights --New exercise. I use my crutches to climb stairs as fast as I can. When I get to the top, I take the elevator down, and do it again. If there is a squat replacement for someone who is on crutches, this is it. Arms, traps, chest, and good leg are hammered. I'm going to save this for the last exercise of the day because it affected---
    Leg Press(R)--210X1,3,2-- Climbing stairs really nails my leg, and my traps and arms. Because of that, I got nowhere fast on the leg press.
    Leg Extension--305X5,9,11--I wish I could be belted in while doing these.
    Pushups: BW+40X10X3--Next time, big boy plate.
    Hops(R) 20,17,24--New exercise. Use aerobics step with one riser. Hop w/good leg until form gets sloppy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bono View Post
    Hops(R) 20,17,24--New exercise. Use aerobics step with one riser. Hop w/good leg until form gets sloppy.
    Maybe I'm just paranoid, but these sound like a bad idea to me. If you lose your balance while hopping onto the good leg, your bad leg will have to awkwardly catch you which might further injure it.

Kudos for doing the ICNDTFP program though. Tenacious.

Quote Originally Posted by jgh View Post
    Maybe I'm just paranoid, but these sound like a bad idea to me. If you lose your balance while hopping onto the good leg, your bad leg will have to awkwardly catch you which might further injure it.

Kudos for doing the ICNDTFP program though. Tenacious.
    I'm not totally foolish about that. When I do the hops, I have the step against the bottom of a staircase, and grab the guardrail for balance. And that's why I pay attention to form. The first step that gets sloppy, I'm done.
    Last edited by John Bono; 07-12-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Did the final pre-ICNDTFP workout yesterday:

Leg Press(R) 210X4,2,0-- I didn't eat yesterday(had bloodwork done right beforehand), and I think I paid the price a bit here.
    Leg Extension 295X11,9,9 -- Yeah, I dropped the weight 10 lbs since the last time. Not intentionally, though, forgot to set the little dial thing that determines the weight
    Pushups -- BW+35X2--tried using a vest today, not sure I like it. Mildly foobared the adductor in my good leg, which I felt doing the pushup. Decided to pussy out rather than risk injuring the leg that's going to be doing most of the work for the rest of the summer
    Lat Pulldown 195X5X3--coming along, we'll see what happens when I can get back to the gym.

This is probably going to be the last workout for at least a week. I'm staying off crutches to give my elbows more time to recover. Next week, and possibly for the next couple of weeks thereafter, I'm going to puss out for a bit. Lots of body-weight stuff, more stretching less weightlifting, and much less stress on good leg.

Surgery yesterday.

My left foot is completely numb from the nerve block. I could lop off a toe and not feel it.

Yesterday's workout:
    Peeing without assistance 5 reps.
    Buttfirst stairclimb 12 steps.
    Percoset swallow 2X2.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well, four days post surgery. The nerve block has worn off, and while I'm glad I can feel my leg again, I wish it didn't hurt so goddamn much. I'd love to be able to do some sort of activity, but so far, it looks like I can choose between being in a crapload of pain, or being seriously drugged out, so I don't think I'll be doing much for maybe another week(maybe less, but I doubt it). Going the HTFU route is not on the menu for the time being. Right now I'm on two heavy duty painkillers, and I need to take both to avoid being in serious agony. On the upside, I've discovered that I've become a big fan of Steppenwolf:

starting strength coach development program
    A big day today. The cast came off today, and I'm back in the boot. I'm still on crutches, and the stitches have to stay in another two weeks, but I'm allowed to put some weight on the leg(when booted). Hurts like a mofo when I do it though. Today I also started the initial stages of physical therapy. Basically that means my daily workout will be to lightly extend and flex the ankle and toes, and do circles with the foot both clockwise and counter-clockwise, but not trying to do a hard stretch. Also I think I'll start doing weighted pushups again. That's for tomorrow, though, not today. Not feeling all that hot today.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast