starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Still novice, trying the 40 day workout

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I think so! One trainer suggested I diet down to 165 (I'm 6'1", 202 lb, I wear a 32" jean, wtf), and another suggested "balance work" so yeah, I think the ViPR is for me. That, or mindless slow jogging on a treadmill while watching The Bachelor.

In SERIOUS badass news, though: There is a guy in my gym who does really, really awesome BW / gymnastics stuff - like, walk down stairs on his hands, etc. Every time I see him I'm in awe. Turns out he was a Flipping POWER RANGER!! How bad ass is that?

http://youtu.be/IxC96dUxSDk
    If you ask one of the trainers, they'll tell you he got that way from doing ViPR...

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I think so! One trainer suggested I diet down to 165 (I'm 6'1", 202 lb, I wear a 32" jean, wtf), and another suggested "balance work" so yeah, I think the ViPR is for me. That, or mindless slow jogging on a treadmill while watching The Bachelor.

In SERIOUS badass news, though: There is a guy in my gym who does really, really awesome BW / gymnastics stuff - like, walk down stairs on his hands, etc. Every time I see him I'm in awe. Turns out he was a Flipping POWER RANGER!! How bad ass is that?

http://youtu.be/IxC96dUxSDk
    Was he the Red Ranger, or the Green Ranger?

I'll be sure to ask, if you think he won't kick my ass for asking.

I just finished a 16 oz (455.3 grams, international mofos) ribeye, 1/2 an acorn squash slathered in butter, and big old green salad, washing it down with some Spanish wine. I do NOT get why people diss paleo dieting on here. What better food could I eat?

What the fuck is wrong with my body? I definitely have a strained abdominal now!! Shit. Better than appendicitis or diverticulitis, which was the main likely alternative. I first felt a twinge playing racquetball last week, then really really felt it after the cleans on Thursday. Today better than yesterday, but once again I'll have to curtail the hard training for the time being. Three steps forward two steps back the whole way.

So, my daily WOD for the moment is: morning extra strength ibu, afternoon same, evening ibu+dipenhydramine. Lots of laying down, lots of sitting up straight.

Ab is recovering nicely (crap that muscle got used a lot without my knowing!) , but I got a dr's appointment for a hernia eval tomorrow. No workouts for a week just to be sure - the thought of doing a pushup right now makes my gut hurt, much less a deathlift.

Dr. recommends no lifting for one week or more to safely heal the ab, What I'll probably do is a light pushing day next week and then see how it goes - no deads or cleans for probably two weeks. Who knew - abs have a function other than babe attraction! Maybe bis do, too! (note to the humorless / lobotomized on the board: that was not serious). I actually feel ok day to day, but the mere thought of doing a power clean makes my gut hurt.

Oops, just erased my own post. Weird. Anyhow, I feel better, had a light workout today to test the old abs and get back into it. Feels good but I may need another light-ish day before I go for it full bore.

Just been cruising around the forum. I hereby make a solemn vow not to post anywhere but my journal, and not to "read" any more posts, until a certain troll (rhymes with "spamhurled05") leaves the joint. Forum is pretty unusable as is.

I ignore E 'n P most of the time. I do lurk a little and sometimes read the first couple of comments of a thread and promptly 'backspace'. Young bored guys and all that. I'm too old to give a shit anymore. :-)

starting strength coach development program
    Got it. I'm in the habit of just clicking on "new posts" and ignoring the location, but no more of any of that anymore.

Today: COMING BACK from 1) a four day drinking binge (friend in town) 2) a strained ab (not too serious but definitely needed a dr visit and such) 3) a mild cold-like thing (sore throat etc). First full workout in about 2 weeks (since the strained ab).
    I decided to hit the A workout of my new 4 day push/pull split. So, "Volume Pushing" as it were: squat 190 5x5, press 100 5x5 (except I missed the last two reps last set), and for accessory, on a wild whim, I tried my first proper farmer's walk. I thought I'd do an easy one - 2 85 lb dumbells for about 30 paces each way. Did two "sets" - wanted to do 3 but it wasn't gonna happen.
    Holy shitehouse. THAT is a full body workout! I have a bunch of questions about it now, I want to work it in as a deadlift accessory for sure.
    Notes: Squats were way harder than they should have been but I attribute that to the layoff and the drinking in particular. Press, same.
    Questions on the farmer's walk:
    For a given distance, say 25 yards each way, what % of your deadlift would be typical, average, etc to walk? I'm thinking about 2/3 of your 5rm, I dunno. It doesn't really matter, I know, just increase the weight every time.
    In a well-equipped gym, are dumbells probably the best thing to carry? I think we go up to 110 dbs.
    Do you breathe? It was obvious that valsalva-ing was the thing to do, but I couldn't make it without extra O2.
    HOLY crap that worked my grip and tris in particular. Sometimes you do stuff and you think, I dunno what that's really doing. Not this time. Dang.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast