starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BW One handed barbell snatch

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    How are you dealing with the balance issue? I can't even do farmer's walks with barbells without the damn things falling over.

Im actually doing the farmers walks with a kettlebell. The only walking with the barbell is the thirty feet to my apartment stairs and up the stairs with 70 lbs its not too bad but Im guessing once it gets heavier Im going to have to take the weight off before I go inside. As to the snatches it's pretty easy so far I just make sure my grip is centered.

Two mile jog and 15 45lb KB swings as a warmup.

I think I may have misunderstood your question about the balance. I personally have found doing the one handed snatch easier balance wise than trying to do farmers walks with the barbell. I say this as you are really trying to throw the bar upward in a straight line but when you are walking there is a little swaying going on as you move just my thinking on it.

down to 161 today. I really cant wait to get back to 154. I have been thinking about doing another run at SS and just do the one handed snatches on the same day but on a different session most likely previous to the the A-B routine as I dont think I want to be throwing stuff over my head while overly fatigued. I miss milk. I think I may be developing programming A.D.D., Ill sleep on it and make a choice by the end of saturdays training session.
    Last edited by Rusty9; 08-26-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: bw update

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty9 View Post
    I think I may have misunderstood your question about the balance. I personally have found doing the one handed snatch easier balance wise than trying to do farmers walks with the barbell. I say this as you are really trying to throw the bar upward in a straight line but when you are walking there is a little swaying going on as you move just my thinking on it.
    Ahh, interesting. Yeah, that's the question I was asking. That makes sense!

yeah buddy. today was good. I feel like I am learning something new each day about where I need to be at each part of the pull and its just making the pulls easy. still have to say Im happy the session is over as they are pretty intense for me. one thing I think i should note I have been missing a rep here and there but if I do I just throw another rep in right after to make sure they are actually sets of three. The misses are more of form issues than strength issues. If I had to put numbers on it I would say Im hitting 11 out of 12 on average.

One handed snatches:
    70x3x6 each hand.

farmers walks:
    55x60ftx5 each side
    15 seconds between changing hands. I would guess around 1 minute between each walk on a given side.\

KB swings:
    45x30x1 these are getting much less exhuasting I think I may up the reps to 40 next time.

Ive decided against the previous idea about cycling through a ss program again. I like what Im doing and I feel like Im pushing myself hard enough Im getting something out of it but not so hard I cant maintain my pace.

2 mile jog with the dogs in evening about 10 hours after training session.
    Last edited by Rusty9; 08-29-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: went for jog in evening

Got a hair up my ass and wanted to see where my deadlift was as I haven't actually dealifted heavy (for me) for about 1.5 months. I occassionaly do some very light deadlifts, 95lbs nothing really at all, just as a warmup for cleans and snatches. I was able to work my way up to 300x3 tonight. (PR for reps) which I thought was pretty cool especially after losing 15 pounds over that month and a half. I guess doing stuff even very much lighter than my maximum works for me as long as Im trying to do it as fast as possible. Interesting.

45x5x1 turkish get ups each side.

Back to the program tommorow
    Last edited by Rusty9; 08-29-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: back to the program not other stuff.

One handed snatches:
    72.5x3x5

This was it for this training session the clouds were getting pretty thick and we have been having lightning storms. Didn't seem like a good idea to stay outside throwing a metal bar in the air.

Practiced juggling with one hand for 20 minutes yesterday and today. I figure this is a way to develop timing, rythm, and hand eye coordination without effecting my recovery. 20 minutes light shadow boxing (pace was about 15sec. on 45sec. off)done earlier today.

my warmup was long enough that I will add that to my log today.

cleans up to 125 did this for 4 sets of triples.
    snatches up to 125 did 2 doubles
    clean followed by three front squats @125 x 2
    press @125x2 ( I think I am going to incorporate these into a A/B type workout with the one handed snatches being a lift I do on both days)

one handed snatches:
    75x3x6
    95x1x1 on right hand, I just couldn't shrug hard enough on the left side to get the bar high enough to get under it. or maybe Im just being scared and not going under the bar fast enough.
    Oh well thats progress. when I started it was 85 at the same level of difficulty maybe higher just because I did these after everything else this time. 11 percent progress in 10 days. not bad. Too bad that wont keep up long.
    I've decided I will do a 2 on 1 off schedule. I am going to have an a/b/c routine so I dont get bored and I get some variety but also maintain enough consistency that I can make some gains for a while and track it easily.

Workout A:
    One handed snatches 3x6 each side
    Farmers walks 60ftx5 each side
    KB swings 30-40x1

Workout B:
    One handed snatches 3x6
    press 8x3
    front squats 5x3

Workout C:
    One handed snatches 3x6
    Cleans 3x5
    single arm bent over row 8x3

Im going to shoot for 2.5 gain each time for the press, one handed snatches, farmers walks, and single arm bent over row
    Shooting for 5 pound gain each time for clean and front squats starting at 125.

As an additional note- the amounts for the cleans and the front squats will for the most part be the same because I dont have a rack or squat stands. Ive been thinking about at least getting some stands to use, I may go down to the place around the corner that sells piping and see how much money ill save by making them myself. I guess if i amke them myslef I can make them so I can stack the weights on the bottoms so they can support more weight up top. Not really sure if it will be worth it with the time and equipment cost.
    Last edited by Rusty9; 09-02-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Workout A

one handed snatch:
    77.5 x 3 x 6

Farmers walks:
    57.5x60ftx5

KB swings:
    50x30x1

This has been getting easier so far each workout.

starting strength coach development program
    Workout B
    Did the presses about 5 hours before the snatches and the front squats.

Presses:
    90x8,8,7

one handed snatch
    80x3x6

Front squats
    150x5x3

Im going to make the planned jump to the next weight on the press. I think I could have made them if I hadn't spent 4 hours at a water park yesterday or gave my self a little longer between the sets.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast