starting strength gym
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: KessG training log (novice female)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    May 3 Strengthlifting Meet Report

Weighed in at 130.4 lb.

My best lifts (singles) leading up to the meet were:
    • Squat: 178 lb
    • Press: 77 lb
    • DL: 205 lb

I got 8/9 with the following attempts (meet PR numbers are from a year ago):

Squat
    • 165 lb
    • 180 lb -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxFT...brAl6j7jCDvA3u
    • 187.5 lb (+9.5 lb gym PR /+17.5 lb meet PR) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Q2...brAl6j7jCDvA3u

The ‘recording desk’ was telling me that 180 looked way easy, and encouraged me to go higher than my originally planned 185. Got 187.5 quite easily, so probably had more in me. But was feeling kind of anxious and had some shoulder pain, so was not sure how I’d perform.

Press
    • 72.5 lb
    • 77.5 (+.5 lb gym PR / 5 lb meet PR) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDTC...brAl6j7jCDvA3u
    • 80 – miss

Shoulder was hurting in the rack position, and 77.5 looked a bit slow, so I was not surprised that I missed 80. I’ll get it next time!

Deadlift:
    • 200 lb
    • 210 lb -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9JL...CDvA3u&index=2
    • 217.5 lb (+12.5 lb gym PR / 22.5 meet PR) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akyk...CDvA3u&index=1

180 felt heavy during warmups, but both 210 and 217.5 looked equally easy and fast. If anything, 217.5 looked better than 210.

Some notes and observations

(1) I need to learn to be more aggressive with my attempts on lower body lifts, especially the deadlift. But since I just recently fixed my DL form and have not really done singles except for one time two weeks ago, I was not sure how I’d handle heavier weights. I may need to do more DL singles leading up to a meet. I don’t like to grind and fail lifts, or trade attainable PRs for bigger ones, so I tend to go conservative with my attempts. Or perhaps I just have a good back injury avoidance strategy :-) .

(2) I’ll float the idea of a mock meet by Tom instead of a class at a half way point to the next strengthlifting meet on Oct 25. I think it would be fun to prep for and I would have really liked a fourth attempt on the squat and DL to see where I end up.

(3) I should have got a bigger breakfast with more fats and salt - something that sticks better to the ribs, like salted nuts or potato chips. By the time we were due to start warming up for the press, I was getting hungry, despite snacking on fruit and drinking coconut water. I ate right after the press and felt a lot better.

(4) It was a very efficient meet – we were done by 3.30 pm. Consequently, it felt that the time between attempts was quite short. I did not time the attempts – I’ll keep that in mind for the next meet; it would be interesting to know the rest we were getting between attempts.

Overall, it was a fun and a well-run meet, and I got new PRs! But the hard work will be sticking with my program, my macros and dealing with my shoulder. I’m already signed up for Tom's class this coming Sunday, so I hope to stay on track.
    Last edited by kessg; 05-03-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Congrats on the PRs! Those deadlifts looked really fast, and the squats and press were nice too. Did you stay on deficit calories for meet day?! I hope you gave yourself a few more...

I am curious, though, did you have to wait for a command to rack the squat in this meet? you stepped forward so quickly after finishing the squat...

Congrats, Ksenia! Always great to see you.

Viola, the Stengthlifting meets are run with no commands for the lifter (outside of "platform's ready"), so the responsibility simply lies with the lifter to the execute and demonstrate control.

Nice lifting today Ksenia!

Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    Congrats, Ksenia! Always great to see you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn Brookes View Post
    Nice lifting today Ksenia!
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Can't wait to see you do even better next time. Always nice to meet you.

Thanks, guys! I'm hoping I'll still be lifting in time for the October meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    Congrats on the PRs! Those deadlifts looked really fast, and the squats and press were nice too. Did you stay on deficit calories for meet day?!
    Hell no - no deficit macros on meet day!

Nutrition wise, I stayed on my standard macros (~1550 cals avg) for the week except for Saturday, when I went low fat / low carb /very low sodium to drop some water weight (~1250 cal).

Meet day was 2250 cals, but it averaged to just about a bit higher than my regular macros over Sat/Sun, because Sunday has always been my high carb day.

Congrats on all your PRs!

Congratulations on your PRs, kess!

Quote Originally Posted by randomnav View Post
    Congrats on all your PRs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    Congratulations on your PRs, kess!
    Thank you both!

Training log for the week ending May 10

This has been a recovery / deload / lazy post-meet week. I did not do much, but still have something to show for it, which is nice. And I’m still lifting – need to keep an eye on this, since it was soon after last year’s meet that I stopped strength training.

In any case, still got some new PRs! PRs were DL (single and a set of 5) and squat (set of 4).

I’ve de-loaded my squats and restarted at 160 lb on my heavy day. I had a clever idea of doing one set of 4, so that I would get a ‘rep PR’ and would not feel like I’m just revisiting old ground. I was not sure how it would go, as I’ve not squatted at all during the week. The 1st set was fairly easy, so I did 4X4 on my heavy day for a rep/set PR.

This was also an all-time ‘volume PR’ since I’ve never done 16 heavy reps in one training session. I’ll progress with sets of 4 until I can’t anymore and then switch to triples.

I reset my DL as well, but was aiming for a set of 5 for a rep PR (my previous rep PR for 5 was 186 lb). That was heavy-ish but doable, which was no surprise as I previously did 4 reps @ 195. During the week, since I could not press I decided to do some singles (having felt that I left some weight on the bar during the meet). Got 222.5 lb as my top set; 225 lb would not budge.

My right shoulder continues to give me trouble. The pain migrated from the front of the shoulder to the mid-shoulder. I could not overhead press without pain; incline bench press was also a no-go. The pain was worst if I attempted a ‘dislocate’ – bringing my arm up and back. I really mashed up my shoulder with a self-massager last night, and it seemed to help somewhat. I was able to rotate my arm, but with a terribly loud clicking sound. This morning it’s a bit sore. I’ll try pressing later today and will see.

Benching was fine, although I lost some upper body strength – either due to injury, or because of the long break/lack of volume. Both hypertrophy (sets of 8) and heavy (sets of 5) have suffered. Two weeks ago I was benching 85 for 8 and 103 for 5 (and those 5s were after I had already pressed in the same workout). This past week I only did 83 for 8 and 98.5 for 5. We’ll see – I’ll probably be doing a lot more benching, so I hope to bring up the bench strength back soon.

Did a few pullups here and there, in sets of 3 and 2 - probably around 15 total. Only 1 HIIT session this past week, on Tue.

As an interesting aside, 3 people from my strength class are signed up to do a June 27 USAPL meet in Sacramento. Two of them did the Strenthlifting meet, and the other one was judging. They were saying “you should do it!” – and I was saying “no way I’m doing another meet that soon after this recent one.” I’m resetting my lifts, I took a deload week, I’m dealing with an injury – it’s already a lot of disruption. It must be the age – the two women who did both the May 3 meet and plan to do the June 27 one are both in their late twenties. Oh the high spiritedness of youth. Le sigh…

Here’s what I did

Wed:

Thursday
    • Bench 5X8 @ 83
    • Halo 5X10x2 @ 25
    • Bench 3X12@ 63
    • Halo 1X15x2 @ 25

Sunday

(Had terrible DOMS on Monday and still am as of Tue!)
    Last edited by kessg; 05-12-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kessg View Post
    As an interesting aside, 3 people from my strength class are signed up to do a June 27 USAPL meet in Sacramento. Two of them did the Strenthlifting meet, and the other one was judging. They were saying “you should do it!” – and I was saying “no way I’m doing another meet that soon after this recent one.” I’m resetting my lifts, I took a deload week, I’m dealing with an injury – it’s already a lot of disruption. It must be the age – the two women who did both the May 3 meet and plan to do the June 27 one are both in their late twenties. Oh the high spiritedness of youth. Le sigh…
    Who's going from the class? I'm going to that meet as well. It'll be nice to know some other folks there!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn Brookes View Post
    Who's going from the class? I'm going to that meet as well. It'll be nice to know some other folks there!
    The folks going are Kelly M, Laila and Dan. It's cool that you guys will be lifting together.

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast