starting strength gym
Page 40 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: scteacher's general log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post

LBBS 190x5x2, 195x5x1 I had intended to do all three sets at 195 and thought I was doing that until right before my final set. All of the sudden I saw a lone 5# plate on the ground...Ack! Surely there was no way I just did those two sets with a plate missing on ONE SIDE? Yep.

I'm going to consider that imbalance to be the source of my awkward first set. I thought it was just because it was low bar.

Low bar is feeling a bit better, but I definitely feel it more in my upper back and some new types of leg soreness have been setting in. My grip on the first set is really, really wide, and I did bring it in for the last two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRqtWkv4BkA
    Wow. Great squatting!

Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    I'm no expert, but those looked great to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Squats look awesome!
    :-) Thanks, Coach!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Wow. Great squatting!
    Thanks all! I am more sore than I've been in a long time from HBBSs.

The first few reps of each set feel great and then it's like, bam! I want to get this bar off my back!! I'm sure I'll adjust.

Leah, those squats are beautiful. Kudo's to you on the switch and performing them properly. I've had moments where I've mixed HBBS with LBBS techniques because I wasn't focused enough, and the results are horrific to witness. As in, "WTF was THAT lift supposed to be?" LOL.

I'm watching you. If you with gimpy shoulder can do LBBS, perhaps it's time for me to suck it up and try them again. My gimpy should is a year older than yours, after all!

Quote Originally Posted by SquatQueen View Post
    Leah, those squats are beautiful. Kudo's to you on the switch and performing them properly. I've had moments where I've mixed HBBS with LBBS techniques because I wasn't focused enough, and the results are horrific to witness. As in, "WTF was THAT lift supposed to be?" LOL.

I'm watching you. If you with gimpy shoulder can do LBBS, perhaps it's time for me to suck it up and try them again. My gimpy should is a year older than yours, after all!
    Thanks, Miriam!! I had some help to learn them, and I really know I benefitted from that. I will say that this last session took me a long time. I warmed up pretty slowly, with plenty of extra reps, and it takes me time to think through everything that is different about the grip, bar, stance, drive, etc. I was at the gym for 3 hours!!! It's going to have to get faster.

I too am curious to see how this goes as the weight goes up. It's a little tough to get out of the rack position when I am done, but right now it just seems like a repeat of my move from the SSB to HBBS.

I did get some pretty heavy-duty sports massage, intense tissue work done in the last couple of weeks, and that definitely helped my shoulder flexibility.

9/9/13

Bench Day

Bench, first reps paused 97x3x4, 110x1 Excited about this one because 110 was my projected competition value for this cycle. I went all crazy and did 110 instead of the planned 107. :-)

Close Grip Bench 97x3x3

GPP x3
    Ring Rows
    DB Snatch 25#
    DB Press 15#
    Push ups

Conditioning x13
    Air dyne 15 sec/1:15 easy
    10 min cool down (in really quick Leah Minutes)

In less exciting news, my singlet arrived. Oy! Yeah...I'm super excited about that.

Congratulations on the bench. Isn't it great when it all comes together?

Thanks, Maria. It is great! It's one of the things that makes all of this really fun and rewarding.

9/10/13

LBBS night 200x5x3

2 ct. Deadlifts 165x3x3

So my squats started out so well on each set, but by rep 4-5 I was just trying to get them done ASAP and get that bar racked again. It boggles my mind that anyone can keep the bar in the low bar position for 20 reps! But after busting out each set, I am then faced with having to re-rack the bar. Ugh! It feels just like when I started squatting with a real bar again earlier in the year. I thought I was done with this pain, but I guess not, and I'll work through it. The re-racking pain will fade away...I hope.

GPP x3
    GHR
    Lunges
    KBS 44#
    Sit ups

Conditioning x13
    Row sprints

Why is racking at low bar hurting? Maybe setting your bar hooks a notch lower or higher would help?

Grats on the 110 bench! :-)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    Why is racking at low bar hurting? Maybe setting your bar hooks a notch lower or higher would help?
    The whole grip is still pretty tough, actually. I know that I really, really need to keep improving my flexibility. I can be in that position for a short time, but then it hurts. I think that it is just putting my shoulders in a tough stretch for the 5 reps, and then moving my arms to get out from under the bar hurts. The exact same things happened when I first went back to high bar though, so I am thinking that I'll be able to get through it. I've had lots and lots of periods of pain trying to get all of my ROM and mobility back after RC surgery. But the alternative is not lifting or even worse, ROM that I never get back, so I'm committed to working on.

(Even if I did kind of beg for a different rep scheme yesterday... :-)

I did actually realize that I need to lower the hooks last night since the bar is so much lower than it used to be. Duh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Grats on the 110 bench! :-)
    Thanks! I've never been a great bencher, or really a bencher, so I'm pretty happy with it.