starting strength gym
Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer training and Iron induced Musings

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Some timely tips there. I have a tendency to lean forward too much as well.
    But you have some impressive numbers for your dead lift. So you must be doing something right.

3-21-16 Morning workout.
    Bench 115x5, 165x5, 190 x5, 190x4 - something did not feel right on rep 4 so I replaced the weight rather than do something I would regret, since I did not have a spotter. 190x5, this time with a spotter. the weight felt manageable.
    Dead lift 140x5, 230x5, 290x5. Called it a work out and went to the office.

3/23/16 Morning workout
    Squats 140x5, 190x5, 240x5x3. Squats were fine. They seemed easier as the work out progressed.
    OHP 110x5, 130x5, 150x5, 155x4,150x4. Presses were hard. I think I had enough time between sets. I also had a more gradual increment in warm up sets. I need to find a way to bring my baseline to three set of 5 at 155.

3/25/16 Morning workout
    Bench 120x5, 170x5, 190x5, 190x5 with spot, 195x4 with spot.
    Dead lift 140x5, 230x5, 300x5.

I see you are doing the 4 basic lifts with no assistance lifts, do you find it helping get the weights up? I think I should get my act together and do something like this. Maybe take a little more time between workouts.I keep adding curls, rows,pull downs and tricep pressdowns into my workouts with nothing to show for it. I have been trying to cut some weight so I have been walking more and watching carbs. I just want to at least maintain where I am with my lifts. At 66 it doesn't get any easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I see you are doing the 4 basic lifts with no assistance lifts, do you find it helping get the weights up? I think I should get my act together and do something like this. Maybe take a little more time between workouts.I keep adding curls, rows,pull downs and tricep pressdowns into my workouts with nothing to show for it. I have been trying to cut some weight so I have been walking more and watching carbs. I just want to at least maintain where I am with my lifts. At 66 it doesn't get any easier.
    Jerry, I need to keep my workouts short because I do them before going to work. I am also recovering from a back problem and a long semi layoff due to a busy work schedule. I found the most efficient use of my time is to focus on the core lifts. For time limitations, I limit myself to two lifts per work out and I try to limit the number of warm up reps. I try to be in and out of the gym in an hour, including time to change. During this recovery mode, all lifts are max effort with no recovery type weights. I am trying to get three sets of Squats, OH Press and Bench Press with one heavy set for the dead lift. This could be considered a typical, geezer modified, starting strength program. As I hit failures to complete three sets of 5's, I try the same weight next time. When I think I have pushed the weight to the limit of the SS style lift I will try to get some sort of Texas Method or use one of the Geezers models in the Practical Programming book. I am hitting the limit of the SS recovery for the bench press and possibly the OH Press. The squat the dead lift have a month or two to go.

I learned two things about plans for geezers, 1- take little bites, i.e. steps of 5 pounds no matter how easy a set felt. 2- allow time for recovery. I try for 3 sets as mentioned above. To do this when I hit my limits, I plan to make more use of back off sets. I find the bench and the OH Press provide enough arm work, except for the biceps. I plan to do more chins to address the biceps. I can do chins at home anytime. The other assistance exercises you list don't seem to add anything to improving the basic lifts. Besides, I don't have the time right now for assistance exercises while I am at the gym.

Right now I am 64 and about 230, so chins are a challenge but not impossible. I hope this explanation helps you adjust your work out plans. Good luck.

3-28-16 morning workout
    Squats 135x5, 195x5, 245x5x3
    OH Press 105x5, 130x5, 155 x5x2, 145x5 as a back-off set. I did the back off set for two reasons - I needed to finish quickly so i did not wait too long between reps to recover and I wanted to make sure I did 5 reps. the 155 weight has been tough. next time I will ether try 3 sets at 155 or one set at 160 with the others as a back-off set.

3-30-16 Morning work out
    bench 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 195x5, x4 then 190 x5 as a back-off set. The second set at 195 was with out a spot. I might have done a fifth rep but I did not fell confident trying it so I stopped at 4 reps.
    Dead Lift 135x5, 225x5, 300x5. My back was stiff yesterday so I did not push the weight beyond the last work out.

Thanks for the reply. I will be trying the minimum exercise approach to lifting myself . I am going to use the progression I read on page 234 in the book. Seeing other guys my age lifting keeps me motivated.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Seeing other guys my age lifting keeps me motivated.
    I agree. I find showing up at the gym gets you half done. Keeping a log is also beneficial. I am grateful to Ripp and company for this forum.

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast