starting strength gym
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer training and Iron induced Musings

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Was at the gym Feb 21. I had a busy week. I did not get much sleep. I was suprised how bad this session was. Squats were only 300 for sets of 5M. Benches were good at 180 for 3X5. Deadlifts were easy at 330. I was surprised at the number of people wanting to use the squat rack. Most seemed to be on a crossfit routine as their lifts were poorly executed. I felt guilty not saying anything but they seemed to think they were doing ok. I also did not want to be that crazy know it all people dislike. If they are happy, I am pleased. I am trying to get more sleep. I will push harder next time.
    Last edited by pkelly54; 02-24-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: writing from a phone with fat fingers

March 3 - Not at gym for ten days. Squats 300 for 3 sets of 5 went somewhat easy. Presses 145 3X5 and Power Cleans 145 5 sets of 3. Work interfered with workouts and sleep. I wonder what is the correct approach to selecting a weight after a short layoff. I have not been on a program, even my geezer modified LP program, for a month. I think the answer is the titration approach Mark had suggested for the initial phase of LP. I will use these numbers and proceed from here.

The additional sleep makes a difference. I wonder if doing squats every workout is overdoing it. At the same time, it does not feel like a legitimate workout if I don't do squats.

Reading some of the blogs, I am inclined to try a power lifting meet. I am debating if the entry fee of $100 is worth it, just to stoke my ego. It would be like little league, just show up and you can get a trophy. I am tracking my progress and my goal is to maintain my dose of barbell medicine rather than a trinket from a local meet. I am just wondering.

Work interference with sleep and lifting happens to me now and again too. Sucks. I haven't had to miss 10 days from it so far but if I did, I'd probably back off 10 maybe 20 lbs. and run it up again over the course of couple of weeks. But then I'm not doing LP these days and my workout looks a lot different than yours.

You have a point about the just showing up part for a PL meet. But as Gordon Santee has said, "At my age the competition is all injured or dead." Then there's the oft repeated saw, "80% of success is just showing up." Besides, you can use the trophy or medal to intimidate any dates any female offspring or their own offspring might bring by to meet the family patriarch. That'll brace the young primate's ass in place. I had my jujitsu belts, judo photos and trophies from college, and shooting trophies arrayed in the living room when our daughter got to dating age. A PL medal would round things out rather nicely in my advancing years.

Mark, thanks for the laugh. My daughter is married to a great guy. So I have no worries there. My boys are spoken for. So I guess it will be for the grand kids as proof their Granddad's stories are not all BS.

Absolutely for the grandkids.

Meine Grosvater Werner, was in a dueling fraternity when he was still enrolled at the University of Göttingen. He dropped out to fight for Der Kaiser about halfway through the Great War. But I have his stories of the 7 duels he fought in, 6 of which he won. The last of which gave him Central Casting scars on his face when he lost it. I have his schlager and somehow along the line his drinking mug with the 6 flags and one cross cut into the pewter rim has vanished. I suspect one of my dirtbag cousins snagged it. But it certainly backstopped his stories.

But now you can video your triumphs for all time.

March 10, Did not get to the gym last week, work sucked up most to time, although I did some light lifting with an old set I have at home. Today, Squats 310 3x5 were difficult, Bench 185 3X5 went good will add 5 pounds next time, dead lift 340 1X5 went good when I focused on form. I had a slight pull in the right side on the fourth rep. I think I may need to shift to a TM routine for the squats, but I need more regular and frequent time to get to the gym. There was a fellow ahead of me on the squat rack, who looked like he knew what he was doing, until his weight got heavy. I showed him some squat form basics. He thanked me for the info. I also told him of the starting strength website and the BOOK. I hope he follows through.
    Last edited by pkelly54; 03-14-2013 at 05:11 AM. Reason: spelling

March 13, back right side and knee bothering me so I went lighter on the squats did 300 3X5, felt good but the knee was acting up later in the work out. I was going to go up 10 on the last set but people were waiting for the squat rack so I stayed at 300 with a shorter rest. Next I plan to go start at 310 and add weight each set. Presses were cleans from the floor since I did not have a rack. They went well 150 3X5. Power Cleans went well, 150 5X3, and curls 3X^ with 80. Arthritis was worse than normal this past week.

March 24, I has been 11 days since last workout. Business and travel are making it difficult to plan consistent work-outs. I needed to go Sunday because it will be another week before I get back to the gym. Stayed the same as last time squats 300 3X5, Bench 185 3X5, deadlifts 340 1X5. The long span between work out allowed by back to heal. I focused on form and the dead lifts were good. I went to a local weightlifting tournament Sunday afternoon. I ended up helping as a loader on the platform. There were about 50 lifters. Many of the lifters were impressive. Some were very impressive. I had heard the expression that Olympic lifting is like playing golf with 300 pounds. Siting close to the platform as a loader made it obvious. Strong men and women would miss a lift by a fraction of an inch or be slightly off in timing. They would come back and most made the next attempt. It was a thing of beauty.

I was surprised as to some of the cues the coaches had. Having studied the deadlift section in the BOOK, I thought I had a bit of understanding about moving weight from the floor. One coach was providing cues that included "shoulders behind the bar". To my understanding that is incorrect. However, when someone is snatching 300 pounds I am in no position to question. I also found that being a loader for six hours can make one tired.

April 7, I had not been able to get to the gym for two weeks, so I planned a recovery session to see what I lost. Squats 290, 295 and 300 5 rep sets, Press from the floor, 140,145 and 150 5 rep sets, power cleans 150 4X3 and 150 1X3. Power cleans were good but I can't seem to rack the bar very well. The left rotator is still affected by last year’s shoulder injury. I read Brian Broke Legs testimonial, Inspiring. I have no reason to complain about any aches and pains.

I took 200 mg Vitamin I about one-half hour before the workout. It seemed to help reduce any joint swelling that I usually get after the workout. The next day the knee feels good.
    Last edited by pkelly54; 04-08-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: additional info

starting strength coach development program
    April 15, doing maintenance until I can get to the gym more regularly. Squat 280X5, 290X5, 300X5. I did progression to test the knee. The knee turned out to be fine.Bench with a spot, 190 X5, X4, 180 X4. spotter was helpful with the weight increase. Dead lifts not so good, 350 X2, X1, 340 X2. I try to do 5 reps of the deadlifts regardless of how many sets it takes. I probably should drop the weight to 320 or 330 to make sure form is perfected. Strict barbell curls 80x7,x7,x6. Knee gave me a little trouble after the dead lifts but felt OK the next day.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast