starting strength gym
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Geezer training and Iron induced Musings

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for the note Cheesepuff. I agree that sleep is critical in training and improving lifts. Or at our age, not decreasing the lifts so fast. I will look into the app. With respect to the volume question. I am torn between sets of 3 or 5. I read on the Starting Strength site, but I can't recall where, the overhead press needs volume. So if I switch form attempts of 3 sets of five to sets of 3 reps, I am not sure if I need to do five sets of 3 reps.

Except for the bench, most of the time I feel I can be aggressive and still do sets of 5. During the bench I sometimes get a weakness in my left shoulder, so I am more cautious. I plan to look into switching to sets of 3 or 4 to see if that approach helps.

Thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for being gracious.

Here is Rip's "Radio" podcast: What Happens when a Lifter gets Older.

At 51:50 he mentions a hypothetical where he might recommend to a specific 63 yo male going to 3's, and perhaps even 1 workout a week.

But merging other articles, you are right about keeping more volume on the press and bench. I can't find the source for that as easily. I would trust your judgement here (certainly over mine).

FWIW, the sleeping better and going to 3's helped me. The sleep ap does not seem to be a "high percentage" solution, but it works for me.
    I suspect going to 3's especially on the Squat and Dead will have a more reliable effect. I'm still at two sessions per week.

When I was still doing 5's I felt over trained. I wasn't recovered enough for the second session, which I often skipped. Unfortunately, two changes at once does not tell you as much about the difference each one makes.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344