starting strength gym
Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer training and Iron induced Musings

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Feb 17, Back for a two week trip. I needed this workout to get things moving again. Squat 275 X5, 280 for 2 sets of 5. I am pleased with the knee injections, see the Elderly forum for those that may be interested, but if overused the knees will ache. The recent snows gave me plenty of shoveling work. Bench 175 X5, 180 X 5, and 185 X 5. Benches felt strong. Dead lift, not so good. The back is almost normal. I dead lifted 320 X 4 then lost my grip on the fifth rep. The gym does not have chalk so I need to find a good work around. Excelsior.

really got some strong lifts especially considering the layoffs - keep throwing around the iron - the fountain of youth.

old guy, thanks for the complement. I agree, the fountain of youth requires the iron to be moved. Regards.

March 1, the last two weeks were busy with long work weeks and less sleep than I need. Finally had a short break to get to the gym. Squats, 280x2x5 and 285 x5. A young fellow was waiting on the squat rack so I invited him to work in with me. My selfish reason is it gives me time to recover without hogging the rack. This guy was new to squats and had a number of common errors I was able to help him with. Doing this reminded me of the details of the basic squat moves so it helped us both. He used light weight and we focused on getting form the form correct. I also told him about the book and the Starting Strength website, so he can learn the lifts properly. OH Press, I felt a twinge in the left shoulder before the press, so I was mindful, and cautious , in the lifts. Press 150X5, 155X5 and 155X4. I stalled slightly above my forehead on the fifth rep of the last set. Cleans 120X5X3. I need to focus on form on racking the weight. I was interesting that I felt pleasantly fatigued for the rest of the day. I need to get back to two days a week at the gym.

March 4, somewhat off day at the gym. Squats were off. 280 X5, 285 X4, X3, X4. Bench185 X5, 190X5X2.The benches felt good. Dead lift 320X5. I used the thinner bar, a york45 pound olympic bar rather than the no name 50 pound bar. The lifts felt better. I also was careful with the reset after each rep. I was sharing the squat rack with a young fellow, he was a bit of a novice and I was glad to help him a little bit on his form. He was lifting less weight than I was, but he seemed to have to provide an excuse for what he felt was light weight. He was lifting pretty good in my opinion. I noticed the excuses don't help one lift more weight. The iron does not lie, as was said many times. So I think I know why my squats were off, and I need to correct that detail. No excuses.

March 11, Squats 285x5x2, 290 x5 all felt good. Knees felt good after a short warm-up. Cleans 135x3x5. Power cleans went well. I need to concentrate on the second pull. I need to unlearn pulling with the shoulders and arms and rely more on the leg drive and jump. Press 155x3x4 and 155x1. OH Presses, not as good as I would have liked. I did the cleans before the press because the rack was busy. This tired me out too much. I could not do sets of five. I had to settle for sets of three. The last set I failed after one rep. I am going to switch the press and the bench in the workouts. Workout A will be squat –press- dead lift. Workout B will be squat- bench- power clean. I will see if that is any better. However, the next day my knees felt great. I do think squats, done correctly, repairs knees.

March 15, Squats 280X5,290X5,295X5 Squats felt good but I needed to focus on depth. the left knee was a little stiff most of the day. Bench 195X4,backed off a little,190X5 X2. Dead lift was weak 330x3, and X2.

April 3, Away from gym due to work commitments. I finally got back today. Squats 285X5, 290X5 and 295X4. The forth reps was difficult near the top so I decided to stop at 4 reps. The knees felt good and the range of motion was good. I might have been going a bit too deep on sets 2 and 3. O H Presses from rack 150X5X3. There was some pinching in the upper traps during the last set. Dead lift was a disappointment. 330X3, X2. I tried a narrow belt for the deadlifts, I did not like the belt. Bench 185X5X2. I lost some due to the long lapse and the lack of sleep. Trying to adjust and workout more. I am looking at ways to improve my dead lift pull. The trouble is at the bottom. I cant 'break the weight from the floor after three reps. I seem to be stuck around330.

April 9, warm up was strange. I usually do 10 to15 minutes on the elliptical. This time it was difficult. I had to drop back to a load setting of 12 from 15. Squats 285X5, 290X5, 295X2, X3. Bench 185X5X2, and 190 X4. The fellow spotting me grabbed the baron the fifth rep of the last set. Power clean 135X3X3, 140 X3X2. Babysitting the grandkids next week so gym time is probably not going to exist.

starting strength coach development program
    Nice work there. Funny how work and life and being a grandpa can get in the way of lifting. Have fun with the little 'uns!

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast