Press: 125x8
    CGBP: 190lbs 5x3
    PU: 9p-10c-6p-7c

12 minutes, 30on/30off
    Push ups
    Ring rows
    KB snatch (40lbs)

Notes:
    Nice. I am going to like this. Should have gotten more on the backoff set. Practicing leg drive on the CGBP, still not feeling intuitive... circuits were fine, hit muscular exhaustion hilariously quickly on the ring rows.

09/04/2013

Competition Deadlift
    Supplemental Squat

DL: up to 415lbs x1
    DL: 385lbs x6
    DL: 355lbs x7
    Front squat: 275lbs 3x3

Notes:
    Deadlifts were slow and grindy. Wasn't thrilled with the reps, but I suppose I hit the expected 6RM. Looking forward to doing better on these next time. Front squat was snappy, good leg drive, was able to keep the torso pretty upright. Moving up next time.

Had planned to do sled drags in the evening. Didn't happen - some family stuff came up and the evening just got away from me.

Horrible sleep for the second or third straight night. It's been a problem recently. Last night (I'm recording this session a day late) was solid - in bed for nearly 10 hours total, and about 8 before the kids started waking us up at 6AM.

09/06/2013

Competition Bench
    Supplemental Press

AM:
    Bench: up to 225lbs x1
    Bench: 205lbs x6
    Bench: 185lbs x10
    Push press: 185lbs 3x3

Notes:
    AM session was fine, if a bit draggy. Still having trouble getting moving quickly in the AM. Bench was solid - 205x6 is near PR territory, as is 185x10. Wound up
    not being able to do the circuit, since my wife and I decided to swap kid-driving duties for the day.

09/07/2013

Competition Squat

Squat: up to 385lbs x1
    Squat: 355lbs x5
    Squat: 315lbs x6

Notes:
    This one was probably predictable. I should have knocked this out last night instead of tonight.

Lower back is not feeling good. Really felt pumped and achy running around teaching my daughter to ride her bike, and it felt weak as soon as I broke my hips on the descent on every rep. On the 355 set I just divebombed every rep and kept more upright, which helped, but limited how much I could do since I wasn't getting my hips into it. Cut it short after the set at 315 - no sense in doing RDLs in that state.

9/9/2013

APRE 6
    Competition Press
    Supplemental Bench

Press: 115-135-155(94%)
    Press: 145lbs x6
    Press: 125lbs x6
    CGBP: 195lbs 5x3

Notes:
    Press was fine, but not moving up here. CGBP was great - very snappy and fast, add weight next time.

9/10 - 9/13

Totally let this beach trip sneak up on me. Hadn't factored it in to the training schedule at all.

It was fun, I spent a lot of time fighting waves, bodysurfing, and digging in the sand with my kiddos. Also ate a lot of spectacular food, and drank some good beers and wine with excellent friends, and family - including my brother and SIL who have been overseas for the last year.

Fantastic few days, and I am absolutely chomping at the bit to train.

Got adjusted by the chiro on Tuesday, lower back felt immediately better. 4 days of sufficient caloric intake, very little sitting, and lots of getting twisted and squashed by big waves was incredibly therapeutic. I felt awesome under the bar tonight. Just focused on form, tightness, and getting a good session in. Didn't try to break records or anything.

9/14/2013

APRE 6
    Competition Squat
    Supplemental Pull

Squat: up to 385lbs x1
    Squat: 315lbs x10
    RDL: 315lbs 3x6

Notes:
    This was a bit abbreviated, but it was kind of a feel-it-out session. Squat felt great - 315x10 was easy peasy, just didn't push harder because it didn't seem smart. Completely forgot the backoff set, but whatever. RDL went up to 315, stopped after 3 sets because the right hammy was seizing up a little. Plenty of room to go up in weight all over here.

Low back felt EXCELLENT. Did a good bit of stretching, and was just on my feet a lot more than usual over vacation.

Hey man, sorry to interrupt your thread here, but I wanted to ask what your bodyweight is at now. Are you tracking it? Might want to log it as well.
    Other than that, thanks for posting, I might steal an idea or two from your log.

No prob on interrupting - always fun to interact.

Bodyweight is 203 today. I was up around 205-206 before my backpacking trip, which whittled me down to 195. Weight came back pretty fast.

I've been intentionally keeping carbs higher and it has really worked well especially in conjunction with the programming blocks that are higher in accessory work.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks.
    Yeah, carbs are the way to go, especially when you're doing heavy compound-lifts in the 5-10 rep range. Fastest way to build muscle, from what I've seen.

One more question: how long are your sessions? I'm guessing about an hour.

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast