starting strength gym
Page 52 of 78 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Beastmaster103 - back to basics

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    05/04/16 - Acclimation Week (I don't have a good name for it!?!) - Bench Press, Wednesday;

BP - Bar X 5; 95 X 5; 145 X 4; 185 X 3; 225 X 5 X 3;
    Light Press - 145 X 8 X 3;
    DB BP - 80 lb DB's - 10,8,7;
    LTE's - 85 X 13; 95 X 8, 7;

Comments - Due to the long layoff since the SS challenge, I am going to incorporate a light week of 5's, at approximately 85% of my last cycle's workset weight (during the week of 5's). I've decreased the weight across the board on supplementary exercises as well. This was based upon a recommendation from Andy. Upon completion of this week, I'll move back into the fifth cycle of my "regularly scheduled programming."

Workout was not too tough - RPE of maybe 7 for everything combined. Left shoulder, elbow, and forearm area has been tight & sore for quite a while. I've been doing my best to loosen things up on that side of my body, but there continues to be some general discomfort. It is most noticeable on some bench work. It has not affected the press, DL, or squat. Anyways, I'm excited to get over this week and move back into Rep PR territory.

Welcome back! How was your trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cifani View Post
    Welcome back! How was your trip?
    Trip was great...St. Pete Beach is beautiful, and my girls really enjoyed it. How did you do over the weekend - I haven't even had a chance to check up on your log...

Acclimation Week

Saturday - BS - 05/07/16;

BS - Bar X 5 X 2; 135 X 5; 190 X 4; 240 X 3; Added Belt - 290 X 5 X 3;
    SLDL - 195 X 8 X 3;
    Chinups - BW - 6,7,6,6 - total of 25;
    Lying Leg Raises - 15 lb DB - 15 X 3;

Comments - everything was pretty easy overall. It was nice to get back in the lighter swing of things. Left shoulder and elbow/forearm are still sore - I continuously massage and stretch to help alleviate any pain I encounter during workouts.

Sunday - Press - 05/08/16;

Press - Bar X 5; 95 X 5; 135 X 4; added belt - 165 x 5 X 3;
    Light Bench - 190 X 8 X 3;
    Weighted Dips - 30 lbs X 9, 20 lbs X 8; 10 lbs X 9;
    Lateral DB Raises - 20 lb DB's X 15,15,12 (also worked in light seated, reverse db raises for my rear delts - it definitely hit a painful area on my left side;

Comments - Press was an absolute breeze. Bench was easy as well. Dips felt good as I worked through each set. I added those reverse raises to hit a major sore spot (literally) with my left side. It was light, but got the job done.

Tuesday - DL - 05/10/16;

DL - 135 X 5; 225 X 4; 275 X 3; (added belt) 325 X 5; 300 X 5 X 2;
    Light BS - 235 X 8 X 3 - used belt, no knee sleeves;
    Pullups - 6,6,4 - 14 total;
    DB Bicep Curl - 40's X 8/8 X 2; 45's X 5/5; 35's X 6/6;

15 minutes - LISS - treadmill - speed 3-3.4, incline - 4-8%;

Comments - left arm was not feeling so hot during pullups. I was trying to get out of the gym quickly, since I was out of town (and wanted to see the Pens game). DL's were different, only due to the first time use of a belt. I'm not really sure how to place the belt properly. As I would get into position, it would kinda pinch my gut, which sucked. Once I started the reps, I ignored that discomfort and just worked through the sets. I'm going to have to look into the right/wrong ways to wear the belt.

What size belt is it? Because I found switching from a 4" to a 3" made all the difference in the world when setting up for the deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    What size belt is it? Because I found switching from a 4" to a 3" made all the difference in the world when setting up for the deadlift.
    It was a 4". I have a 2.5" and will try it next time. That may be why...it will likely require some trial and error before I get comfortable.

Maybe try a high belt position? I don't know much about it and have not used it, but I've seen a few insanely good deadlifters use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    Maybe try a high belt position? I don't know much about it and have not used it, but I've seen a few insanely good deadlifters use it.
    I may try that as well. I appreciate the suggestion and have seen some of the elite (and all time greats) use that position exclusively. I'm going to have to experiment a bit during lighter/warmup sets. I have a smaller belt that I bought from Best to alleviate the potential issue I'm encountering. I'll try and see and let you know. By the way, great work on your workouts - you've got some impressive volume going on.

Cycle 5 - Week 1

Bench Press - Friday, May 13, 2016;

BP - Bar X 5; 105 X 5; 150 X 4; 195 X 3; 240 X 8 X 3 - Rep PR;
    Light Press - with Spud Soft Belt - 162.5 X 8 X 3;
    DB Bench Press - 87.5 DB's (175 lbs) - 8,8,6;
    LTE's - 105 X 12,8,6;

Comments - Bench got stronger as I worked through the work sets. My elbow and shoulder were a bit bothersome, but other than those issues, bench feels really strong. I was extremely happy with it. Press was a bit tough, but I didn't rest very long between sets (3.5 - 4 minutes), so I know when press day comes around I'll hit the higher weight for 8's. I was starting to feel some fatigue during DB bench, and this is the highest I've attempted in my garage. I'm confident I'll hit no less than three sets of 8 by week three. Frankly, I'll be pissed if I don't go for three sets of 10. LTE's was where my triceps just about had enough. Also, as I got more tired during each sets, I could feel my left side start to ache a bit more (rear delt). Overall, I'm very happy with the first day back on the real routine.

Cycle 5 - Week 1

Squat - Saturday, May 14, 2016;

Squat - Bar X 5 X 2; 135 X 5; 195 X 4; 250 X 3; 300 X 8 X 3 - Rep PR;
    SLDL - 210 X 8 X 3;
    Chinups - BW - 7,7,7,6 - total of 27;

Comments - Back was sore prior to starting warmup for squats. I powered through the entire workout and am quite sore as I type this about 24 hours later. I am happy about the rep PR - I had some doubts as I started the workset weights. I would rate the squat worksets at an RPE of 8.75, 9.25, and 9.5, respectively. I worked out in the morning - it is my least favorite time of the day to lift. I am sure I did not have enough to eat prior as well. SLDL's were equally taxing as my back was screaming by this point. Of course, I didn't stop, and just powered through it. I was about ready to call it a day, then thought better of it. I worked though four sets of chins and just stopped after that point. The workout was tough...but it is the type of adversity where you can learn a bit about yourself. Part of me wanting to quit/give up, but I just went through the workout as it kicked my ass.

Unrelated to the lifts, but a bit of a revelation in itself, was how I was able to pinpoint my left shoulder pain a bit more when I was adding weight to the bar. I lifted up a 25 lb plate with my left hand for the squat (so the bar was about shoulder height or so) and felt a hellacious (sp?) pain in my left shoulder. So, I am thoroughly convinced that I've tweaked my rear deltoid on my left side and/or tendons connecting my delts/upper back area. I've since emailed Andy to see if I can switch some of the supplementary work to add an exercise to hit that spot (directly or indirectly).

Is anyone signing up or planning for the Fall SS Challenge? It has crossed my mind, but I'm still on the fence about it...

Sunday - I may perform about 30 minutes of LISS on the treadmill, but I haven't decided as of now.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll be doing the fall challenge for sure. Ive started doing some press work so hoping to make some progress in that area rather than doing what most would consider a light warmup on my third attempt lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 52 of 78 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast