starting strength gym
Page 60 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Beastmaster103 - back to basics

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Good luck. The sickness thing is a tough call. I've set PRs with colds, and I've failed warm ups with colds. I think it mostly depends on my sleep.
    Whelp, just went to Med Express this morning and I have a sinus infection. I'm weary of lifting right now because of the added pressure in my sinuses and neck. Also, I am due to press 227.5...I mean, attempt 227.5 for three sets of two. I'm a bit concerned about going gung ho with the workout if my head is pounding. Idk, if I lift today, it will be a 8 day layoff. Pretty soon, I'll need to add a deload or warmup day or two of exercises to get back in the groove. Dammit. Why can't I get a Barry White type voice when I feel great??

I'm thinking I will do some LISS today. I don't want to overdo things especially if my balance could be off for press. I really hate missing workouts due to being ill...it sucks and I'd rather be at work right now. Missing my 2nd day of work...prob will go at it on Friday or Saturday with lifting. Light cardio today and/or tomorrow...

09.29.2016 - Cycle 8, Week 3 - Press - Thursday;

Press - Bar X 5 X 2; 95 X 5; 145 X 3; 190 X 1; 227.5 X 2,1,2;
    Light BP - 240 X 8,8,7;
    BW Dips - 8,7;

Comments - I decided to give a workout a try last night as I was feeling much better than the days prior. It was 8 days since I last was in my basement, and I was worried about losing a bit of strength, as well as general fatigue creeping into my body. I am really pissed about missing a rep in the press workset...I don't know if I didn't rest enough, had the bar on the wrong vertical path, or what, but I could only get a single rep. I'm so close to getting 227.5 and it is really frustrating. Bench felt much better than normal...tricep fatigue probably prevented the last rep on the third set. Dips felt good...and I decided to stop at that point. I feel good this morning and will do a bit of LISS today before going for the deadlift workout this weekend. It is great to be back...I hate being sick...

10.02.2016 - Cycle 8, Week 3 - DL - Sunday;

DL - 135 X 5; 225 X 4; 295 X 3; added belt; 365 X 1; 450 X 2 - Rep PR; 410 X 2 X 2;
    Light Squat - 292.5 X 8 X 3;
    Pullups - BW - 8,7,6,6;
    EZ Curl Bar Bicep Curls - 95 X 10 X 2;

Comments - It didn't matter in the end, but I realized I had too low of weight jumps for my DL warmup sets. I should have been at 375 for the final warmup set, but was 10 lbs lighter. Oh well...I still got the Rep PR. Squats weren't too bad - the sets of 8 are always tough from an endurance standpoint. Pullups were okay. Bicep curl created minor discomfort on my left elbow/forearm area. Overall it was a good workout...I'm ready to start cycle 9.

10.07.16 - Cycle 9, Week 1 BP; Friday;

BP - Bar X 5 X 2; 105 X 5; 165 X 4; 215 X 2; 260 X 8,8,7;
    Light Press - 175 X 6 X 3 - ugh;
    DB BP - 85's - 9/9, 5/5; 80's - 6/6;
    LTE's - 95 X 12, 10;

HIIT on treadmill (without power) - 12 minutes - 1 minute on, 1 minute off X 6

Comments - I am not very happy with this one. I did not have my shake and I think it showed. Everything felt entirely too heavy after the bench press. I blame my lack of reps on a missing my supplements...but it could have been because of any number of reasons: poor sleep, nutrition, etc. This was really disappointing. It may serve as a great lesson that I should never miss taking creatine the day of a workout?!? I'm not 100% sold on that, but it is what I immediately started to think when I was shorting reps.

I tried the suggestion (I'm sure many others received it from Andy Baker) on an alternative to the prowler for those with small workout spaces. The treadmill work was intense, but not so much so that I couldn't recover. I really liked it and will keep implementing this during non-lower body days.

We have a new dog and he is a handful. Taking care of him (and the kids) has really put a dent into my workout schedule...
    Last edited by beastmaster103; 10-11-2016 at 06:40 AM.

I had a brief email discussion with Andy Baker and I might start adding some BW type exercises to help with my upper body. I have Blast Straps and have not used them nearly enough, so I will likely be adding a few sets of work (depending upon how I feel).

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster103 View Post
    10.07.16 - Cycle 9, Week 1 BP; Friday;

BP - Bar X 5 X 2; 105 X 5; 165 X 4; 215 X 2; 260 X 8,8,7;
    Light Press - 175 X 6 X 3 - ugh;
    DB BP - 85's - 9/9, 5/5; 80's - 6/6;
    LTE's - 95 X 12, 10;

HIIT on treadmill (without power) - 12 minutes - 1 minute on, 1 minute off X 6

Comments - I am not very happy with this one. I did not have my shake and I think it showed. Everything felt entirely too heavy after the bench press. I blame my lack of reps on a missing my supplements...but it could have been because of any number of reasons: poor sleep, nutrition, etc. This was really disappointing. It may serve as a great lesson that I should never miss taking creatine the day of a workout?!? I'm not 100% sold on that, but it is what I immediately started to think when I was shorting reps.

I tried the suggestion (I'm sure many others received it from Andy Baker) on an alternative to the prowler for those with small workout spaces. The treadmill work was intense, but not so much so that I couldn't recover. I really liked it and will keep implementing this during non-lower body days.

We have a new dog and he is a handful. Taking care of him (and the kids) has really put a dent into my workout schedule...
    I wouldn't sweat the missed rep on bench. I missed the last rep of 277.5 and just went to 280 and hit my 3x8. For me, when I get gassed, I'm done, and 8s can do that to me. I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't surprise me that everything felt like poo after running out of gas on bench. Maybe a little more carbs and creatine prior to your next 8 day will take care of it.

Regarding the treadmill work, can you describe how you do it? I actually have a treadmill we NEVER use, and I've thought that maybe it could be used as a prowler alternative, but then I thought I was crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerqb12 View Post
    I wouldn't sweat the missed rep on bench. I missed the last rep of 277.5 and just went to 280 and hit my 3x8. For me, when I get gassed, I'm done, and 8s can do that to me. I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't surprise me that everything felt like poo after running out of gas on bench. Maybe a little more carbs and creatine prior to your next 8 day will take care of it.

Regarding the treadmill work, can you describe how you do it? I actually have a treadmill we NEVER use, and I've thought that maybe it could be used as a prowler alternative, but then I thought I was crazy...
    I thought it was crazy as well. Here is a copy of what Andy Baker sent me (I'm on his emailing list - I believe it is free)...

.....until now. But with a twist.

Except for one, all my treadmills are now UNPLUGGED. Power off, no motor.

The Motorless Treadmill Walk is becoming my new favorite. Instead, the client is the motor. He or she has to keep the belt going with their own effort.

And it's much harder than you might think. I don't need them to run. I simply have them lean into the front handrail and PUSH hard, like they were trying to drive a Prowler Sled.

After 30-60 seconds the legs are burning and the heart is pumping - HARD.

Right now, my favorite protocol is simply 1 minute on, 1 minute off for 10-15 minutes. After a hard strength workout this has been plenty of work to leave my clients SMOKED, but not beat up.

So if the potential boredom of walking on the treadmill for a long drawn out session makes you recoil, then unplug your treadmill. Shut the power off. Hop on and try some 60 second intervals and see what you think.

So far so good here at the gym. My clients love it and it's kicking their ass - in a good way. No soreness, no impact, no 100 degree heat, but a helluva workout.
    Hope that makes sense as it was from Andy. My first try was 12 minutes total. It is really simple, but I can tell that the damn timer moves really slow while you are on the treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I might be a little more receptive to my wife's treadmill purchase suggestion after that article. I doubt I will ever get her to cut the gym membership strings, but if having one makes her happy, and my use keeps the dust off, it might be nice on rainy/icy days
    It was definitely a pain in the ass, but I thought it was worthwhile. I think one drawback is not being able to really measure progress...I guess that may involve moving a bit faster as one progresses, but I think any HIIT is worthwhile if it doesn't impact the GAINZZZZZZZZZ.

I saw that treadmill suggestion, too. I'm curious how my gym would like it. I've been meaning to try it when the gym is empty.

And I doubt missing one day of creatine is going to affect performance.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    I saw that treadmill suggestion, too. I'm curious how my gym would like it. I've been meaning to try it when the gym is empty.

And I doubt missing one day of creatine is going to affect performance.
    You're probably right about the creatine, but I'd like to think it was a magic supplement that would provide an additional 2+ reps/set on all my workouts. I'm not ready to come back to reality, so please stop ruining my beautiful dream...

Page 60 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast