starting strength gym
Page 11 of 78 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Beastmaster103 - back to basics

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Nice work dude. Getting close!

Thanks, man.

10/25/13 - BS Day - Last Day prior to deload week -

Warmup - 15 minutes of light walking on treadmill; Defranco's Limber 11 (I forgot one exercise, so I guess it was only the limber 10);

BS Warmup - 145 X 5; 195 X 3; 245 X 2; 295 X 1 (w/belt)

Workset - 345 X 1 - PR! - I took a video of this single. It felt a lot harder than it looked...which is weird. Legs are still a bit sore from the workout last night and my mobility is getting better, but isn't where it needs to be. Hopefully the front squats will help me out. I may need to incorporate some RDL's as well, but that is for a different day.

Backoff Set - 242.5 X 4,4,4,5; - these felt like grinders, but - again - the video on the last set didn't look nearly as bad. I was tired on the last set, so I think I may not have gotten to full depth on one rep, but the other four (and especially the fifth rep) was plenty deep.

Front Squats - 100 X 3 X 8; These weren't bad. My quads are pretty sore today, especially the tendons around the knees. I tried to rest about a minute or less between sets.

Good Mornings - 110 X 10 X 3 - these weren't too bad, either.

I was going to do a set of abs and neck raises, but I was spent from the workout.

PL Total is now - 1040; this will stay they same for the next week until the deload is finished. I'm getting closer...

Nice work beast! 2 months to add 60 lbs should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji View Post
    Nice work beast! 2 months to add 60 lbs should be no problem.
    Thanks! I'm cautiously optimistic that be at/around 1100. I hope to be at 1115 or so. I think all three lifts have been progressing quite nicely. I will feel more "relevant" if I can get the elusive 300 bench. My arms are long, so this has long been a struggle for me. The T-rex arms would really help push the bench, but I was not born with them (it would hurt the DL, though).

haha...Ive got long arms too and have been contemplating widening my grip out a bit. That would instantly add 10-15 lbs I think. I dont have shoulder issues with a wider grip but chose to work on close grip for 2 reasons. 1 - I thought it would be more badass to have a big close grip BP, 2-My arms are smallish compared to my pec development and I thought closer grip would make my triceps grow.
    Im getting over #1 and #2 hasn't worked at all.

Im jealous of your press though. We are close on bench but your press is way better. That just sucks.

haha...Ive got long arms too and have been contemplating widening my grip out a bit. That would instantly add 10-15 lbs I think. I dont have shoulder issues with a wider grip but chose to work on close grip for 2 reasons. 1 - I thought it would be more badass to have a big close grip BP, 2-My arms are smallish compared to my pec development and I thought closer grip would make my triceps grow.
    Im getting over #1 and #2 hasn't worked at all.

Im jealous of your press though. We are close on bench but your press is way better. That just sucks.
    Thanks...I'm proud of my press and pissed that it is not a common event in an PL competitions. I built my shoulders when I worked for a party rental company when I was 20 during the entire summer. I would lift multiple wooden tables above my head (to lockout) and walk/load them into the box trucks. We'd have orders of 500 chairs and 100 tables regularly, 6 and 7 days a week. It worked the shit out of my shoulders and I believe it is why my press has always been above average. It was a manual labor job that actually paid off.

I only tried CGBP a little bit. I know it is less stress on your shoulders, but my grip on the bench is relatively close anyways. I think dips and heavy LTE's will grow your triceps. I would keep the LTE's in low rep sets (6 or less), with a higher weight (I'm sure you can handle 105-135, or more). The dips have really pushed my bench upwards. I think heavy DB rows help as a complimentary exercise as well - I try to do at least 1-2 very heavy sets with straps (I'm at a 140 DB right now). I'm going to try to get the slingshot to help tighten my form and push my bench even higher.

Your DL and Squat numbers are impressive, especially since your 30 lbs lighter than me. The last video of your squat that I watched pissed me off b/c it seemed like a piece of cake. It was for a PR, and you looked like you could have done a set of five - easily - instead of a single.

Dips are cake for me. I did a set of 5 with 100 lbs. dips are awesome for triceps for everyone but me it seems. They blow up my chest like nothing else though.
    I can handle 120 on LTEs but they are murder on my elbows. I might try a LP with it starting light to see if my elbows can adapt. When I tried them I went heavy right away. My press suffered and my elbows were screamin. Maybe a smarter approach would work.

140 DBs!?! That's sick.
    Straps are for pussies though. Hehe. I'm only working 95s for 20 reppers. In the spring I got 100s for 20 but will pass that in a few weeks. No straps!

What is your volume on the rows? I'm just going for 2x20 with a weight before adding 5 lbs. I did 5 x 15 db rows this summer. I think higher volume for upper back is good.
    Last edited by Eiji; 10-25-2013 at 04:55 PM.

10/27/13 - Deload, Press

Warmup - 30 minutes - treadmill

Press warmup - 45 X 5; 85 X 4; 125 X 3; 165 X 1

Workset - 185 X 2;

BP Backoff Sets - 105 X 5; 165 X 4; 220 X 4,4,4,5;

DB Row - One Handed - 65 X 5/5; 140 X 5/5; 105 X 12/12;
    BB Bicep Curl - 85 X 4; 140 X 2; 115 X 6; 105 X 7;
    DB Hammer Curl - 40 X 6/6 X 2; Negatives X 2/2;
    Weighted Crunches - 125 X 12 X 3;
    DB Neck Raises - 35 X 25 X 4;

I really needed this workout after the layoff...I will be hitting the deload again tomorrow...and maybe Tuesday.

starting strength coach development program
    Dips are cake for me. I did a set of 5 with 100 lbs. dips are awesome for triceps for everyone but me it seems. They blow up my chest like nothing else though.
    I can handle 120 on LTEs but they are murder on my elbows. I might try a LP with it starting light to see if my elbows can adapt. When I tried them I went heavy right away. My press suffered and my elbows were screamin. Maybe a smarter approach would work.

140 DBs!?! That's sick.
    Straps are for pussies though. Hehe. I'm only working 95s for 20 reppers. In the spring I got 100s for 20 but will pass that in a few weeks. No straps!

What is your volume on the rows? I'm just going for 2x20 with a weight before adding 5 lbs. I did 5 x 15 db rows this summer. I think higher volume for upper back is good.
    I think straps are for pussies, too. I was up to 120 or 125 before I started using straps. I also use them for shrugs, but I'm nearly at 400 lbs for 3 sets of 12. It is almost impossible to hold the bar with a DOH or hook grip for those three sets. I don't want my grip to limit either of those.

I am trying not to overdo the volume on the rows. I will hit 140 for a set of 5, then do a set of 105 for AMRAP, which I hit for 12 tonight. I may drop down on the weight to allow a volume increase. I don't want it to affect my DL...but it hasn't yet.

Dips are a bit tougher for me, but I do them absolutely last on a bench day, prior to LTE's. I got a 6' EZ curl bar (it also can sit in the power rack) for LTE's, which doesn't strain the elbows nearly as much as my barbell.

Page 11 of 78 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast