starting strength gym
Page 14 of 78 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Beastmaster103 - back to basics

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster103 View Post
    I guess I'm easily persuaded.

If things go well this week, I'll hit 1100 - 440 DL, 365 BS, 295 BP.
    One week of a deload, then two more weeks of gains, hoping to get up to 1150-1160. It will be taxing, that's for sure. I can't believe that am almost halfway to five wheels on the DL and four wheels on the BS. This isn't earth shattering for most, but I didn't think it was attainable.

My hip flexors aren't feeling as sore since I started doing the limber 11 (thanks again, btw)...but I have some major DOMS throughout. I'm okay with DOMS over hip flexor piercing pain every day of the week.

Are you concerned that these continued gains will break down your body at all? I like the progression I've been making, but that is always in the back of my head...
    I think that if we chase the weight on the bar at the expense of everything else for a long period of time that is when the body breaks down. In everything else I mean flexibility, agility, conditioning, and nutrition. I don't care if I can squat 600 lbs if I can't run a mile in under 7:30. I would like to squat 500 and run a 7:00 mile. I ran a 5:43 in Jan but I was 30lbs lighter and was running. Back to the point.

There is a thread on the nutrition forum on cutting on McDoubles. WTF? Garbage in garbage out. Yes calories are calories and your body doesnt care if you got them from McDonalds or WholeFoods but eating lots of veggies and fruits along with good sources of proteins has to be better on the system for the long haul then eating fast food garbage.

Right now my waist at the navel is 36" and it needs to be 34" at the most.

As long as you can stay or get lean, keep limber and conditioned, eat healthy, get the proper rest, powerlifting should be a benefit very long term.

11/11/13 - Press

Warmup - 15 minutes on treadmill

Press Warmup - Bar X 5; 85 X 4; 135 X 3; 185 X 1

Press - 210 X 1 - PR! I'm still feeling pain in my left arm/shoulder, but I continue to work through it. It was kinda weird on this rep - I felt zero pain on the way up, but as I started the descent with the bar, there was some pain. It doesn't make sense, but I believe there may be a simple fix...if I could only pinpoint the solution...

Backoff sets, BP - 135 X 5; 185 X 3; 225 X 4 X 4;

DB Rows - 70 X 5/5, 115 X 10/10 (no straps);
    BB Bicep Curl - 105 X 5; 125 X 3; 105 X 6;
    DB Hammer Curl - 40 X 6/6 X 2;
    Conc Curl Negatives - 40 X 2/2;

So far, so good. I'm a bit concerned with my left arm/shoulder pain, but I am continuing to work through. I may need to drop weight and increase volume on my press. Not that I'm satisified with 210 - I'm not. I want to make sure I continue to increase my lifts, while not allowing some pain to impact the other big three.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji View Post
    I think that if we chase the weight on the bar at the expense of everything else for a long period of time that is when the body breaks down. In everything else I mean flexibility, agility, conditioning, and nutrition. I don't care if I can squat 600 lbs if I can't run a mile in under 7:30. I would like to squat 500 and run a 7:00 mile. I ran a 5:43 in Jan but I was 30lbs lighter and was running. Back to the point.

There is a thread on the nutrition forum on cutting on McDoubles. WTF? Garbage in garbage out. Yes calories are calories and your body doesnt care if you got them from McDonalds or WholeFoods but eating lots of veggies and fruits along with good sources of proteins has to be better on the system for the long haul then eating fast food garbage.

Right now my waist at the navel is 36" and it needs to be 34" at the most.

As long as you can stay or get lean, keep limber and conditioned, eat healthy, get the proper rest, powerlifting should be a benefit very long term.
    I used to eat dirty, but I've been trying to keep my diet a bit cleaner. I'll still eat large lunches, but my breakfast and dinners are much smaller. Also, I'll have a snack between breakfast and lunch, as well as between lunch and dinner. I am thinking about changing up my cardio to start running instead of walking on non DL/BS days. I've been on a trail mix kick for some time now...I love the stuff.

I'm not sure of my waist size, but I have 36" jeans that are loose in the waist and tight in the thighs...I'm guessing I'm about a 36" or so, but I should be able to drop 10-15 lbs and keep my midsection tighter.

11/14/13 - DL

Warmup - 135 X 5; 225 X 4; 315 X 2; 385 X 1

Workset - 440 X 0 - this just wasn't happening today. I think a number of factors played into this attempt - I had eaten too soon prior to the workout, wasn't fully rested, etc. I was able to lift the bar off the ground, but placed it back down immediately. I'm disappointed, but I know I can always try again in the future. I didn't have the right mindset last night.

Backoff Set - 325 X 4 - just did one set as I wasn't feeling right. No injuries or anything, but I wasn't going to push things.

DB Raises (obliques) - 70 X 12/12 X 2;

BB Shrugs (w/straps) - 400 X 12 X 2;

SLDL's - 175 X 10 X 3;

PL total stays the same. The weights don't lie and they have humbled me once again.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    You'll get there. Marathon.
    You're right...it's crazy how a minor item or detail can derail a PR attempt. I'll still be going for 290 or 295 tonight on bench...we'll see...

Chasing 1rm week in week out is tough. 10lb jumps work but maybe not every week. I'm surprised u missed on DL though. Otoh when I pull heavy my pull is usually weak for at least 2 weeks. It's like a forced deload and when I'm ready to pull heavy I can feel it. I just feel like I can break shit. When I'm not ready 80% feels heavy and 90% almost feels like a max attempt.
    Squat is different. I can still go heavy when I feel weak. I know I'm done when I get pinned to the safety's :-)

Good luck on the bench. Break some shit!
    Last edited by Eiji; 11-15-2013 at 05:09 PM.

11/15/13 - Bench Day

This was another disappointing day. My shoulder pain has not lessened, and I am going to have to change my programming to allow bench to progress.

BP - Warmup - 135 X 5; 175 X 4; 215 X 2; 255 X 1

BP Workset - 295 X 0 - Just wasn't happening. My left shoulder is affecting both my press and bench, which is not good.

Press Deload - 161.25 X 4; I stopped after one workset...it is not worth fighting through the pain with the potential for something more serious.

Weighted Dips - BW + 20 X 5 - this didn't feel so hot, either...

CGBP - ahhh, pain free - 135 X 8; 145 X 8; 155 X 8 - this will be added as part of my bench workout. It may become my primary exercise for a short time as I try to rehab my left shoulder.

Rotator Cuff Exercises - 10 lbs with both arms. It felt fine, no pain on any of the workouts.

I'm at a loss for the pain I'm experiencing. I don't expect a quick fix or instant solution, but I haven't been able to do a whole lot of anything that didn't affect my shoulder in some way. I'm looking into trigger points, using the lacrosse ball on the front deltoid (where I experience the pain), and also at/around my left elbow/forearm. It could be a nerve, too. I'm not sure, other than it fucking sucks and I want things to be normal.

So, I have my last heavy set of squats tomorrow. Other than that, I'll be changing things up to allow for a bit of preventive maintenance on my shoulder. I'll start with some Starr Rehab, weight to begin as the bar only. We'll see how that goes...and I'll try some deep tissue massage.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated...I ignored the pain, but it has not left. I need to do something (or maybe just rest for a week and work on some cardio?)...sonofabitch.

BeastM,
    My suggestion would be to bring your bench grip to 17-18" apart, that should be easier on shoulders and you'll be able to continue progress. I got 255 pretty easily with that. I only widened my grip because my shoulders are fine.
    Next add in specific hypertrophic rep ranges to compliment and help drive your strength adaptations. I'm going with one day of 6x2-3 x 90%, one day 3x5-6x 80%, and one day an amrap x 70-75%. Only test 1rm once per month.
    DB press for light and medium days for overhead press.

11/17/13 - Press Rehab Work - Day 1

I decided to try the Starr Rehab on my press. I can press lighter weight without any pain whatsoever, but I would rather take care of this before it becomes a bigger issue. I pushed off squats until today, 11/18, then I'll complete a week of deload, followed by switching to the Hepburn Method Programming.

Bar X 25, 15, 15 - I really felt the burn in my shoulders during the first set, so I'm going to keep the reps to 15. This didn't hurt, but felt pretty good. I added reverse flyes, holding 10 lbs in each hand, as a superset with the press.
    Rev DB Flyes - 10 X 3 X 12;

Finally, I used the 10 lb plate and did three rotator cuff exercises working internal rotation, external rotation, and lateral raises. Each was for 12 reps, alternating with both shoulders.

Since this rehab is for the shoulder, I'll only increase the weight by 5 lbs a day.

starting strength coach development program
    Hepburn Method Programming (Starting At/Around Thanksgiving)

Day 1 - BS, BP
    Day 2 - DL, PR
    Day 3 - OFF
    Day 4 - BS, BP
    Day 5 - DL, PR
    Days 6,7 - OFF

1RM's

BS - 355 (will be 365 if tonight's attempt is successful)
    BP - 285
    DL - 430
    PR - 210

Starting Weights (for the 8X2 sets)

BS - 355 X 75% (taking it conservatively) - 266.25 - I'm keeping it at 265 (regardless of tonight's results)
    BP - 285 X 75% - 213.75 - rounding down to 210
    DL - 430 X 75% - 322.5 - rounding up to 325
    PR - 210 X 75% - 157.5 - rounding down to 155

Starting Weights for the 3X6 Sets (drop the 8X2 weight by 20%)
    BS - 215
    BP - 170
    DL - 260
    PR - 125

So, after the last 4X4 deload, my workout will be as follows:

Day 1 - BS - 265 X 8 X 2; BP - 210 X 8 X 2; BS - 215 X 3 X 6; BP - 170 X 3 X 6;
    Day 2 - DL - 325 X 8 X 2; PR - 155 X 8 X 2; DL - 260 X 3 X 6; PR - 125 X 3 X 6;

I'll add a rep to each exercise after each workout until 8 sessions, then the weights will go up by 10 (BS, DL) and 5 (BP, PR) after 4 weeks. I'm going to stick with this for at least 3-4 months, with the hope of extending it 6-7 months. There will be no accessory work. I'll have minimal cardio - 15 minute walks after days 2 and 5, to ensure I hit the rep goals for each workout. I'm excited to try something new that won't tax my body nearly as much as the 4X4...I think constant PR's started to break things down.
    Last edited by beastmaster103; 11-18-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Page 14 of 78 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast