Post Cycling & Commercial Gym Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    M
    26yo
    85kg
    6’2”

Working out in a busy commercial gym can be a complete nightmare, and following a set routine is basically out of the question unless you can afford the time waiting for equipment to be free (1 flat bench, 2 squat racks, 1 deadlift platform).

I work out before work or right after work, before other commitments, which gives me a few 45-60 minute slots a week to get some work in. I’ll aim to go 3 times a week, however if life gets in the way I’ll try and get in the work in 1-2 workouts instead.

I’ve made a flexible adaptation of a beginner LP, where I’ll fit in each of the main lifts 1-2 times a week and assistance work if I have extra time on any days. Only really worrying about adding weight on the main lifts in a SS-like fashion, and just shooting for total reps on the assistance.

Main Lifts
    Squat 3x5, 1-3 times a week
    DL 1x5, 1-2 times a week
    Bench 3x5, 1-2 times a week
    Press 3x5, 1-2 times a week

Assistance
    Chins/Bodyweight Rows, 0-100 reps a week
    Dips/Push Ups, 0-100 reps a week
    Leg Raises/Ab Wheel, 0-100 reps a week

Cardio
    Cycling

Having just got a decent bike over the holidays I currently cycle 10 miles here or there for leisure on the weekends. However this will change dramatically soon as I start a new job which I’ll be commuting to and from Mon-Fri which is 11 miles (17km) each way.

I’m also going to be logging some stretching/yoga that I do, and will probably also note whatever I’m listening to while I work out since I tend to listen to podcasts or audio books and like to keep a record. Every now and then I'll record my weight too, try and make sure I'm not losing any weight.

Once this routine stops working I’ll look at moving on to something else, or to another gym. But for now, I’m hoping this can take me a little way towards my potential.
    Last edited by Gibby; 01-10-2018 at 03:30 AM.

Very light beginnings...

04 01 18
    Squat 50kg 3x5
    Press 30kg 3x5
    Chins, Dips, Knee Raises

06 01 18
    DL 60kg 3x5
    Bench 40kg 3x5
    Bodyweight Rows, Push Ups, Plank

Listened to: Wonders of the Ancient World from the StuffYouShouldKnow Podcast
    Last edited by Gibby; 01-09-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Have to train 2 consecutive days this week so doing lower/upper Tue/Wed then back to full body on Friday.

09 01 18
    Squat 55kg 3x5
    DL 65kg 1x5
    Planks

Listening to: “Balding” on the Science Vs Podcast. Apparently there’s no cure beyond hair transplant  one of my biggest motivators for getting huge is so that I can rock a bald head in the future.

10 01 18
    Bench 45kg 3x5
    Press 35kg 3x5
    Assisted Chins 50 reps

Listened to The Bee-pocalypse from Science Vs. A mixture of pesticides, bee disease and farming failures leading to the death of bees. Bad times!

Dropped a plate on my foot yesterday it fell sideways down the side of my shin then onto my 1st Metatarsal bone from a weight rack a few inches off the floor. Someone had placed it right on the end overhanging the edge of the bar and I must've shook it as I got a plate from the bar above it. Didn't hurt at all last night but it hurts like a b*stard this morning! Going to keep moving it a bit and take some ibuprofen, no swelling or bruising despite it hurting bad when I walk on it, so hopefully it'll just heal in a couple days.

EDIT: Feels a little better after walking on it, think its Extensor Tendonitis which can be caused by dropping something on the foot. Hoping it won't affect my training tomorrow as I'm hoping to do a squat or DL but if it does I'll just stick to upper body again.
    Last edited by Gibby; 01-11-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Ended up busy on Friday anyways so couldn't gym.

13 01 18
    Cycle 25 miles

How long does it take to do 25 miles?

I think around a couple of hours, not timed it I'm afraid since I'm still learning the best routes to and from places. Although I do have a speed/cadence meter which I'm going to set up on the bike once I'm doing a ride as a daily commute and have a set route planned out.

16 01 18
    Squat 60kg 3x5
    DL 70kg 1x5
    Assisted Chins
    Push Ups and Ab Wheel when I got home

Very short session yesterday had to fit this all in in about 35 minutes, and an extra 5 minutes later in the house.

starting strength coach development program
    18 01 18
    Bench 50kg 3x5
    Squat 62.5kg 3x5
    Assisted Chins, Leg/Knee Raises

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast