starting strength gym
Page 109 of 125 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1246

Thread: Quest for Fire

Default Lamb Saag

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You need two pans, one for the lamb, one for the spinach. You can sub out any meat you want for the lamb, but let's get real here: you need that fatty, lamby goodness.

In your spinach pan, melt some butter, add some minced garlic, ginger, diced onion (I've been using dried onion flakes lately, and it's great), a little curry powder if you got it. Other recommended spices include fenugreek and red pepper.

When that's nice and toasty, smother it with a bag or two of frozen spinach. If you want it to thaw quick, splash in a little water or broth - this is your moment to add some boullion, too.

When it's simmering nicely, add heavy cream, in batches. Add, stir, reduce; add stir, reduce, etc. Keep a glass of water on hand, so if it gets sticky and in danger of burning, you can toss some in.

The lamb part is simple. Coat it with salt, pepper, spices (I let it sit in the fridge for a few days, while I decided what to do with it.)

Cut the meat into bite-size chunks, render the fatty bits while the pan warms up to high heat, then fry the rest in batches, so they get all crusty.

When they're all done, add them to the spinach, warm through, and deglaze the lamb pan with something (I used brandy), and stir that liquid in.

Serve over rice or noodles or crackers or salmon skin, doesn't matter. Just get it in your belly.

Default Oyster Stew

My grandma's traditional Christmas Eve recipe. Can't believe I'm sharing it with outsiders.

Get two pints of fresh-ass oysters, with all the liquor. Yes, 'twill be spendy. That's why we wait till Christmas.

Melt a stick of butter in the pot. Add some freshly ground white pepper (it really should be white pepper, because of the different flavor profile) and the oyster liquor.

I let it bubble up, then add some heavy cream, and reduce it a bit. Grandma would not bother with this step.

Add a half-gallon of milk, and bring it up to temp, stirring often. Don't let it boil.

During the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the oysters. For the sake of the sweet baby Jesus, don't overcook them.

Adjust the pepper, add salt to taste. Serve in shallow bowls (Grandma's fine chinaware) with lots of oyster crackers. Leftovers actually keep really well in the fridge, and reheat easily.

There, you heathens happy now?

Default Bourbon Balls

While I'm betraying my family secrets to the world, why not this one, too?
    These were Grampa's favorite. Grandma always had to hide them from him.

1 box Nilla wafers, ground into powder (should make 3 cups)
    1 cup powdered sugar
    3 scant T honey
    1 cup crushed walnuts
    3 jiggers bourbon

Mix everything in a bowl, and shape into balls the approximate size of large grapes. If it's too sticky and doesn't keep it's shape, add more Nilla powder. Dust with powdered sugar, and store in an airtight container for 5-7 days before serving. Will keep virtually forever without refrigeration.

Man, I must love you guys.

Sat., 1/12. 222.8#. There was a splash of water on the floor that looked exactly like Bill Kazmaier. I accept this omen.

SQ: 45x..., 135x8, 225x4, 275x3, 315x1, 365x1, 385x1, then a walkout and hold with 425 for 8 seconds. Heavy-ish.

BP: 45x..., 135x5, 185x3, 225x1, 235x1, lockout/hold with 275 for 3 breaths.

DL: 225x5, 315x1, 365x1, 405x1.

Feeling confident about hitting all these as openers. I did my little conservative/ideal/aggressive chart, and 2/3 of the weights I chose I've hit before in this training cycle. Now, I just have to keep this going for twelve more days.

Roto chix, tater tots.

Tues., 1/15. 221.8#. lunch prep for the week: venison roast with veggies & au jus.

SQ: 45x..., 135x5, 225x5, 315x2,2,2. Have to be conscious of my fingers staying gripped around the bar.

BP: 45x..., 115x5, 165x3, 185x1, 205x1,1,1. Work that pause. Let the face get red.

DL: 225x3, 335x1,1,1. I dunno, it's a deadlift. Ah peek ahp dee wayt.

GHR: 10, 20-ish.

Trying to not do too much, and not too little. Feels weird.

Chicken & sweet potatoes in cream sauce over rice. Fried eggs for dessert.
    The Magicians Season 3 takes a couple episodes to get going, but when it does, it really goes. Some very satisfying stuff so far.

Thurs., 1/17. 221.2#. Did I mention that pre-workout BCAAs are involved? 6-7g directly in the mouth, washed down with microwaved coffee.

SQ: 45x........, 135x5, 185x3, 205x3,3,3-verry splosive. Front Sq 205x3, just so I don't bounce the weight off the platform.

Bench: 45x........, 135x4, 175x1,1,1,1,1. stupid long pause, which brings a bit of revelation - the legs ARE part of the arch after all - I can feel my upper chest connect to my shins. Just have to manage it so the butt stays on the bench.

rotator cuffs 5x20,20.

GHR: 10, 10. I'm in DDAS mode: Don't Do Anything Stupid.

wife is amazed at my 30 minute workout. I'll admit, I am, too. Not sure if I'm doing too little, too light for too long, or what. Trying to constrain myself, so I can be 'fully recovered'. I'm starting to feel a little like a bull in a china shop. Not good enough. I want to feel like a grizzly bear with a snout full of cocaine riding a bison with dynamite in his underwear. Save it for the platform, I guess.

leftover pizza, rib roast parmesan omelettes.

Sat. 1/19. 223.4#. Shoveled the driveway, then helped the neighbors with theirs.

SQ: 45x..., 135x8, 225x5, 275x3, 315x2, 365x1, 385x1.

BP: 45x..., 135x3, 155x2, 175x2, 195x2, 215x1, 235x1.

DL: 225x5, 315x1, 405x1.

some random DB shoulder stuff.

Feast Night: BBQ beef brisket sandwiches, pork belly, pork dumplings, chicken curry, cheese puffs.

Mon, 1/21.
    224.2#. Anyone catch that lunar eclipse last night? pretty awesome.
    The real PL team from my gym took 3rd at the State Meet. The gym owner gives me my own PL team t-shirt for this Saturday. No pressure intended, I'm sure. Don't Do Anything Stupid.

SQ: 45x15, 135x5, 225x3,3,3.

FSqt: 225x3.

OHP Rack postition Hold: 275. feels heavy. DDAS.

OHP: 135x5,5,5.

Bench: 45x..., 135x3, 155x1, 175x1, 195x1, 215x1.

Power Cleans: 95x3, 115x2, 135x2,2,2. feels light. DDAS.

leftovers, then meat shopping!, followed by burgers (with a salad - DDAS).

Had a dream last night that I was at the meet, didn't know what flight I was in, hadn't turned in my first attempts, didn't have my shoes or singlet on, didn't know where my bag was, etc. Exactly like those dreams where I show up to a class I didn't know I was signed up for, and it's the day of the final exam, or the theatre dreams in which I don't know what show we're doing that night. All part of the mental preparation.

My gym bag is nice and clean (despite the best attempts of the kitten to turn it into her living room fortress), and contains:

my belt - went at it good with a suede brush to fluff out the nap and remove the ground-in chalk. It's such a lovely color.

singlet - washed and hang-dried.

knee sleeves - soaked in vinegar, washed and air dried.

wrist wraps - 2 pair, vinegared, washed and air dried.

elbow sleeves - also pickled and washed - for warm ups only.

deadlift socks - black with orange/red flames. brand new.

an unopened 3-pack of tighty whiteys. Although, they changed the rules to allow boxer briefs right after I bought these. I'ma wear em anyway.

my team shirt, washed.

my trusty squat shoes, brushed and sprayed with vodka and orange essential oil.

(must remember to throw in my deadlift chuckies - I'm wearing them right now.)

block of chalk in a tupperware with my name on it.

ziploc bag of gummi bears.

quarter-roll of athletic tape.

a 12-pack of some grass-fed chocolate protein shakes wife bought. (grass-fed chocolate?)

my brand-new training log - an actual composition notebook this time.

sweatpants with my gym logo, for when I get cold. Temps are supposed to stay below zero this weekend. Should probably include a hoodie, too.

my strongman kit - straps, gloves, ace bandage wrap, toeless socks - minus the stone sleeves.

Wed., 1/23. snow shoveling again. We get nothing all winter, then 12 inches this week.

starting strength coach development program
    Thurs., 1/24. 224.6#. DDAS, you fool. You shouldn’t even be here.

SQ: 45x..., 135x3,3,3,3.
    BP: 45x..., 115x2,2,2.
    DL: 135 x 1,1,1,1,1.

Food, food, food.