starting strength gym
Page 15 of 125 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest for Fire

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yeah, Phillipi is a real jerk. ;p

Wed., 2/26. 216.25#. I can haz no cheezburger. Wife's health professional actually told her "you should eat more red meat, as rare as possible." Yes. Ooooh, hell yesss. So, it's been steak and veggies, with a side of sauerkraut. No complaints. I might try making some tiger meat (steak tartare) tonight.

Light day today.

Squats: 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 215 x 5, 250 x 5,5,5.

OHP: 45 x something, 95 x 2, 125 x 2,2,2,2,2,2.

Chins: 3,1,1,1,1.9. Well, that's something.

Kettlebell grips & halos, and then I see a big fat bar in the corner that weighs nothing. I load up 50# for Curlz x 5,5,5.

Guy comes by to take my weight set. He passes the sniff test, though I didn't get to tell him how special those old Gold's 50s are. One corner of the basement is now clean.
    Pork shoulder in the slow cooker. 'Nuff said.

Fri., 2/28. 219.25#. Whatever. I can use the third hole in my belt, so I might be recomping. I'll just keep telling myself that.

Squats: empty bar squat yoga, to open up the hips and chesticles. 95# to breathe in some Hise shrugs. warming up the presses.

OHP: 137.5 (gym has Plate Mates!) x 4,4,4,4.

Deadlift - C/P Week 2: 225 x 3, 315 x 1, 365 x 2.

Speed DL: 295 x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3. For realz. Lots of grip variations going on: I keep coming back to hook.

SLDL (95#), Rows (95#), Rev Grip Lat Pulldowns (60, 70, 80#), GM (95#) all get 3 circuits of 8 reps each, in that order.

Food, Food, Food. pork chops, rump roast, sesame chicken, tigermeat burgers, etc.

Grout is discovered to be silly, uncooperative bullshit. Looks nice, though.

Now I remember why I don't come by here much...your log never fails to make me hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahavol View Post
    Now I remember why I don't come by here much...your log never fails to make me hungry.
    Aahh, Dahavol-san, you have discovered my true purpose!

I pledge obsiquities to the blog
    of Erok who lives in the kitchen,
    and to the frying pan by which he stands.
    One training log, under Ripp
    With tiger meat and pork chops for all.

Cool

Tues., 3/04. 220#. Been drinking lots of milk, and had a large sandwich for lunch. I did the thing where you take off the top bun of one half and the bottom bun of the other half and smoosh the rest together to make what my dad calls a "Dagwood". Even after eating only half the bun, things are getting, um, messy.

Squats: 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 215 x 5, 250 x 5. man, that feels heavy. why? 280 x 5. oof. maybe I should stop there. no, I can't stop there. I want 315. I'll just do singles. Load it up, belt on tight, let Whitesnake fill your soul. 315 x 5 PR.
    Well, that almost didn't happen. The first rep was great, don't even remember the second rep. If I can do two, I can do three. Three happens. Well, if I've already done three, I'm more than halfway there. Couple big breaths, then four. Shit, I can't quit now. Into the hole! And, just, stand. back. up. Ignore the skull, it's not really going to explode - that red mist tells you it's working. legs are coming up good, now, just finish this good morning and stand the hell up. What are you doing? you can't go back down. Don't do it. Sure, grunt if you have to, nobody's listening, just stand up! There you go, now rack & lay down.
    In the still of the niiiiight! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3DJhwAhrjY

OHP: 45 x 15, 95 x 5, 125 x 2,2,2,2,2,2. easy peasy.

Chins: 2.98, 1,1,0.97, 0.95. it'll come.

Incline Bench: 45 x 15, 65 x 10, wide grip 95 x 8,8,8. still not sure if I like it.

Prowler: 180 x 2 (1 rep across the ice-cold floor 30ish feet, 1 rep coming back), 270 x 2,2,2,2.

Sledgehammer: one & two-handed swings.

Cinnamon Pork is consumed in abundance. Not my recipe, but I want it to be.

stillofthenight! stillofthenight! stilloftheniiiiight!

Hot Damn! Great day!
    Grunt! Scream! Do what ever it takes when you need that extra push. I used to be so embarrassed if I grunted, now I just throw one in for good measure.
    BTW, I saw Whitesnake in concert when I was pregnant 9 years ago. I was the size of a house but still got up and rocked out when they played that song!

Nice 3 cookies is awesome, made better still by the fact that it took everything you had in order to get it. (Food metaphor felt appropriate somehow)

Default My world, after 3 cookies per side.

Thur., 3/06. 218#. water weight, bro.

Squats: 155 x 5, 225 x 5, 255 x 5,5,5. I'm migrating from HLM to HL(L) while I slog through the C/P deadlifting program. I do not want to be sore going into Saturday.

OHP: 45 x 15, 5, 95 x 3, 115 x 3, 145 x 3,3,3. this was exciting. Just a few weeks ago, I couldn't press 140 for shit. I lockout that last rep and hold it for what must have been 30 seconds or so, just savoring the moment. Yeah.

Chins: 2, 2, 1.98. ever closer.

I discover a wrist roller station. It's on a platform, so the rope is about 7 feet long. I load it up with 10# and go to town, prone, supine, up, down, and, well, that's about it. Takes about 5 minutes until I can't feel my arms.

Finish with some DB curls, and then I think: DB presses! I creep up to 40#, 45#, 50# for three presses per side. These could be a lot of one-handed fun; clean & press, bent press, two-hands anyhow, etc. There's a collection of very heavy dumbbells here that don't see much use.

Chicken a la Sanford with roasted veggies, rice/egg/butter pudding. Sleeeeep.

Angry

starting strength coach development program
    Sun., 3/09. 220#. I have been eating all the foods.

OHP: 45 x 10, 95 x 4, 125 x 2,2,2,2,2,2. There's some squats in there, too.

Deadlift (C&O wk 3): 230 x 3, 320 x 2, 385 x 2. That second rep was uuugly, even after a quick grip reset. Low back was not as tight as it should have been, and now it is complaining. I should've belted up, but I went in feeling fed, rested, and confident. My own fault.

'speed' deadlifts: 320 x 3,3,3,3,3,3. oh, sweet cheebus. I thought my thumbs had enough calluses already. Not the case.

3 x (SLDL @95# x 8, Rows @95# x 8, rv grip lat pulldowns w/ fAT BAR @100# x 8, GM @95# x 8)

So, now my L5-S1 is tweaked from my hubris, while all the musculature around it is tired & sore from my bullheadedness. Chairs suck, but getting up from lying down is even worse.

On a lighter note: I am introduced to a artisanal version of the Cheeze-It, made locally with 5-year cheddar. Coupled with a coffee stout (also local).
    Oh, how I love Wisconsin.

Just noticed this: art-is-anal. I'll never misspell that word again.