starting strength gym
Page 16 of 125 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest for Fire

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, now my L5-S1 is tweaked from my hubris, while all the musculature around it is tired & sore from my bullheadedness. Chairs suck, but getting up from lying down is even worse.

How's the back? Hope you're doing ok

I'm doing fine - thanks for asking! Once the initial fuckedupedness calmed down, I self-diagnosed a soft tissue tear on the left side of L5, where one of the erector spinae originates. The secret I've discovered (from many previous back tweaks) is impossibly deep breathing, akin to the valsalva. The deeper the breath, the more the guts squish, and the straighter the spine gets. It's also responding very well to lots of yoga, caveman squatting, and deadlifting the cats. I even worked up to a decent bridge pose last night, and did a few deadlifts with my 80-ish pound EZ curl bar. That reminds me, I should keep my chinups going.

I'm going with the flow for the next week or so, as my schedule will not permit regular gym attendance. We're going to New Orleans for the wife's B-day! Buhttered shrimp, boooiled shrimp, friiied shrimp, lehmun shrimp, grillllled shrimp...... Shriiiimp!

But once I get back, I'm going to reassess, reset, reprogram, restrengthen. We have the technology. We can rebuild him!

Deadlifting kitties is serious business. Good to hear you're ok.
    Have a great time. Be sure to try the Ben Wah Ball! Sorry, bad joke

Ben Wah, eh? I'll try anything once.

Default Well, it's something.

Thur., 3/20. Can't get to the gym for a while, but feeling the itch. My back feels a lot better, and I need to do something. Sold my set, but still have my 35# kettlebell, chinup bar, and an EZ bar, with 70# of plates on it. I applied a roll of tape to the middle for a better one-hand grip. Let's get nutz!

Erok's Eighty-Pound EZ Bar Lift Festival:

Deadlifts x 5, Round-back DL x 5
    OHP x 5, Squats x 5, OHP x 5
    1-hand DL x 5 each hand
    Chins x 3
    1-hand hi-pulls from the floor x 5 each hand
    1 clean to 5 front squats, OHP x 5, squats x 10, OHP x 5
    rest.
    Chins x 3
    DL x 10
    OHP x 1, squat x 10, OHP x 10
    1-hand DL x 5 each
    rest.
    Chins x 3
    Rows x 10
    squat x 15
    kettlebell floor presses: 3x10 each arm. Done!

Well, New Orleans is a heckuva town. Sweet air, lush vegetation, songbirds in the courtyards & cemeteries, and even the mediocre food is excellent. Muffalettas are great, and the oysters the freshest I've ever had, but BBQ shrimp reigns supreme. (Note: it's not just shrimp with BBQ sauce. It's a whole. 'nother. level.)

Anyway; enough yoga, enough sleep. My layoff needs to end. Now.

Tues., 4/01. Gym is not at all crowded, but everyone who's there is in the squat racks or platforms. Good to see.

Weigh in: 210#. Holy shit. Was not expecting that. I've spent the last two weeks on the see-food diet. Must have been all the walking. Wonder how much of that was muscle.

Chins: 3,3,3. Yeah! I'ze soo skeenny now! Watch me fly!

Squat: 45 x ..., 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 5,5,belt on, 5. Thigh adductors: already sore.

The guy on the platform next to me is pulling 565 sumo for 2 sets of 2, after ripping open a callus on his palm. Daaaaaym.

OHP: 45 x ..., 65 x 5, 85 x 5, 105 x 5, 125 x 5. These are powerful, but sloppy. 105 x 5,5. smooth.

Deadlift: 135 x 5, 225 x 5, belt, 275 x 5. Feels sooo good. I will not get greedy.

Chins: 2.99. so close!

Observed: Two very buff guys, one the coach, one the victim, are doing a lot of arms & chest with insane reps to ultimate failure. Overheard: "Eagle wings! Eagle wings!" and "Consistent Effort!" There is a palpable aura of intensity surrounding them.

Dinner: pineapple pork roast, with sweet potato onion compote, on tortillas.
    Last edited by Erok; 04-02-2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: I haz the dumb. I cannot internet.

Thur., 4/03. Training with DOMS: How I've missed it.

213#. Previous night was spent at the re-opened neighborhood bar, eating onion rings, fried pickles, cheese curds, baloney sandwich (Usinger's: amazing!), and washing it down with whiskey & bitters on the rocks.
    Macros? Is that like a dessert? Too sweet for me, thank you.

Chins: 4,2,2,2. keep that train rolling.

Squats: 45..., 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 235 x 5,5,5. Soreness has moved from posterior adductors to anterior adductors. My left teardrop is screaming. I've developed a technique I call acu-puncher, where I use my fists to play the kick drum intro to "Hot For Teacher" on my leg muscles. Coupled with pvc or foam rolling, it really works.

OHP, because I damn well feel like it, that's why: 45..., 65 x 5, 85 x 5, 105 x 5, 125 x 5. better. 110 x 3,3.

Deadlifts: 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 295 x 5 (3 doh, 2 hook)

Chins x 2.90.

Dinner is a sensible collection of leftovers with bacon-sauteed brussels sprouts.

Mon., 4/07. 211.5#. Interesting. Sunday night was the annual Tits & Violence(Game of Thrones) party. Bison roast, goat tongue pastrami, smoked braunschweiger, crab mac & cheese, garlic mashed potatoes, and copius amounts of beer. I mean, like, five times more beer than I usually drink. Like, five beers.

Chins: 5, 3, 1.98, 2, 1.90.

Squats: 45..., 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 3, 245 x 5,5,5.

OHP: 45 x 15 (I didn't lose count!), 85 x 5, 105 x 5, 125 x 5,5, 95 x 5,5,5.

Deadlift: 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 315 x 2, quick grip reset, 3.

KB Bent Presses for the cooldown.

Pork chops with parsnips, peppers, apples, onions, ginger & garlic. Mmm.

I can't read your log without feeling hungry and deprived!
    Just got back myself...time to get back to work

Cool

starting strength coach development program
    DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh'm gonna knock you ouuuuut

lakshmi said knock you ouuuuuut