starting strength gym
Page 2 of 125 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest for Fire

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Okay, now that I've pushed this thread off the rails, it's my responsibility to get back on topic.

Monday, 7/29

Front Squat: 110 5x3 (i'm not consistent at all with sets x reps or reps x sets - in my logbook I just write 5, 5, 5.)
    rows: 115 x 5,5,5
    OHP: 100 5,5,5
    Deadlifts: 310 x 5. chalked-up hook grip RULES. it hurts so much, though.
    4 arm curls: yes, I'm still doing them. after 5 weeks, I can feel a difference when I open stuck jar lids, so i will continue. 90 x 20, 20.
    Calf raises: 120 x 20,20

Thurs, 8/01

should have trained Wed night, but life happened, and I got to eat about two pounds of porchetta, and drank 5 beers. feeling good.

Squats : 260 x 5,5,5 I notice the pitch of whatever music I'm listening to flattens slightly when I'm driving out of the hole, trying not to GM. I attribute this to the intrawhatever pressure skyrocketing - my ears are bugging out as well as my eyes. Blessed Be The Valsalva.
    Pull/Chinups: 5,5,4,4,5 supersetted between the squat warmup sets, with the last two sets after the squat worksets. Chins are definitely easier than pulls at this point.
    Bench: 160 x 3,5,2 fhuq. I'm gonna blame this on the hangover. One more try next week. Maybe a 10% deload, but I'm not gonna think about that yet. ONESIXTY, YOU MY BITCH. I VILL BREAK YOU.
    4 arms: 90 x 20, 20
    Baby Cows: 120 x 20, 25

I got the same problem, dude. I suck at Bench press. I just do. Pulls and Squats progress just fine. Presses, too. Fuckin' bench tho, will. not. cooperate. Maybe I need to try some Sabbath.

If you come across a copy of 'Past Lives', pick it up. Great double album, recorded live on the tour they did just before Sabotage came out. Ozzy sounds like he's coked up to the gills, Tommy is in great form, Geezer's bass sounds like the entire string section of an orchestra, and it sounds like the stadium or wherever they are is going to shake apart into legos.

Saturday, 8/03. One of those rare gym visits. Normally, I'm in the basement, alone, comfortable, Black Sabbath, etc. Today, the membership to Allthetime Fatness gets used. Through the door, blinders on, alll the way past the machines I never look at, to the back corner where the squat cage sits. There are perhaps five other people in the whole gym. Whew. It's also a chance to weigh myself, and I tip in at 206.0. I am now a man.

Front Squats (ignore the mirrors!): 115 5x3. feeling good.
    Rows: 120 5x3. gettin tight & springy. take that, xiphoid process!
    OHP: 100 5x3. oh, yeah.
    Deadlifts: I pull out the 'other' bar from its storage rack, because it's black, and that makes it better. I don't realize at first that it's also thicker. Challenge accepted. I've hidden my chalk in my bag. Not that there's anyone around to notice. 320 x 5. I set them down gentle, anyway. Boo-yah.
    No assistance work today, because people might come in and see me. Besides, I'm out of time, and hungry. Yes, I cleaned up after my chalk.
    I spend Sunday getting to know my new pressure cooker. 1 gallon of cream of mushroom soup, 2 spare quarts of bone broth taken care of. tonight is making enough chicken and rice for the week.

Tues 8/06.
    Squats: 265 5x3, gettin heavy. just a bit of GM'ing out of the hole. keeping the abz tite, tho.
    supersetted with pullups/chinups 5, 5, 5, 5. yes, only four sets, because today is all about the benching.
    Bench: I get it! 160 5x3. I make sure to rest at least 4 min between sets, pack those shoulders, grip the bar & squeeze. Then, when I think I'm ready, I do this thing called breathing. I modify it, though. deep inhale, then a quick pulse with the diaphragm against a partially closed glottis, repeated several times over about ten seconds. Barking, in other words. What the hell, it works. the last rep of the second set and last three reps of the third set are quite ugly, with the bar wanting to drift up over my face, but I grip that shit and push it.
    4 arms: 90 x 20x2
    calves: 120 x 20, 140 x 20.

So, what have I learned? I think I'm done with the 5lb jumps on bench for now. gotta get some washers or something to keep the LP going. Also, think maybe I should reprogram the chins/pulls to either later in the A workout, or spread them out to each workout and do 5x3, alternating chins/pulls, or do a certain amount every day (5x2)? Got to keep doing them, though. And consume more milk & eggs & meaty things.

Oh, and the chicken & rice in the pressure cooker? Done in 20 minutes, and Awesomely Delicious.

Thurs 8/08. I've been petitioned to change up my soundtrack ("all those songs sound the same!"). The Damned and Hendrix's Are you Experienced? are now shaking the basement.

Front Squats: 120 5x3. they're starting to pull me forward. I can feel the obliques working more. Brah.
    Rows: 125 5 x 3. ever so slightly embarrassing that these are heavier than the Front Squats. I beat them like the rented mules that they are, though. elbows to the ceiling.
    OHP: 110 5x3. these are getting tough. I take at least 3 min breaks. Gonna have to find some washers. I do not want these to stall.

Deadlifts: again already with the lifting? it's only been five days. lower back is feeling tired & stiff after 8 hours of my damn office chair. I'm trying to think of the entire preceding workout as just warmups for the deadlift.

All of life is just a warmup for the deadlift.

330 x 5. the first three are smooth and feel like reps. On the fourth, I can feel the lower back going soft, and the bar goes down hard after lockout. I normally pride myself on setting all my lifts down gently. I reset my grip for the fifth, power breathe, and get myself angry. First few inches are okay, but then the back rounds, and I'm doing my best Incredible Hulk impersonation all the way to lockout. bar goes down HARD. No assistance work today; I'm smashed. egg/chocolatemilk/coconutwater shake, Pork & cabbage stew, rotisserie chicken, and loads of sweet corn with spicybuttermayo.

Next morning, no excessive soreness to report. Everything is as sore as it should be. GAWD I LOVE DEADLIFTING. easily my favorite lift. I'm almost sorry to be taking vacation ten days from now. I'd like to try a 1RM the day before we leave, just to see where I'm at. Of course, if I hurt my back at all, it will make driving and camping a horrible challenge. I promise I will not injure myself. I will not get greedy I will not get greedy I will not get greedy.

Sat, 8.10. What a joke. I spend most of the day 'discovering' imgur. Somehow, I finally get down to business.

lower back is still recovering from deadlifts. I take it slow.
    pullups first, x5.
    squat the bar, getting nice and low, stretching out, breathing deep, don't have to poop. good sign.
    chinups, x5.
    squat 70lbs for a slow 5. warming up.
    pullups again, x3. whatever. moving on.
    squat 120 for a nice 3. let the Black Sabbath begin!
    160 x 5. feels good.
    215 x 5. yeah, I can do this. Iron Man starts playing.
    270 x 5. goddamn, that's heavy. head turns into a tomato in a microwave. I lay on the floor to catch my breath, and decompress the spine. slowing down already. Paranoid starts playing. get the fuck up: IT'S STILL YOUR MUTHAFUKING SET!
    270 x 5. I start getting that voice in my head at rep 3: what the hell are you doing? that's 1.31067961165 times your bodyweight sitting on your back! put that down! (note: I cannot actually do any math in my head during a workout.) I will not let myself stop. I do the fourth rep. I take three (or was it seven?) quick breaths, and go into rep five as slowly as I can. coming up, I get stuck almost exactly at the half-way point. time freezes, and I can almost feel myself going back down. I could attempt describing what happened next in colorful allegory, but basically all it was: I just gripped that shit and pushed. Lockout was not as much a relief as getting that bar back into the rack.
    I flop back onto the floor, filled with a mild euphoria, which is overshadowed by the dread of a third set, when my mom calls. Dad wants a reverse mortgage. game over. I didn't get shit done today. Fuck imgur. I'm still gonna eat like a dinosaur tonight. GAINZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    I spend Sunday getting to know my new pressure cooker.
    Which one do you have? (Pressure cookers are popular in Europe/Asia: this time of year it always feels like I'm PCing something, canning it or dehydrating it.)

I don't know about Black Sabbath etc. although I must confess that Mark Knopfler's famous solo from Sultans of Swing has been known to breathe life into me when I thought I was all but spent and couldn't cycle another yard.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey, Gina. I picked up a Fagor Duo 10 Quart. It was top rated in Cook's Illustrated, and the price was right. Not as big as the vintage Sears 21 Qt I got from the thrift store, but the wife is anti-aluminum cookware, so we needed something steel.

Sultans of Swing is indeed a great one.

Page 2 of 125 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast