starting strength gym
Page 23 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest for Fire

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sat. 7/12. 218#.

Wrist Roller: 2 min, 15#.

Chins: 4, Pullups: 2. Elbows be buggin me.

Squats: 45 x..., 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 250 x 5,5,5,5,5.

Bench: 45x..., 95 x 10, 115 x 5, 135 x 5, 155 x 5,5,8.

OHP: 45 x..., 95 x 10, 115 x 5, 135 x 4,3,3. 115 x 5,5,6.

KB Bent Press: 16kg, 20kg. R side is noticeably stronger than L side.

Bachelor Chow, variation #216: 1lb ground beef, sauteed in bacon grease. Stir in 2T of Fermented Green Things, and 1T of Jarlic (see below). when properly brown, stir in 1/2 cup frozen blueberries. Serve over mixed greens (or rice).

Default Fermented Green Things:

1. join a CSA.
    2. accumulate strange things.
    3. wait for someone to ask "what the eff are we gonna do with all this?
    4. Take: 1 dozen garlic scapes, 1 kohlrabi, 2 bulbs fennel, 8 tender young onions (with greens), and whatever other greens are attached to the radishes, turnips, etc. Chop them up into bits/pieces.
    5. Cram the pieces through the cuisinart cheese grater setting, to break them into smaller bits.
    6. stir in salt, pepper, lemon juice, and whey drained from some good yogurt.
    7. cram into glass jars and let sit for a few days, so people walking by are aware that you are 'creative'.
    8. eat it. go on, you paid good money for that green stuff. it's good for you. That's right, it's not so bad, is it? And there's plenty of it. Enjoy.

Default Jarlic:

1. weigh out equal amounts garlic (peeled) and ginger root.
    2. blend together in the cuisinart, with salt, apple cider vinegar, and maybe some honey.
    3. store in the freezer (this is a good recipe to do the freezing-in-ice-cube-trays-and-then-keep-in-a-ziploc thing). If you store it in the fridge, the anthocyanins will react with the acids and turn the whole thing green/blue, and while this is not dangerous in any way, it can scare sissies.
    4. anytime you need a little 'Pow!', grab a bit and toss it in whatever you're making.

Exclamation Ladies and Gentlemen: Paul Horn

"This is not your problem anymore. You embrace the fear. You love it when it feels heavy. You hate variety. You think people who make up bullshit excuses to justify their desire to do something easier are just scared, and you are not one of them. You are a lifter, and you lift heavy things. When you walk into the gym, you look around at all the bros doing arm work and five different chest exercises, and you smile because you know they don't know what you know. Or, maybe they do, but they don't have the balls to stay the course, put more weight on the bar and squat something they're afraid they can't squat. But you do that. You do that three days a week. You face your fear over and over and over. And sometimes you fail. Sometimes you can't get another rep. But you show up for your next session, and you try again. You stick to your plan. You learn how to fail. You learn how to try again. You learn that it won't kill you. And because you learned that, when life kicks you in the nuts, when your dog dies or your girlfriend dumps you or boss fires you, you can handle it. You can face it and feel it and know that you will get past it. And that, my friend, is more important that how much weight is on the bar. It's supposed to feel heavy. You're supposed to be scared. If you're not, you're not living. "

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    "This is not your problem anymore. You embrace the fear. You love it when it feels heavy. You hate variety. You think people who make up bullshit excuses to justify their desire to do something easier are just scared, and you are not one of them. You are a lifter, and you lift heavy things. When you walk into the gym, you look around at all the bros doing arm work and five different chest exercises, and you smile because you know they don't know what you know. Or, maybe they do, but they don't have the balls to stay the course, put more weight on the bar and squat something they're afraid they can't squat. But you do that. You do that three days a week. You face your fear over and over and over. And sometimes you fail. Sometimes you can't get another rep. But you show up for your next session, and you try again. You stick to your plan. You learn how to fail. You learn how to try again. You learn that it won't kill you. And because you learned that, when life kicks you in the nuts, when your dog dies or your girlfriend dumps you or boss fires you, you can handle it. You can face it and feel it and know that you will get past it. And that, my friend, is more important that how much weight is on the bar. It's supposed to feel heavy. You're supposed to be scared. If you're not, you're not living. "
    Amen brother!
    Also, you lost me at beef and blueberries. I need to be more adventurous

Mon., 7/14. 219#.

Power Cleans: 52kg x 3, 1, Fsqt x 5, 61 x 3, 70 x 2, 1,1,1.

Deadlifts: 225 x 3, 315 x 2, 365 x 1, 410 x 2. Yep. Just another Monday. Nothing too special going on, just RIPPING TREES OUT OF THE EARTH.

Deficit DL @ 1.5": first time using my straps - 320 x 3, 340 x 3. Wow. I feel like I'm cheating.

Rows: 135 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, whoah, whoah, that's enough. These could be getting out of hand. Going back to 8's for the next cycle.

Wrist Roller: 25# for 4 min. this is the only time I let myself grunt.

BB Curlz: 40 x 20. verrrry difficult to grip the bar. feels awesome.

Deadlift Day Celebration Dinner: beef liver fried in tallow, mackerel tacos, bacon, eggs over-easy, milk, beer.

Sat. 7/19. 218#.

Wrist Roller: 25# - two rounds between each squat set.

Squats: 45x..., 135 x 6, 230 x 5, 275 x 2, 320 x 5 - bad GMing on the last two, legs were on fire & shaking. 280 x 5,5.

OHP: 45x..., 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 150 x 2,2,2,2. well, that felt like something.

Roller: 35# for 3 min.

Curlz: 55 x 10, 75 x 10,10.
    LTEs: 70 x 10, 10, 10.

Mon., 7/21. 218#. Let's do this.

Power cleans: 50kg x 1, Fsqtsx5, 54.5 x 1, fsqt x 5, 59 x 3, 63.5 x 3,
    70 x 1-didn't jump hard enough, caught the bar in my hands - elbows ouch.
    x 1-jumped too hard, smashing the bar into my throat,
    x 1-jumped just right, but caught the bar on my collarbone. Good stuff. Looking forward to 75kg.

I see this guy in the squat rack without mirrors (my squat rack) squatting 405x5x3 PERFECTLY. Belt, knee sleeves, wrist wraps - perfect powerlifting depth, steady tempo, no wobbling - best LBBS I've ever seen.

Wrist Roller - whoever used it last left 50# on, so I try it. Pretty slow, but not too shabby.

Deadlifts: 225 x 4, 275 x 2, 315 x 1-tried DOH, but only got 4/5 of the way up, so I set it back down and switched to hook - counted just that rep. straps on: 355 x 8. There's no way I could have done that without straps. I'll try not to overuse them.

SLDL: 225 x 8, 8. my form is not quite figured out yet. the first rep is more of a conventional pull, with the legs staying straight after that. back is nice and straight, grip no problem. My R knee feels not right, though.

Rows: 135 x 8,8,8,8. There. Like a normal, sane person.

Exhausted. I was gonna try for some presses, but no. I still gotta walk home, walk the dog, and finish Laundry Week.

Knee is okay as long as I keep it moving - I rolled out my legs, and it's not a twanged muscle. It's definitely medial, around the condyle. Internet says it's either a Grade I sprain of the medial collateral ligament, or cancer. Some kind of valgus force during the first rep of the SLDL. Never locked my knees. Maybe too much external rotation? It felt better with toes more forward. Yes, and I still walked the dog. She's fine. Everything's fine - just a little ping. I'm walking around on it today. In fresh, clean trousers.

Medial? That sucks...I was going to say maybe its your IT band intil I read that. Hope it gets better soon...you need to keep working so rhst you get 405 5x3. You'll get there

starting strength coach development program
    Thurs., 7/24. 216.25#

Wrist Roller: 30#, 2 min.

Squats: 45x... 135 x 5, 225 x 5,5,5. Knee is perfectly fine. It's the rest of me that's dragging.

OHP: 45x..., 95 x 5, 115 x 3, 135 x 2, 150 x 3,3(really had to FIGHT for that last rep), 1, aaand nope. The effort expended in getting that stuck rep wiped me the hell out. 115 x 5,5,5,5,5 as punishment.

Wrist Roller: 35#, 3 min.

DB Alt Curlz: 30 (or 35#, couldn't read the paint) x 10,10,10.