starting strength gym
Page 5 of 125 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest for Fire

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Th., 9/26. First full workout at the real gym. 207.25#.

The squat racks are all busy, but one guy sees me coming, and tells me he's only got two sets left. he rocks them out, and I move in. Smooth. The guy in the rack next to me is pressing overhead with one of those thick strongman bars, and a suicide grip. He's about 6'2", and must be at least 375 - an absolute mountain of human.

Squats: 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 5,5,5. a light day, form is pretty good, but I'm starting to think a belt is in my future.

Bench: 45 x 10, 5, 75 x 5, 105 x 5, 145 x 5,5,5,5,5,5,5. After my third set, this other guy benching ASKS ME TO SPOT HIM! I must have at least looked like I knew something. He's got 195 loaded, and wants to go for two reps. I get my nutsack into the position, and he makes the first rep, then sticks halfway on the second. I don't grab it right away - I'm sending him telepathic signals to push through it. I wait until I'm absolutely sure the bar isn't going to rise, and just place my open palms under it, giving maybe 25 pounds of lift until he racks it. Well, that was my first spot. We didn't talk anything out beforehand, he never gave me a safe word, we didn't cuddle afterwards, and he still hasn't called. I guess that's normal.

Deadlifts! My first time using bumpers and bar jacks. I love them both. Problem is, everything's in Kilos, so I have no clue what I'm lifting.
    40 x 5,5, 80 x 5, 110 x 5, 130 x 5. That feels good enough.
    What was that, anyway? 88, 176, 242.5, and 286.6. Cool.

Next, I grab the key from the guy and let myself into the dungeon of awesome. I put 45 on the prowler, and push it around the room two laps to the right, then two to the left. Catch my breath, then two more laps right, two more left. Now I know. I know.

I love this place. Almost everyone there is stronger than I am. I feel like Conan O'Brian walking into a biker bar.

Sat, 9/28. No time for nothing this weekend. I sneak into the basement.

Front Squats: 70 x 10. just to wake up.

Bench: 70 x 8, 120 x 4, 155 x 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4. (I didn't sneak a 5 in there either!) And on with my day.

Sun, 9/29. didn't get to my ten sets of three, but did a lot of landscaping. digging out cinder blocks & moving them around, lots of shoveling and dragging the full wheelbarrow with the flat tire. Reward was a goddamn T-Bone steak.
    Tonight, Monday, I shall bust out my 165 x 10 x 3, and that shall be the end of the Smolov Jr. progression.

Mon 9/30. Last Smolov Jr. day, and also the last day of my free week at the real gym. Sigh.

Squats: 45 x 5,5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 5,5,5. That should make up for my 3,5,5 last week.

Bench: 45 x 12, 95 x 6, 135 x 3, 165 x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3. uff-da. Now, vee vait und zee.

Chinups: 3, 2, and 4. Hm.

Prowler: loaded with 90#, I push it back and forth across the room for one rep, about 35 feet each way. Eight reps. I find a 8# sledgehammer in the corner and do some mace swinging for kicks, and to feel out my shoulders.
    Nice walk home with my chocolate shake, and two plates of chicken curry with rice & potatoes for dinner. Burpalicious.

Wed. 10/02. Back in my lonely, stinky basement. oh well. now I can crank the tunes. Butthole Surfers and Queens of the Stone Age, my old standbys.

Squats: 70 x 5,5, 120 x 5, 170 x 5, 230 x 5,5,5. don't think I warmed up enough. I usually foam roll my legs more than I did. left knee was making tiny pops at random.

OHP: I can honestly say I missed these. 40 x 5,5, 70 x 5, 90 x 5, 110 x 5,5,5. I feel stronger! maybe it's the smolov jr. maybe it's my unbridled rage. It feels somehow different, though, like I can push through the sticking point by sheer will. gotta be some crossover. I could never press that much after a two/three week layoff before.

Power Cleans: every goddamn Wednesday, goddammit. 70 x 3, 120 x 3,3,3,3,4. that extra one at the end is to re-rack the bar. gonna stay at 120 until it's not a problem anymore, and I can throw that metal around. didn't bang into anything, except one rep came down on my left knee, but my teardrop muscle took the brunt of the weight. it feels fine today. gotta keep my elbows OUT, and get down under the bar. NO PULLING WITH THE ARMS.

My chocolate milk is starting to ferment - with the whey powder and eggs, it's freaking delicious! tangy and fizzzy. My wife is horrified. I remind her that yogurt happens all the time. Beef stroganoff, sans mushrooms and onions (apples and garlic instead), over rice noodles, with sweet potato puree and creamed corn for dinner. not bad.

sore today. the deadlifts from last week made my posterior shoulders sore for benching Monday. The chinups monday made me sore for PCs yesterday, and the PCs just beat me to shit everywhere. must get out of this damn work chair.

Just found you. I'm intrigued what exactly a grizzly bear with giant eagle wings and laser beam eyes would feel like. Very amusing! I will be following.
    Also, definitely get a belt. Bestbelts.com, they'll hook you up!

10/05. This is the day. 208.5# of motivation is taking over the squat rack at Allthetime Fatness.

Squats: 45 x 10, then press the bar over for Front Squats: 45 x 10.
    There, I'm warmed up and done with squats for today. Why? Because:

IT'S BENCH TIIIIME.

45 x 10, 10, 95 x 3, 135 x 2. Here goes. I start with my calculated 1RM at the start of Smolov Jr: 185 x 1. Easy, and a new PR. But, I got plenty in the tank. It's Saturday morning, and I'm alll coffeed up.
    195 x 1
    205 x 1 Could have stopped there, but I want bodyweight.
    210 x 1 there. my new PR.

I celebrate with some DB curls & presses (yes, of course, looking in the mirror!), and then some DB farmer's walks & lunges.

I go on to sing at a wedding that afternoon. All I can eat turkey, beef, smoked salmon, cheezy potatoes, and beer. The wife and I indulge with TWO pieces of cake, and go on a sugar rampage at Target, buying underwear. I crash in the women's clearance section (why no couches there?), and we split a coffee on our way home. It was a good day.

I would recommend Smolov Jr. to anybody. I wasn't sure if it would do much for me, as my bench is small to begin with, and I've less than a year lifting, and I used the minimum programmed increases, but it really helped. It ( the high sets low reps?) increased my confidence under the bar, and my ability to push through the tough reps. I have also noticed crossover strength into my press.
    Rating: Three white lights.

10/07. Ugh. Thought I was gonna get my 1/4 cow today, but the butcher isn't done freezing everything. It'll be Wednesday. Moo-Hoo.

Whatever. let's squat.

70 x 10, 120 x 5, 170 x 5, 220 x 5,
    280 x 5, 3. These are uuugly. My form is all over the place, and it's taking a long time to straighten up. I decide to cut my losses for now.

OHP: 45 x 5, 75 x 5, 95 x 3, 115 x 5,5,5. The last set almost doesn't happen. The first rep is a wobbly no-go, and comes all the way back down, but I whup myself into compliance, and push through it. The form gets better towards reps three and four, and five is a grind.

Pullups: 3, 2, 3. it is what it is.

Water consumption was down today, as was lunch consumption. I'm gonna blame it on that. I use my terrible squat form as an excuse to buy my first belt. Best Belts Prime Cut Double-Prong, 38", in Mmmahrooon. Can't weight.

Oh, and the fizzy chocolate milk? It became stinky chocolate cheese. Even I could not. It's gone now.

Just remembered a dream I had a couple nights ago. I was lifting from a squat stand on a Oly platform (which I've never done IRL), and the guy (who looked like Lyle Alzado) I was lifting with (which I've also never done) says "Y'know, the bar never falls far from the squat rack". My mind is perplexed at the meaning of this.

Default Starting Beef

starting strength coach development program
    swedish chef.jpgThe 1/4 cow is here! She was a biggie, and a meanie, so they tell me. 1078# hanging weight. I thought my freezer would be stuffed, but after packing it, there's room for at least another 1/2 cow.
    Last edited by Erok; 10-10-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Yes, this is still a training log.

Page 5 of 125 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast