starting strength gym
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my Yojo Workin'

Default Got my Yojo Workin'

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Call me Ishmael.

Given that it's been something like nine months since I last lifted, I reckon it was simpler to just start a new log.

Today I went and got a new locker at the gym.

I have two conundrums to solve.

The first is what days to train. I only need to be on campus four days a week (Mo-Th), and three of those four I don't need to arrive before 1 pm, which suits me fine. On the fourth, I need to be on campus by 9. This matters, as my damn stupid test gel is a confounder for training. I'm not keen on sweating it all over the gym, nor on showering before I lift (though that might be the simplest thing to do). I also will not be using it on Thursdays, as it's unbearably sticky (especially with multiple layers of clothing) if I can't loaf around for an hour or two without a shirt on after application.

I haven't mapped out when stuff is due for my classes yet, and don't know when I'll need to be on campus to do my research assistant business yet either, which makes planning difficult.

The second is how to train.
    My best success has been with squatting two days a week, and doing two big lifts a day with an assistance exercise, because my recovery has typically been shit. It's also relatively quicker than doing three big lifts (and maybe chins or back ex. or whatever).

This would look like:
    Day One: Squat, Press, Curl;
    Day Two: Deadlift, Bench, Row (snatches as alternate with deadlift once DL gets heavy);
    Day Three: Squat, Press, Chins (back ex, GHD, etc);

On the other, with my hormonal profile somewhat bolstered, maybe I could do SS the program successfully for a while. We all know what that would look like.

Alternatively I could do something totally different, something like Kirk and Marty's plan for novices, where you focus on one lift a day + some assistance work, and then lift four times a week (SQ/OHP/DL/BP).

The main thing I need to do is generate positive momentum, which makes me feel like the probably less-effective but also less-likely-to-burn-me-out approach is better.

Advice welcome.

Sounds like the real problem is the gel. They wouldn't let you needle up?

If I hadn't lifted for 9 months and was busy as hell I'd do SS but only one work set of 5. It requires zero thought, will quickly get you back to previous weight-on-the-bar, and will allow you to do quick workouts.

Getting back to previous levels of strength doesn't require the same stimulus. Then you can re-assess your situation and come up with a plan to hit PRs.

If I ever pull the trigger and start TRT, I'm dreaming of being able to run SS 3 days/wk for a while.

Re your proposed 3-day full-body scheme, I'd do chins 2x week and drop curls entirely. I recently made that change in my workout, the chins benefit from frequency and the curls hit anterior delts that are already sore from presses.

Congrats on getting back to training!

You can't apply it right before bed? Perhaps that way you wouldn't have to worry about transfer at the gym. Or are there potential contact issues that might make that time of application inadvisable?

Glad you can get back to the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by cjangelo View Post
    Sounds like the real problem is the gel. They wouldn't let you needle up?

If I hadn't lifted for 9 months and was busy as hell I'd do SS but only one work set of 5. It requires zero thought, will quickly get you back to previous weight-on-the-bar, and will allow you to do quick workouts.

Getting back to previous levels of strength doesn't require the same stimulus. Then you can re-assess your situation and come up with a plan to hit PRs.
    A fair point. As for switching to injection, maybe in the future? The guy I'm kind of stuck seeing insisted on going the gel route for six months for whatever reason.
    Maybe to sort out those who will put up with it because it helps, and those who won't. Also maybe kickbacks. I'm coming to the end of month three.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    If I ever pull the trigger and start TRT, I'm dreaming of being able to run SS 3 days/wk for a while.

Re your proposed 3-day full-body scheme, I'd do chins 2x week and drop curls entirely. I recently made that change in my workout, the chins benefit from frequency and the curls hit anterior delts that are already sore from presses.

Congrats on getting back to training!
    Yeah, chins twice a week might be better. Dunno. I've always neglected them like a bad boy.

Also, if your numbers are low and you feel terrible, don't hesitate. Even the gel, which is rather less effective than injection, has really brought a big change in quality of life.
    Which is why I put up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You can't apply it right before bed? Perhaps that way you wouldn't have to worry about transfer at the gym. Or are there potential contact issues that might make that time of application inadvisable?

Glad you can get back to the gym.
    Applying before bed is very much a no-go. I don't know if I'd be able to sleep with a shirt glued to me (and it really can be like glue; on a bad day peeling off a stuck piece of shirt makes an actual noise), and I don't think the wife is keen on the possibility of transfer to her. And studies show pretty clearly that transfer (with spike in blood testosterone) through even relatively short contact is possible.

How's school going?

Quote Originally Posted by cwd
    This is a great idea. I strongly agree. If you can, do the chins weighted one day, BW the other.

My doc put me straight onto shots. He said it was easier to get the insurance to pay for the shots. After reading this ii am glad!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewcar View Post
    How's school going?
    Eh. Not bad. I'm behind on writing a paper I need to write, just started the quarter, unsure what my research duties are going to be, as yet.
    Meeting with my advisor tomorrow to talk about stuff. The good thing about me not having really started on the paper yet was that it allowed my ideas to ripen a bit more, and I actually have something worthwhile to say, at this point.
    I think. Might end up just meeting the program requirements, but I hope it might end up publishable. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by cjangelo View Post
    This is a great idea. I strongly agree. If you can, do the chins weighted one day, BW the other.
    I'm a ways off from doing weighted chins, you might say. I started in on doing chins at home again this weekend w/ band and doorway, and dudes my back is hella sore. Broceps, no. Lats, oh lawd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rherington View Post
    My doc put me straight onto shots. He said it was easier to get the insurance to pay for the shots. After reading this ii am glad!
    Yes, you're a lucky chap. I'm hoping the fact that my skin seems to be getting sensitized because of the gel (all but my softest, most ancient shirts feel itchy and coarse and are hard to wear) means I can get off it soon.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast