Press
    45 x 5
    65 x 3
    75 x 5, 3, 2

DL
    135 x 5
    185 x 1
    195 x 3 x 3
    --belted, was a little apprehensive about my back, but it did fine.

The trainer obsessed with her back fat was doing real deadlifts today--185 @ BW of 115. Not bad really. Props to her although she was chasing a crossfitter she saw on TV pulling 305. So we talked about lifts as a percentage of BW. 305 @ 115 would be tremendous for her. At 115, while watching calories and exercising more than training, I think 225 would be a long term goal for her.

Anyways, then I talked to the awesome lady who's been stuck with a 275 pull for a while. She's the only person I know in real life that pulls more than me. Always great to talk to another ordinary mom lifting. I did recommend she find Andy Baker's article on deadlifting -- I don't remember what he wrote only that he wrote it for ppl with stuck deadlifts.

This is one advantage of lifting in a bigger gym rather than alone in your garage - community. Good to hear you're meeting some like-minded people. It really does lighten the load on the bar.

Indeed, Kyle.

Today I had the whole freeweights section to myself!

Sq
    45 x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 2
    175 x 2
    185 x 3 x 3

BP
    85 x 4 x 2
    85 x 4 -- failed last rep
    close grip, paused

I thought my post-surgical shoulder was aching because of the flu shot, but now I think it's because we're getting ready for rain. Yay barometer shoulder!

Test day

PC to Press
    45 x 5
    65 x 3
    75 x 1
    85 x 1
    90 x 1 PR
    95 f

Squat
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    185 x 2
    210 x 1
    220 f

DL
    135 x 5
    185 x 2, 1

Will write things up later

Default Lifting when life falls apart

So I just wrapped up another 6 week cycle with a 90lb Press PR. Haven't PR'd the press in over 6 months and I'm only 10lbs from my goal of a 100lb press. YAY!!

In week 2 of this cycle a family member made an unexpected suicide attempt. That took life from whatever it was and flushed it down the drain. At the time, knowing that life just went from an "orange light" situation to a "red light" situation, I wondered whether I should quit training. Instead, I decided to take things one week at a time with the option to bail. And obviously I made it to week 6.

I made it because my programming is effective but not efficient. It's effective in that I PR stuff. I can demonstrate that I'm stronger than I was before. But it's not as efficient as TM where 5RMs are going up weekly. But the lack of efficiency also means that each individual workout was always doable.

Back when I was running LP, setting PRs multiple times a week, I would spend a lot of energy and drive thinking about making those PRs. There was a lot of emotion involved. At the time, I could do that both physically and emotionally.

In the aftermath of the suicide attempt, I was an emotional wreck. I could not psych up for anything much less lifts, but my programming didn't require it. I did cheat a little this cycle going slightly past the 80% 1RM for a few lifts because I was too lazy to slap on smaller plates or bring in my washers. The beauty of lifting 60-80ish% 1RM is that you don't worry about missing. You come, do the work and go home. And that's what I did.

Now as to why I didn't PR the squat or DL today. Take this as a lesson learned: I should not let my test day fall on the first day of my monthly cycle. I could have done 80% work, but testing maxes was dumb. My lower back is always sore at this time and having tweaked it 2 wks ago, I decided not to test my limits. I could test again next week or just roll into my next cycle. No big deal.

So here's my SS soapbox--
    1) While yes, getting everyone to run the SS LP would be awesome and most people won't, for me, SS and PP3 did not offer a post LP program that fit my goals and priorities. SS and PP3 work best when the trainee is willing and able to make strength training a high priority.

2) My programming by Kyle Schuant has been a derivative of Dan John's Easy Strength. And it fills a hole in the discussions held in SS and PP3 about where to go after LP if gaining strength rapidly is less of a priority than maintaining strength over a life time. I won't say it's the be-all-end-all, but through this experience, I've gained a whole new perspective on what it would be like to lift over years and decades without being a strength athlete.

A good post, bluebutton, which should be read by more people. This article is also relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebutton View Post
    So I just wrapped up another 6 week cycle with a 90lb Press PR. Haven't PR'd the press in over 6 months and I'm only 10lbs from my goal of a 100lb press. YAY!!

In week 2 of this cycle a family member made an unexpected suicide attempt. That took life from whatever it was and flushed it down the drain. At the time, knowing that life just went from an "orange light" situation to a "red light" situation, I wondered whether I should quit training. Instead, I decided to take things one week at a time with the option to bail. And obviously I made it to week 6.

I made it because my programming is effective but not efficient. It's effective in that I PR stuff. I can demonstrate that I'm stronger than I was before. But it's not as efficient as TM where 5RMs are going up weekly. But the lack of efficiency also means that each individual workout was always doable.

Back when I was running LP, setting PRs multiple times a week, I would spend a lot of energy and drive thinking about making those PRs. There was a lot of emotion involved. At the time, I could do that both physically and emotionally.

In the aftermath of the suicide attempt, I was an emotional wreck. I could not psych up for anything much less lifts, but my programming didn't require it. I did cheat a little this cycle going slightly past the 80% 1RM for a few lifts because I was too lazy to slap on smaller plates or bring in my washers. The beauty of lifting 60-80ish% 1RM is that you don't worry about missing. You come, do the work and go home. And that's what I did.

Now as to why I didn't PR the squat or DL today. Take this as a lesson learned: I should not let my test day fall on the first day of my monthly cycle. I could have done 80% work, but testing maxes was dumb. My lower back is always sore at this time and having tweaked it 2 wks ago, I decided not to test my limits. I could test again next week or just roll into my next cycle. No big deal.

So here's my SS soapbox--
    1) While yes, getting everyone to run the SS LP would be awesome and most people won't, for me, SS and PP3 did not offer a post LP program that fit my goals and priorities. SS and PP3 work best when the trainee is willing and able to make strength training a high priority.

2) My programming by Kyle Schuant has been a derivative of Dan John's Easy Strength. And it fills a hole in the discussions held in SS and PP3 about where to go after LP if gaining strength rapidly is less of a priority than maintaining strength over a life time. I won't say it's the be-all-end-all, but through this experience, I've gained a whole new perspective on what it would be like to lift over years and decades without being a strength athlete.
    I'm glad you were able to train through that very difficult week 2!! I hope your family member is doing much better.
    There is more to life than lifting, but it does not mean that one can not continue to get strong with smart programing. Your work proves that.

Congratulations on that press PR! Looking forward to seeing what you do on your next training cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleli View Post
    I'm glad you were able to train through that very difficult week 2!! I hope your family member is doing much better.
    There is more to life than lifting, but it does not mean that one can not continue to get strong with smart programing. Your work proves that.

Congratulations on that press PR! Looking forward to seeing what you do on your next training cycle.
    Hey Aleli, thanks for the kind words. We're out of the initial acute, gonna-do-it-again? phase, but it's a long road out. I've never had to face anything other than my own suicidal thoughts, but WOW an actual attempt really blows stuff out of the water. We're back to normal life as in meals, laundry and shuttling kids around, but nothing is actually normal--if that makes any sense.

ANYWAYS! Another PR:

Today--
    DL
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    215 x 2
    235 x 1
    245 x 1
    255 x 1 PR
    260 f

--You'll notice that I haven't lifted for a week. Last week my daughter got a bad sinus infection and we got caught up in the detail of replacing our 14 yr old car. 255 was a very steady grind up. I think that with even a few light DL sessions last week, 260 would have been doable.

--Did some squats with the empty bar and the lower back did not feel stable. May not test the squat and just move on in programming.

You did the right thing, don't worry about the squat.

PRs in press and deadlift with an imperfect attendance and drama in the personal life. You've done very well.

Default Physics will not be denied

starting strength coach development program
    As I was unloading the bar after deadlifts, I was distracted and left my foot in a place where when the bar was unexpectedly free of the weight, it descended rapidly on my big toe. Said big toe is now a brilliant shade of bluish purple. Quick xrays show it's not broken, but having read of others' mishaps with falling plates, I know I was just lucky.

Physics will not be denied. Be more careful than I was, all y'all.

Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast