starting strength gym
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bluebutton's Log

Default Bluebutton's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up: My schedule has changed and so I'm doing my best to maintain strength until I can get back to a regular gym. In the mean time, here's my garage workout as programmed by Kyle Aaron, a version of Dan John's Easy Strength

(weight x reps x sets)
    PC to:
    Press
    30lb x 5 x 2
    40lb x 3 x 3

Front squat
    50lb x 5 x 2
    60lb x 3 x 3

Farmer's walks
    33lb/hand
    :20 / 1:40 intervals x 8

Happy New Year and Happy Lifting, everyone!

Default Just go back to the beginning

Here's the story up to now.

My SS 2013 Log
    My detour to shoulder surgery log (Aug 2013-Nov 2013)

Current stats:
    Female, 5'4" (still), 34, 2 kids
    160lb (I blame holiday cookies, plus trying to push my DL up)

Work weights (lbs) last week/last week of 2013
    Squat 172.5
    Press 60
    BP 60
    DL 240

2013 PRs
    Squat 175
    BP 80*
    Press 82.5
    DL 240
    PC 105**

*Since April 2013, I've used the BP as a Press assistance exercise, so I've never tried to BP more than my press work weight.

** The PC was the first exercise I stopped before surgery. After surgery, DL gains were consistent without needing PC to drive them up, so I never went back to them.

I took a huge break from most of my normal responsibilities in 2013. At that point, I had spent 2 winters back to back dealing with depression, and I was tired. With the time freed up, I joined a gym for the first time and ran the SS program. I made more strength gains than I thought possible.

This winter, we treated the depression as seasonal affective disorder and I started taking an anti-depressant in Sept or Oct. It's been wonderful to have a "normal" winter.

In 2014, I'm taking back on several of the things I put aside last year. To accommodate this, I've cancelled my gym membership. However, maintaining strength is still a priority for me. However, I've been told and have read that maintenance is not actually a goal. So practically speaking, I'm just slowing the gains down, bumping up weight over longer intervals.

Before shoulder surgery, I happened across a great Craigslist deal for a 15lb standard bar and over 200lbs in weights for $40. All I wanted was the standard bar for rehabbing my shoulder. Anyways, I'm now using these weights in my garage.

The current plan for Jan-Feb is to lift M-F doing

PC to
    Press
    5 x 2
    3 x 3

Front squat
    5 x 2
    3 x 3

With the weight being between 40-55lbs for the Press and the Front squat between 90-120lbs.

Today from shoes on to shoes off took 14 minutes.

Twice a week I'll add Farmer's walks in which I carry a heavy dumbbell in each hand.

In the summer, we'll probably get a YMCA membership for the kids. At that time, I'll be able to go back to a more familiar SS/PP program. It'll be fun to see where I'm at on the lifts at that point. If the DL continues to be my friend, I'll see if I can hit 315 by fall.

Today's workout

PC to
    Press
    40 x 5 x 2
    50 x 3 x 3

FS
    60 x 5 x 2
    70 x 3 x 3

--FS is still a new movement that I feel I'm able to hold together because the weight is light. I can only imagine how much harder this would be if I didn't have a DL so much higher than this weight.

Congrats on finding a new plan that will work well for you! You've been very determined so far, and I'm sure you'll do will with your "slowing down" plan. I look forward to seeing how this all pans out!

Well done, keep going.

Remember to retest maxes every 6 weeks, and then either up the floor & ceiling weights, or change some of the exercises out for new ones.

PC to
    Press
    40 x 5 x 2
    50 x 3 x 3

FS
    60 x 5 x 2
    70 x 3 x 3

Did this while the kids ate lunch, popping back in the kitchen between sets. Youngest still sick and it's thrown the whole week wacky.

It's great that you've found a routine that will tide you over - looking forward to following!

Thanks, all, for the encouragement!

PC to
    Press
    45 x 5 x 2
    55 x 3 x 3

FS
    65 x 5 x 2
    75 x 3 x 3

I meant to do FS 60, 70, but got lazy and didn't want to fish out the 2.5lb plates. 65 went up easily, so I figured I'd see what 75 felt like. Went up well, but I need to get my camera in the garage so I can see what I'm doing. Most of the strain on the FS is actually at my wrist, I'm hoping things stretch out as I continue on.

While the rest of America has been putting on it's best Alaskan imitation, it was a balmy 33 dgr F (1 C) in the garage. I held my hands in my armpits between sets. Cold bar.

Same as yesterday, but warmer. Re watched rip's front squat video which was helpful.

starting strength coach development program
    Same as yesterday, even warmer and drizzling.

Added a loaded carry: 50lb plate for 300 yds x 2. Gah.

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast