starting strength gym
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's 5/3/1 log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Slightly happier to hear that others have issues with certain weights too. Squat will be 107.5kg tomorrow so will have to push through the mental block again no doubt.

Week 2 - Bench

3 x 65kg
    3 x 75kg
    6 x 83.5kg (a rep record)

Week 2 - Squat

3 x 85kg
    3 x 96kg
    5 x 107·5kg (a rep record)

Into unknown territory today with the squat. Never gone to proper depth with as heavy a load before. 4 from 4 on the rep records this week. Think I have earned my whisky tonight!

Week 3 - Deadlift

1 RM testing today in preparation for my (slow) race to 200 kg with Rugbysmartarse.

I jumped the gun a little on Saturday whilst grocery shopping.........I had promised myself a bottle of Lagavulin 16 year old whisky if I pulled 165 kg today, but the temptation to buy it was too much to resist. Fortunately the motivation was soon restored when my girlfriend threatened to hide it from me if I failed 165. Game on then.......

140 kg x 1
    155 kg x 1 (new PR)
    165 kg x 1 (new PR)

170 kg x 1 - failed twice. I guess I used up all my nervous energy on 165 and my starting position was slack. 165 came up a lot smoother than I had feared, but 170 didn't even get off the floor!!

So I'm happy, exhausted, full of beef stew and looking forward to that sweet, sweet Lagavulin tonight. Here's to the magical 200 kg folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Danby View Post
    Week 3 - Deadlift

1 RM testing today in preparation for my (slow) race to 200 kg with Rugbysmartarse.

I jumped the gun a little on Saturday whilst grocery shopping.........I had promised myself a bottle of Lagavulin 16 year old whisky if I pulled 165 kg today, but the temptation to buy it was too much to resist. Fortunately the motivation was soon restored when my girlfriend threatened to hide it from me if I failed 165. Game on then.......

140 kg x 1
    155 kg x 1 (new PR)
    165 kg x 1 (new PR)

170 kg x 1 - failed twice. I guess I used up all my nervous energy on 165 and my starting position was slack. 165 came up a lot smoother than I had feared, but 170 didn't even get off the floor!!

So I'm happy, exhausted, full of beef stew and looking forward to that sweet, sweet Lagavulin tonight. Here's to the magical 200 kg folks!
    haha, congrats on the 165kg! Enjoy your liquor - have lots, go on it won't hurt...

Week 3 - OH Press

5 x 51 kg
    3 x 57.5 kg
    3 x 63.5 kg (a default rep record - I've never done 3 reps on a max effort set before)

I knew it would be tough today after yesterday's 1 RM session on the deadlift. I would have been happy to only get the minimum 1 rep on the last set to be brutally honest, so to get 3 was a nice bonus. Still feel tired though and I can feel the DOMs now starting to set in on my upper back. Day off tomorrow so I plan to eat well and sleep late!

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I avoid the liquor store so I don't have to explain to my wife how I spend $100+ every time I go. I did sneak a bottle of Wild Turkey into my cart at Costco, though. The temptation to build a collection is simply too great!
    My gf positively encourages me to buy new ones to try. I have since discovered that this is female for "eventually you will get one I like and I can drink it for free". Sneaky little minx has got a taste for my Dalwhinnie 15 now........

Week 3 - Bench Press

5 x 70 kg
    3 x 78.5 kg
    5 x 87.5 kg (a rep record)

Happy with another rep record albeit by 1.5 kg only. Slowly, slowly, catch a monkey and all that.......

Week 3 - Squat

5 x 90 kg
    3 x 102.5 kg
    3 x 113.5 kg (a default rep record)

Slept poorly last night and felt it too. Got the min reps I wanted on the last set, but had nothing else left in the tank.

1 PR and 3 rep records this week sounds pretty good, but I am concerned my squat isn't going up as fast I would like. Time to re-visit the gospel and double check my form.

Week off next week so hopefully I will be refreshed and ready to tear into it on my return.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Chin up, attack it next time. It's a PR, man, this is why we do this. I know the feel, ran Smolov Jr for three weeks for bench and only hit a 5lb PR (220-225) and was very upset, but after a few hours it settled in that I worked and fought to gain that 5lbs, and no one can ever take it away from me.

I would advise against using 1RM calculators, as well. I don't think they work well, and comparing it with the high reps on the 5 day to the low reps on the 1 day always looked like I was loosing progress every cycle.
    Thanks for the feedback allent. On reflection everything is still going up so I am happy enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Back to it today after a week off. It hit me like a truck - one of them big mothers too.

D/L

5 x 97.5 kg
    5 x 112.5 kg
    7 x 127.5 kg (by some fluke this was a rep record, but it was 3/4 reps short of what I had wanted).

Nothing seemed to fire today. Lower back, hips and pelvis all feel tight. I should have paid more attention to stretching last week. A lesson learned hopefully.......

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast