Old but fresh Old but fresh - Page 2

starting strength gym
Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 557

Thread: Old but fresh

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, md
    Posts
    1,022

    Default

    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You're welcome!

    I'm curious though. Why the TBDL's along with the squats and regular DL's? Just a way of varying and switching the load structures? Anyway, maybe we'll see each other down the road in a meet. The atmosphere gets pretty rarified and lonesome above the Master's 50+ groups and while the younger guys are great to chat with and very supportive, it's good to have someone closer to your own age to talk to.
    It helps me mentally. My problem on DL is I let the bar wonder in front of me instead of dragging it up my shins which seems so unnatural to me. At higher weights, this tends to send a "message" to my lower back. With trap bar, pretty easy motion to pull it straight up. Allows me to pull higher weights and hopefully reinforce a more vertical pull. Also, psychologically, it helps me on higher DLs to "know" I can lift the weight since I have done so with the trap bar.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    29,988

    Default

    OK. This may sound patronizing although I certainly don't intend it that way. Have you read Starting Strength on form? I had all the same issues you did with the DL and the same confidence building practices with the TBDL you describe. But once I got the set up and form flaws corrected at a seminar, I haven't touched the TBDL. Head, neck, and eye gaze are key for me in that lift after I got the mid foot set up down. After that, much of the rest fell in to place. Of course stef hammering the rest into the right structure helped in that immensely.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, md
    Posts
    1,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    OK. This may sound patronizing although I certainly don't intend it that way. Have you read Starting Strength on form? I had all the same issues you did with the DL and the same confidence building practices with the TBDL you describe. But once I got the set up and form flaws corrected at a seminar, I haven't touched the TBDL. Head, neck, and eye gaze are key for me in that lift after I got the mid foot set up down. After that, much of the rest fell in to place. Of course stef hammering the rest into the right structure helped in that immensely.
    Mark,

    thanks, I will re-read. I read awhile ago and have since read so much on iron-related topics, it has all kind of merged together.


    Not patronizing at all ( If I want to be patronized , I go to E &P forum)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Welcome to the forum, old guy! Nice lifts you got there. In addition to the re-read, you might take a look at the DVD. Lots of good tips on the set up. Mark is right on the connection between the set up and the lift going up. Looking forward to your progress.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, md
    Posts
    1,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    Welcome to the forum, old guy! Nice lifts you got there. In addition to the re-read, you might take a look at the DVD. Lots of good tips on the set up. Mark is right on the connection between the set up and the lift going up. Looking forward to your progress.
    thanks - will have to get the DVD.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, md
    Posts
    1,022

    Default

    squats -

    185 x 10 x 1 set
    225 x 3 reps x 10 sets - 45 seconds between sets

    bench

    185 x 5 reps
    205 x 3 reps
    225 x 3 reps
    235 x 3 reps x 5 sets

    farmer's walks

    100 lb dbs x 40 yards x 6

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    One more "oldster" just stopping by.

    Go get 'em.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, md
    Posts
    1,022

    Default

    Unintentional conditioning day. Shovel 1 foot of snow from 140 ft driveway. Nice workout.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Coon Rapids Minnesota
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Nice, did you do it in proper HIIT intervals? If not it doesn't count.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, md
    Posts
    1,022

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahavol View Post
    Nice, did you do it in proper HIIT intervals? If not it doesn't count.
    You mean I have to do it again ?

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •