starting strength gym
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast

Thread: Old but fresh

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Thanks Oldster. I would comment on your lifts but it is too humbling - you have benched more than I have squatted.
    Shoot, ain't nothing big. Old hat once you've done it. It's the chase that's most fun!

Sandbag carry

175lb x 80 yds
    Wow! No kidding? What is it, sand you carry against your chest, bear-hug style? I can't imagine packing it on a shoulder, my low back would be screaming after a couple steps. Impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Shoot, ain't nothing big. Old hat once you've done it. It's the chase that's most fun!

Wow! No kidding? What is it, sand you carry against your chest, bear-hug style? I can't imagine packing it on a shoulder, my low back would be screaming after a couple steps. Impressive!
    yeah - bear hug style.

No big thing ? I saw in the other thread, benching 300 x 10 reps x 3 sets - there may be 5 guys, at the most, on this site that could do that ...

Strong work with the sandbag, OG! Bearhug carries are brutal.

yeah - bear hug style.
    Heh, breathing is what stops you, isn't it? The reason I ask is because I used to have a flat rock I carried around. Found it in a quarry, shaped like Africa. It was about 5" thick and extended from my neck to 'about' my beltline, about 2' wide at the top. Heavy SOB, but I never weighed it. It was the perfect shape, except for breathing. Once I started panting and puffing hard, my abdomen pressed outward just enough where it made things difficult to catch my breath. It was a lack of oxygen stopping me, rather than weight/fatigue. Do you find the same thing?

No big thing ? I saw in the other thread, benching 300 x 10 reps x 3 sets - there may be 5 guys, at the most, on this site that could do that ...
    No, not to me. Once I've done something, it seems to lose it's magic luster. Always figured close gripping 300 would make me a he-man-woman-hater, until I did it. Same thing with 350 for a single, and then 5 sets of 5. Nope. When I went over 400lbs for my close grip, figured that would be the really impressive thing, but alas, wrong again. There's nothing I've reached that can't be done by anyone else weighing 200 or more.

IMG_3455.jpg

Oldster - you are right , a good bear hug grip and you are good for awhile but it just chokes the air out of you. Alternatively, you can do what I did in competiton and carry a 200lb sandbag like this....LOL

Are your biceps the first thing to give out that way? I'm new to the idea of a competition sandbag carry. How does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Are your biceps the first thing to give out that way? I'm new to the idea of a competition sandbag carry. How does it work?
    sorry - it was meant to be funny /self-deprecating. I was in a strongman competition a month ago - this was one of the events- a 200lb sandbag carry for 80 (?) ft for speed. I rushed the pick up and never had a good grip. Lost it and dropped bag about 20 feet from finish line and reached down and picked up as quickly as possible. The pic is of my carry position with the hasty second grip. This certainly sucks to carry like this. Bear hug is way easier ( notwithstanding the breathing issue)

Oh, I get it! Makes sense. How did you do in your competition?

I will be our of gym for a month or two. Sudden change in vision turns out to be detached retina. Surgery in 2 days - no lifting for awhile. Good luck to all...

starting strength coach development program
    That sucks, I hope all goes well. A little rest and you'll be stronger than ever.

Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast