starting strength gym
Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Old but fresh

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You're welcome!

I'm curious though. Why the TBDL's along with the squats and regular DL's? Just a way of varying and switching the load structures? Anyway, maybe we'll see each other down the road in a meet. The atmosphere gets pretty rarified and lonesome above the Master's 50+ groups and while the younger guys are great to chat with and very supportive, it's good to have someone closer to your own age to talk to.
    It helps me mentally. My problem on DL is I let the bar wonder in front of me instead of dragging it up my shins which seems so unnatural to me. At higher weights, this tends to send a "message" to my lower back. With trap bar, pretty easy motion to pull it straight up. Allows me to pull higher weights and hopefully reinforce a more vertical pull. Also, psychologically, it helps me on higher DLs to "know" I can lift the weight since I have done so with the trap bar.

OK. This may sound patronizing although I certainly don't intend it that way. Have you read Starting Strength on form? I had all the same issues you did with the DL and the same confidence building practices with the TBDL you describe. But once I got the set up and form flaws corrected at a seminar, I haven't touched the TBDL. Head, neck, and eye gaze are key for me in that lift after I got the mid foot set up down. After that, much of the rest fell in to place. Of course stef hammering the rest into the right structure helped in that immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    OK. This may sound patronizing although I certainly don't intend it that way. Have you read Starting Strength on form? I had all the same issues you did with the DL and the same confidence building practices with the TBDL you describe. But once I got the set up and form flaws corrected at a seminar, I haven't touched the TBDL. Head, neck, and eye gaze are key for me in that lift after I got the mid foot set up down. After that, much of the rest fell in to place. Of course stef hammering the rest into the right structure helped in that immensely.
    Mark,

thanks, I will re-read. I read awhile ago and have since read so much on iron-related topics, it has all kind of merged together.

Not patronizing at all ( If I want to be patronized , I go to E &P forum)

Welcome to the forum, old guy! Nice lifts you got there. In addition to the re-read, you might take a look at the DVD. Lots of good tips on the set up. Mark is right on the connection between the set up and the lift going up. Looking forward to your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    Welcome to the forum, old guy! Nice lifts you got there. In addition to the re-read, you might take a look at the DVD. Lots of good tips on the set up. Mark is right on the connection between the set up and the lift going up. Looking forward to your progress.
    thanks - will have to get the DVD.

squats -

185 x 10 x 1 set
    225 x 3 reps x 10 sets - 45 seconds between sets

bench

185 x 5 reps
    205 x 3 reps
    225 x 3 reps
    235 x 3 reps x 5 sets

farmer's walks

100 lb dbs x 40 yards x 6

One more "oldster" just stopping by.

Go get 'em.

Unintentional conditioning day. Shovel 1 foot of snow from 140 ft driveway. Nice workout.

Nice, did you do it in proper HIIT intervals? If not it doesn't count.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahavol View Post
    Nice, did you do it in proper HIIT intervals? If not it doesn't count.
    You mean I have to do it again ?

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast