starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Insert Witty Log Name Here

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    9/24/14

Pause Bench: 157.5x3x5; 142.5x8 (touch and go)
    Front Squats: 115x3, 125x3, 135x3
    Pullups: 7 min, 7 sets of 3 reps (21 total)

Seems like you're making some good progress here. Really nice work on hitting 135 press. How do the big wheels feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Levon_Xidyn View Post
    Seems like you're making some good progress here. Really nice work on hitting 135 press. How do the big wheels feel?
    Thanks man. Been really frustrated that I can't reach a 315lb squat on LP. But progress is progress. Hitting 135lb OHP for a single wasn't easy, but I was really excited to have 45lb plates on the bar. Makes it look like I'm pressing real weights overhead. Not that anybody is watching me in my dungeon of a garage.

I have the worst program ADD. I'm considering switching to Jordan's GSLP variation for squats, and gobbling down +4k cals a day while doing so. Been holding 180lbs while eating ~3750 cals a day.

So I sat down on a chair without my shirt on, and my 5 year old says to me, "why are you getting fat?" while pointing at my belly. Good question. Not sure why I'm choosing to get fat so I can lift more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Thanks man. Been really frustrated that I can't reach a 315lb squat on LP. But progress is progress. Hitting 135lb OHP for a single wasn't easy, but I was really excited to have 45lb plates on the bar. Makes it look like I'm pressing real weights overhead. Not that anybody is watching me in my dungeon of a garage.

I have the worst program ADD. I'm considering switching to Jordan's GSLP variation for squats, and gobbling down +4k cals a day while doing so. Been holding 180lbs while eating ~3750 cals a day.
    It's a great milestone for press
    Felt pretty awesome when I first got it too. As long as you keep progressing. I'm sure you'll hit 315. If it's not in LP, so be it. Strength is a long term thing though (although it's nice when it comes quick) and you'll surpass 315 in the future as long as you stay consistent and keep on grinding

As far as the weight gain, if it's getting out of hand hold back on eating some. it's up to you how far you take it, but the process is fairly slow and will require some extra fat. while extra weight helps move heavier weight, getting stronger does too. So, even if you cut back you can still keep getting stronger albeit maybe a little slower.

I'm no expert, or all that strong either though so...there's my shitty advice, whatever it's worth.

9/26/14

OHP: 127.5x3 (almost failed last rep); 120 x3/3/3/5
    Squat: 250x3x5 (was gonna attempt more reps on last set, but velcro belt came undone)
    Curls

Quick sessions with only 3 minutes rest between sets, since company is coming over for dinner. Good session overall considering I worked a 1/2 day digging up dirt, and didn't rest much between sets. Monday should be solid after a weekend off, and lots of calories.

10/15/2014

I've been staying away from the SS forum so I don't feed my programming ADD, and have been having great success with Jordan's GSLP variation. Until the weekend that is. Had some fun playing two hand touch football with some friends and injured my lower back doing so. Jumped up to catch the ball, got hit mid air, and landed just above my tailbone.

Went to deadlift today and had to drop 70lbs off the bar! Big bummer since the October meet is next week. Was making great progress towards PR's on all lifts, and I have to kill it all with a lower back injury. Ugh

10/25/14

Did Bill Stars injury protocol for a week, and then took the last couple days off.

Went to the San Antonio Iron Fest today. Lots of big strong dudes lifting there. One of the guys OHP 300lbs!. I ended up getting a 275 squat, 135 OHP, and 315 DL. I think the OHP tied my PR, and the DL was a 20lb PR. The DL was probably overreaching since I injured my lower back 2 weeks ago, but oh well. I hit a 280lb squat a couple weeks ago, but went conservative today on the squat.

Glad I went and will probably continue to go in the future. Followed Jordan's instructional on cutting weight before a meet just for the heck of it (except I had a lot more fat than he called for). Dropped from 183.4 to 177.8 in a week by lowering carbs, sodium, and water. I'll find out tomorrow morning how much of it I get back right away.

Tried doing a deload on squats yesterday (5x 40/50/60%), and couldn't get past 50% without lots of lower back pain. Lower back feels really tight today. Need to use a tennis ball judiciously, and take a few days off completely. I think I'll do the Bill Star rehab for the full 2 weeks and see how things are from there. Wasn't too wise on my part to try to set a DL PR on Saturday after a lower back injury, but oh well.

starting strength coach development program
    Took the rest of last week off, and re-started Bill Starr's rehab protocol today. Lower back is finally feeling ok. I think it just needed some good rest, food, and lots of foam rolling and tennis ball use. I'm gonna try to be patient, do the full two weeks of "rehab", and then re-start GSLP again at a fairly light weight. Hopefully I'll progress further this time around since I plan on eating enough to gain ~1lb a week.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast