starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insert Witty Log Name Here

Default Insert Witty Log Name Here

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    6/16/14

I'm giving GSLP (greyskull linear progression) a whirl after a couple months of re-starting SS. Wasn't sure if it was wise to title my log "GSLP", given the program's history (let the informed reader understand). Visited the other forum and didn't like the "villain outlaw" atmosphere, so that's why I'm sticking around here.

After reading one of Tom Narvaez's articles recently, I realized I needed to set some goals for myself, and Tom told me that GSLP was more in line with my goals than SS. Anyways, my old log is here:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=47797
    Probably going to do pushups and chin ups on "off days", and work in some conditioning and low-intensity cardio throughout the week as well.

Today's lifts:

OHP: 97.5x5x2; 97.5x11 (AMRAP)
    Chin Ups: 10lbsx6x2
    Squat: 220x5x2; 220x11 (like a machine!!! AMRAP)
    Neck curls
    Behind back forearm curls 50lbsx30x2

Woke up feeling exhausted and sore, but once I got warmed up was lifting like a machine. OHP was great. Had the strength for a couple more reps, but the lactic acid burn was killing me. Gave myself a "pep talk" for a couple minutes before my last squat set to get my head into "beast mode." Was pretty sure rep #8 was going to be a grinder, but it went up so easy I kept going. Had enough strength in the take for a couple more reps, but was breathing heavy, felt light headed, and was shaky, so figured safety was more important than more reps. I've never lifted above 185 for more than 8 reps before. We'll see how my legs feel tomorrow... All in all, had a great day of lifting, and am looking forward to seeing what a GSLP run does for me!

welcome to the "general" section, where the degenerates fuck about.

out of curiosity, What are your goals that Tommy N suggested suited GSLP better?

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    out of curiosity, What are your goals that Tommy N suggested suited GSLP better?
    Basically told him that I was wanting a program that would help me "look strong", and not just lift heavy weights and get fat. He said that GSLP was a good mix of strength/hypertrophy, plus I can do conditioning work with it to help keep the gut in check. I'm not looking for washboard abs, but I would like to look like I lift. Got tired of being known as the "tall lanky fellow." Plus, GSLP allows for what Tom N calls "freedom from outcome" (with AMRAP sets), whereas I beat myself up with SS whenever I failed a lift and had to reset it. Resets with GSLP are fun because you AMRAP the last set. Keeps the mind fresh (at least that's the idea).

cheers, understand totally on the aesthetics stuff.

6/17/14

20 min quick walk after dinner. Felt too sore to do anything else. Serious DOMS from the high rep squats Monday.

6/18/14

Bench: 140x5x2; 140x12 (more than last time! AMRAP)
    EZ drag curls: 65lbs x10/12 (curl up, drag down body)
    Close-Grip Bench: 117.5x8x2
    DL: 270x7 (rested 60-90s between pulls)
    Neck Curls
    Behind back forearm curls: 55x30x2

BW: 175.8lbs
    Waist: 35.25"

Happy with the bench numbers. I don't think I'll be stalling at 152.5 like I did with 3x3. Never tried drag curls before, serious pump from that. Close-grip bench felt easy. DL form was iffy on the last 3 reps. May need to do a reset soon to focus on good form.

Not happy at all with the waist growth. I've gained 10lbs over the last 3 months (just under 1lb a week), but I've gone from a 32.75" waist to a 35.25" one. At this rate I'll be a fatty once I hit 185lbs. Got to figure out conditioning work and carb intake/timing. Over the last week I've averaged 3800 cals, 373/238/95 (c/p/f). Carbs are higher on lifting days, less on non-lifting days.

6/19/14

Work day at grandad's property. Helped him dig a few holes for gate posts, and mix and pour concrete. Sure was humid outside.

6/20/14

OHP: 100x5x2; 100x11
    Chin Ups: 10lbs x6/7
    Squat: 225x5x2; 225x8
    Neck Curls
    Behind back forearm curls: 60x30x2

Lower back was fatigued from deadlifts on Wednesday, and digging holes yesterday, so only got 8 reps on last squat set. One of the nice things about GSLP is I can do what I feel like on the last set. I think after taking the weekend off my lower back should feel pretty good. Might give hiit a try on the rower tomorrow morning.

6/21/14

6 rounds HIIT with a cheap rower (Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine). 20s high intensity, 100s low. Either I had the resistance up too high, or the unit is too cheap row quickly on it. May try jump roping or burpees instead. I've got a tire I could drag in the backyard too. I'll figure something out here soon.

Had a friend from church come over today and taught him how to properly squat, OHP, and deadlift. Helped him with programming since he's been admittedly just been fooling around the gym for the last two months. He weighs 175 at 5'6", and has a much stronger upper body than I do. Wish I could get an above bodyweight bench after fooling around for just 2 months at the gym (though, he has a dip stating at his apartment that he uses, so that's probably helped a lot).

Jsutt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Lower back was fatigued from deadlifts on Wednesday, and digging holes yesterday, so only got 8 reps on last squat set. One of the nice things about GSLP is I can do what I feel like on the last set. I think after taking the weekend off my lower back should feel pretty good. Might give hiit a try on the rower tomorrow morning.
    That's the good thing about RPE and AMRAP sets - seems to me that 225x8 with a fatigued lower back is is going to have much of the same training effect as 220x11 fresh. Nice work man, keep it up.

6/23/14

Bench: 142.5x5x2; 142.5x12 (AMRAP)
    Seated DB Curls: 25lbs x13/15
    Close-Grip Bench: 120x8x2
    Squat: 230x5x2; 230x10 (AMRAP)
    Neck Curls
    Behind back forearm curls: 65lbs x25/28

Woke up with a frozen shoulder, probably from sleeping on my right side funky last night. Was worried it would cause problems for my bench, so I spent ~15 minutes with a racket ball and doing dynamic stretches. I think the offending area is at the top of my lats and the rhomboid.

Bench felt really good today. I think I may be finally figuring out "leg drive" with it. I had none before and lifted the same weight with my feet on the bench as on the ground. Second set of squats made me want to cry; I really hate squatting. Rested 10 minutes before the 3rd set, and cranked up the Imperial March by Epica for it (yes I'm a big Star Wars nerd). Ears started to ring after the 10th rep and my hearing dropped for a few seconds, so thought it was a good time to stop. Last month I miserably failed 3x3 @ 235lbs, so I think the extra volume with 3x5 with last set being AMRAP is doing wonders for my squat.

starting strength coach development program
    I also just modified my ss to become gslp, and i like it so far for the same reasons, thanks for blazing that trail.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast