starting strength gym
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of the Rat

Arrow Return of the Rat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    New log here, as I have now completely lost all claim to be a competitive lifter. Cross-country move, a ton of work travelling and being bitten by the happy fun depression monkey all got in the way, and I am pathetically weaker than I have been in years.
    Current goals are very very low: get my training mojo back, continue fixing a dodgy left lower-back/SI joint problem, and learn again how to do a bloody chinup.

Basic info: female, about 5'4'', 65kg , 28 and a post-doc astrophysicist, in the central UK.

Have been mainly deadlifting recently, going from 65kg x5 up over the past few weeks.
    Tonight:
    Deadlift: 60x5, 70x5, 80x1, 85x5
    OHP:20x5, 25x5, 27.5 x 4,3,3
    Squat with pause: 30x5, 35x5, 40x5
    Chinup: 1,1,1 Still have to start with a little step, but doing the negatives very slow, ratchet style.
    Row: 40x5,5,5

Bit of bouldering yesterday, only V0s as I am pathetic at that again too.
    Tonight:
    deadlift 40x5,5 60x5, 70x21 Interesting challenge and I like to think my technique is pretty good so I can risk the high reps.
    front squat 30x3x3
    power clean 40x3x3
    OHP 20x5, 25x3, 27.5x4x3
    chins 1,1 with step, 1 very nearly dead hanged.

Run on Sunday, 2 miles straight in 19:44
    Lost a lot here too.
    TOday:
    deadlift: 40x5,5, 60x5, 70x5, 80x1, 87.5x5 Hard. Bloody hard. Might get another 2.5kg not much more like this
    ohp 20x5, 25x3, 27.5x5,4,2 Crashed out. Hungry
    Squat 27.5x5, 40x5, paused, then 40x5,5 Whatever is wrong with my back, each time since Jan I've tried squatting has set it off. That said, so did walking, lying in bed too long and basically anything. Trying to be conservative though.
    chins 1,1,1 This close to a proper dead hang...

Hello! I moved to the UK earlier this year. Have you found any issues with running and your back?

Hey! Where'd you move from? UK gyms are pretty variable. My current Uni one has a load of coloured plastic gimmiks and a weights room jammed in the corner.

With running, the problem is mainly just that muscles get tight and I have to lie on the floor for a bit. However, I did sack off the running while it was really bad. It doesn't seem to make it worse, it's just annoying, but I hate running anyway.

Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by hrat View Post
    Hey! Where'd you move from? UK gyms are pretty variable. My current Uni one has a load of coloured plastic gimmiks and a weights room jammed in the corner.

With running, the problem is mainly just that muscles get tight and I have to lie on the floor for a bit. However, I did sack off the running while it was really bad. It doesn't seem to make it worse, it's just annoying, but I hate running anyway.
    Actually moved from Korea - I'm US Air Force. How many miles a week do you usually run for?

Nice to see you back hrat!

I barely run: couple miles at most. I don't enjoy it much and there's things I prefer so only once a week. I pushed it up to twice while training for a 10K back in May, but more than that is rare. Got me a 61:30 which was pretty damn good for me.

It is good to be back. I tried to hang on to my gym time, but it just didn't work out. However, I am back now.

Last night:
    deadlift 75x21
    I have returned to girly ratios: 5RM about 90kg, 21RM >75kg. I suppose that proves one trains expression of strength as well as strength.
    press: 27.5x5, 4, 3 1/2
    squat 42.5 3x5
    chins 1,2,1,1 with just a step off the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Yesterday was a 2 mile run. 19:03 and apart from dead calves, could have gone longer.
    Today:
    deadlift 90x5 hard work. Not got another 2.5 jump I don't think. Time to back down a bit and do more reps.
    press 27.5 x 5, 5, 1 Just ran out completely.
    chins 2,2,2 with the step.
    Forgot/didn't have lunch so energy not the best. Ah well, the 90kg is back in the acceptable range at least.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast